Update 88: Shenmue Documentary Film, Shenmue I & II, Other Info

Is there even an official Facebook page? If I'm looking at the one that I think you are, it was created in late 2017 and doesn't seem to be linked to/referenced from the official Shenmue 3 site or Twitter - may just be a fan.

https://facebook.com/ShenmueOfficial

It's linked in a recent update if you want to check.

we have the right to know what's really going on behind their closed doors

We really don't, and this kind of entitled attitude will lead to more negative impressions of the game when the developers feel pressured to show it in the kind of state the public is not used to seeing.

You donated your money, and if all goes well, you'll get your selected rewards. That's where the formal backer/creator relationship ends. You're not an investor, you're not a shareholder, and you won't have a claim to Yu's first born if the project goes belly-up.

Thanks - that was the one I looked at but didn't realize it had been linked previously. It does have a weirdly "excited" tone about the Gamescom bit.

Even the update itself is strange in saying that Yu will not be there but not addressing the game itself. The optimist in me hopes that they wanted to let folks know something (and curb any disappointment of someone hoping to meet Yu there), but they can't say about the game as Deep Silver hasn't announced their Gamescom lineup yet (and since they are now helping to market...).

We really don't, and this kind of entitled attitude will lead to more negative impressions of the game when the developers feel pressured to show it in the kind of state the public is not used to seeing.

I think the thought is that it should be past that state if the game is truly releasing next year (with a demo/trial releasing prior to the full release). I understand that it doesn't serve them well to work on a vertical slice simply for a trade show, but what about some of the systems that are presumably farther along, such as battling?

Last edited:
I’m sure Suzuki is working hard on the game and he needs to focus his attention on it. Apparently, Martin going to cons all the time is why he can’t finish the rest of the Song of Ice and Fire book series and I don’t want Suzuki to get caught up in that.

Suzuki and some of his team are still relatively new to the Unreal Engine and they are finding new ways to push it. By the time it comes out, I am positive we’ll be getting a game that exceeds all expectations

Is there even an official Facebook page? If I'm looking at the one that I think you are, it was created in late 2017 and doesn't seem to be linked to/referenced from the official Shenmue 3 site or Twitter - may just be a fan.

Point still stands: not a big deal whether Shenmue III is at gamescom or not. If anything, let 1+2 ride the hype wave solo, then talk later this year or early next after people have properly played and beaten the first two. At best it is 50/50

I think the thought is that it should be past that state if the game is truly releasing next year (with a demo/trial releasing prior to the full release). I understand that it doesn't serve them well to work on a vertical slice simply for a trade show, but what about some of the systems that are presumably farther along, such as battling?

That's my main concern... That it feels like every time they delay the game, they just say "next year" to fob fans and the media off for a bit longer, for lack of a better word.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but it does feel like that sometimes. Like it seemed really obvious really early on to most of us here that there was no way in hell that the game would be released in 2018, yet they kept going "it's definitely coming in 2018". Even that interview Yu did back in an update at the end of 2017 I think it was made it painfully obvious it wouldn't come out in 2018...

And here we are, closer to the end of 2018 and we're in a similar position as last year wondering if the game is really far enough long to actually be released next year... I mean, they're still talking about adding stretch goals when they should be in the final stages of development...

Well, the fact they are recording voices and closing the slacker backer campaign makes me more confident about releasing the game next year.
They record voices when animations and 3d modelling are supposed to be finalised so maybe the next year is the releasing year at last.

Yeah, that's the main thing that keeps me positive for a release next year. I wonder when the English voice work begins.

I think the stretch goals are symbolic now. After the Deep Silver investment, I'm pretty sure they were at least half-done, just to wait for an opportunity to drum up a little publicity when the numbers tick up...

Last edited:
I figured the stretch goals must be symbolic by this point of development as well, but their wording in Update 87 gave me pause: "The next stretch goal is at $7.5M for the Battle System Expanded: High Ground Battle System. Will we get there...? The dev team is excited to find out!"

Why would the dev team care if the stretch goal is reached or not? Wouldn't they be basically locked in feature wise at this point? I'd imagine with something like the high ground battle system you'd need a significant amount of development time for implementation into their current systems, and at this point if the game will come out next year then they'd basically need it implemented already or not.

The wait I can manage fine. I just hope the development of this game is going well. At least their ending of the slacker backer and the voice work are good signs progress is going okay.

If that's the case though, isn't it being a bit (lot) disingenuous with their backers?

