Update 88: Shenmue Documentary Film, Shenmue I & II, Other Info

The next gen consoles are absolutely coming out in 2020 and I don't think it will be late 2020 either. The time is ticking for Shenmue 3 to come out this generation and not be overshadowed by an impending PS5 launch.

So? Many people bought PS3s to play The Last Guardian. Many people bought Saturns to Play Sonic xTreme. I guarantee that Final Fantasy VII Remake will come out after the PS5 and development will either move to that console, or it will come out for both PS4 and PS5.

It's difficult because we don't have a set release date. Going on other games like this a 4 year development schedule isn't uncommon. 2019 I think it will come out probably the latter half.

Your point around the ps5 is interesting. I'm predicting a late 2019 announcement for the ps5 with a 2020 release. That would be fine for Shenmue 3. My argument here is that both Sony and Microsoft haven't long had their upgrade systems in the market. Ps4 pro is 2 years I think this year. So they run the risk of knocking consumer confidence. For me they have to beat that annoucnement if they do you've got a large install base and no sight of a successor. I promise you they are working flat out to get this out asap.

Absolutely this opportunity for Shenmue is huge and we must take advantage of it. SEGA have already commented that they have been surprised by the amount of pre orders already. That's a plus. It is down to us once a date is announced to buy the game and help get others to do so. If Shenmue 3 is a success alongside the HD releases I've a sneaking suspicion Sega might pick up Shenmue 4 (probably on PS5) and get YSNET to do it.

We need to make sure those remasters will sell well and the same goes for S3, just as you said. However, YS Net need to deliver the game first and the clock is ticking for that. Like Valascaziel said, early 2020 is probably the latest S3 could be pushed back to without getting impeded by the gerneration change in consoles.

Also absolutely agree with you about your last point. If S3 sells well, Sega will probably either get Yu to come back to Sega and make S4 in-house or give YS Net the funding to make S4 externally, similarly to the setup with the remasters and D3T.

There is no way the PS5 is announced in 2019. If that were to be the case, there would be far more leaks than there currently are regarding console specifications.

Sony announced the PS4 in February 2013 at a press conference for the Future of PlayStation with the full unveiling coming in June at E3. I expect something similar for the PS5.

Therefore, I think Q1 2020 is as far back as Shenmue III can feasibly go. It would be wise for them to show *something* tangible or rife with information this year, though.

FF7R has not been seen in any real capacity since December 2015 and as such, any thread about it with any rumor, snippet of info, or interview is rife with vitriol and pessimism about its future and potential.

The Shenmue community at least here is better than that, but not the community at large. We all have limits to our patience even the best of us. The tough questions and speculative articles are going to come from gaming sites sooner than you might think.

A little more clarity is needed. It's a bit of a stretch but..think on this. Tiger Woods got busted with his pants down and stayed silent rather than addressing the matter and got ripped up.

David Letterman same scenario, but came forward with information and an apology and nothing happened, everyone moved on.

Same could happen here, as we're back to radio silence with fluffer updates. Nice things in the update, but detracts from what folks want to hear about

We really don't, and this kind of entitled attitude will lead to more negative impressions of the game when the developers feel pressured to show it in the kind of state the public is not used to seeing.

You donated your money, and if all goes well, you'll get your selected rewards. That's where the formal backer/creator relationship ends. You're not an investor, you're not a shareholder, and you won't have a claim to Yu's first born if the project goes belly-up.
So what are the backer supposed to just walk away and have nothing to show for the money they invested in this if this goes belly up? Sorry that's not how it works, people point out that Yu Suzuki has a history of being secretive with his projects, while this is true I can counter with the fact that Suzuki-san could be as secretive as he wanted to in the past because SEGA were the ones funding his projects, when you get financial backing from the public on the other hand, that expectation of secrecy goes out the window, and after 3 years of development the people who backed this (myself being one of