Well, every little bit helps. Even if it is just to hire a couple of more people or pay some bills.

It would disincline people to donate knowing the end goal was already achieved, to be sure.

It also has the dubious honor of journalists pouncing on it. If they were to say "All goals have been reached due to Deep Silver", it would lead to hack writers coughing up articles about how Kickstarter is worthless, pledges are worthless, the Slacker Backer was a scam, etc. because the game was funded anyway outside of backers.

I hate it, but that's the way of it. I have a feeling the goals are reached. But you have to give a reason for people to continue to help out. It's a double edged sword.

I do find it a bit disappointing to see quite a few people here getting so impatient. I understand that as fervent fans we're all eagerly awaiting the game, but we know it's coming, and we know progress is being made (those screenshots were only released quite recently, weren't they?), isn't that enough? We spent so many years not knowing if the game was ever going to get made, and at most having a forlorn kind of hope that it might do. But now we know it is being worked as we speak and some of us have the impertinence to demand trailers and material from the development team that they aren't ready to show us. I don't understand it. The game is going to be what it will be, and importuning the makers to indulge your impetuous curiosity will not help anything at all.

Impatience is natural ( we all want to play it ) but we need to give the team time to ensure when they show something it blows people away.

What happened with the teaser last time got hammered in the press and by fans... we know it was pre-alpha but I got the impression that they felt they had to show something & got stung for it.

With Deep silver involved and lessons learnt I don't think we will see all that much until the real marketing push starts. I'm predicting it will likely start October onwards. If something popped up at Gamescom then great (though unlikely). We've waited 17 years what's a few more months to ensure a quality game that along with the remasters has the best chance to secure the long term future of the series.

Our work starts when the marketing starts. Sales = more Shenmue games.

The only problem with that 'teaser trailer' is that they didn't properly provide any context to go with it and they didn't label it correctly as a development update. That's literally the only problem with it. There's nothing wrong with showing off rough or unfinished work, as long as it's clearly described and prefaced by some kind disclaimer. All they had to say is 'please note this is pre-alpha footage and was created from a build that is nearly a year old now. Facial animations haven't been implemented yet and models are unfinished blah blah blah etc".

And that's all they have to do. Are you guys really saying there's nothing they could show off yet? Nearly 3 years into development and not even a couple of minutes of gameplay or some mechanics to show off?

Name me one successful Kickstarter that had shown as little as this within 3 years.

My concern is not that I'm impatient and desperate to see footage, my concern is that they seemingly don't want to show off what they're working on. That can mean the game is further off than we are perpetually being told, or they're not proud enough to show off what they're working on.

Game of the Year

3202138-2017022318324400-f1c11a22faee3b82f21b330e1b786a39.jpg

Shenmue I & II

River_v1.JPG

Shenmue III

36328346440_d186aca0d0_h.jpg
A-familiar-piece-of-heavy-machinery-1024x474.jpg

Perspective...

Last edited:
. We've waited 17 years what's a few more months to ensure a quality game that along with the remasters has the best chance to secure the long term future of the series.

Our work starts when the marketing starts. Sales = more Shenmue games.

That's the problem. If YS Net keep dragging development on and on like that, chances are they might as well move the development to PS5. If S3 comes out after the PS5's launch, a lot of people will have lost interest in PS4 games by then. Let alone the fact that the remasters are coming out on PS4 which would mean that if PS5 doesn't have backwards compatibility, the first two games would again not be playable on (then) current-gen consoles.

They need to get S3 out on PS4 and in 2019, otherwise Shenmue will probably be in deep trouble again. With the remasters coming to PS4, there's no way YS Net can afford to let this console generation pass.

Looking at the life cycles of Sony's past consoles, they each had a life span of 6 to 7 years.

PS1: 1994 - 2000
PS2: 2000 - 2006
PS3: 2006 - 2013

PS5 will probably come out in 2019 or 2020. I really hope the stretch goal talk is pure marketing this late into the game's development and a way to generate some extra revenue from the slacker backer campaign. If Yu is really thinking about adding additional features to the battle system as late as now, he might wanna think twice. This game needs to come out in 2019. One of the most crucial factors for the long-term future of the series is to avoid for S3 to come late to the PS4's party.

Bringing out S3 on a last-gen console which PS4 will become sooner or later, or on a new console with no user base installed yet both don't seem to be wise moves to me. Let alone the costs of moving the project over to PS5.

With licensing out Shenmue to Yu and bringing the S1 & 2 remasters, Sega have done their part. More than could have been expected of them to be honest. Now it's time for YS Net to do their part of the job. And they'd better bloody well deliver! We as the hardcore part of the fan base may be happy to wait for S3 to come out as a PS4 game in 2020 or 2021 but chances are the rest of the market will not..

I'd estimate Yu's got another year, one and a half years max to deliver a great Shenmue 3. If YS Net can't pull that off, who knows what will happen? Let's not kid ourselves, here. This is probably the last chance Sega, Deep Silver or any other publisher for that matter will give Shenmue as a franchise.

Last edited:
That's the problem. If YS Net keep dragging development on and on like that, chances are they might as well move the development to PS5. If S3 comes out after the PS5's launch, a lot of people will have lost interest in PS4 games by then. Let alone the fact that the remasters are coming out on PS4 which would mean that if PS5 doesn't have backwards compatibility, the first two games would again not be playable on (then) current-gen consoles.

They need to get S3 out on PS4 and in 2019, otherwise Shenmue will probably be in deep trouble again. With the remasters coming to PS4, there's no way YS Net can afford to let this console generation pass.

Looking at the life cycles of Sony's past consoles, they each had a life span of 6 to 7 years.

PS1: 1994 - 2000
PS2: 2000 - 2006
PS3: 2006 - 2013

PS5 will probably come out in 2019 or 2020. I really hope the stretch goal talk is pure marketing this late into the game's development and a way to generate some extra revenue from the slacker backer campaign. If Yu is really thinking about adding additional features to the battle system as late as now, he might wanna think twice. This game needs to come out in 2019. One of the most crucial factors for the long-term future of the series is to avoid for S3 to come late to the PS4's party.

Bringing out S3 on a last-gen console which PS4 will become sooner or later, or on a new console with no user base installed yet both don't seem to be wise moves to me. Let alone the costs of moving the project over to PS5.

With licensing out Shenmue to Yu and bringing the S1 & 2 remasters, Sega have done their part. More than could have been expected of them to be honest. Now it's time for YS Net to do their part of the job. And they'd better bloody well deliver! We as the hardcore part of the fan base may be happy to wait for S3 to come out as a PS4 game in 2020 or 2021 but chances are the rest of the market will not..

I'd estimate Yu's got another year, one and a half years max to deliver a great Shenmue 3. If YS Net can't pull that off, who knows what will happen? Let's not kid ourselves, here. This is probably the last chance Sega, Deep Silver or any other publisher for that matter will give Shenmue as a franchise.

It's difficult because we don't have a set release date. Going on other games like this a 4 year development schedule isn't uncommon. 2019 I think it will come out probably the latter half.

Your point around the ps5 is interesting. I'm predicting a late 2019 announcement for the ps5 with a 2020 release. That would be fine for Shenmue 3. My argument here is that both Sony and Microsoft haven't long had their upgrade systems in the market. Ps4 pro is 2 years I think this year. So they run the risk of knocking consumer confidence. For me they have to beat that annoucnement if they do you've got a large install base and no sight of a successor. I promise you they are working flat out to get this out asap.

Absolutely this opportunity for Shenmue is huge and we must take advantage of it. SEGA have already commented that they have been surprised by the amount of pre orders already. That's a plus. It is down to us once a date is announced to buy the game and help get others to do so. If Shenmue 3 is a success alongside the HD releases I've a sneaking suspicion Sega might pick up Shenmue 4 (probably on PS5) and get YSNET to do it.

I don't think Sony is announcing any new console until the Final Fantasy VII Remake is released. And that still has no date. The Shenmue III team has until 2020, if they need. Could even pursue what Zelda and GTA did and sell even more copies on next-gen systems. Lots of great options. No need to rush.

Microsoft has already admitted they are working on next gen at E3. Sony has teased it, I believe in interviews and AMD has confirmed their in-development Navi CPU is designed for Sony specifically.

The new consoles will be Fall 2020 at the latest. Sony didnt reveal any new heavy hitters past 2019. And their 2019 lineup is stacked with Days Gone, LoU2, Death Stranding, Kingdom Hearts III, RE2Make, etc.

Some of those are XB as well but synonymous with the PS brand. Last of Us 2 is one of the last AAA titles for PS4 for sure, similar to the original for PS3.

Final Fantasy VII-R is a next gen title at this point. That's pretty much a given.

Q1 2020 is probably the absolute latest Shenmue III could be pushed back to and not lose ground to PS5 hype. But to be pushed that far back would have me hard-pressed to believe all goals won't be included.

Back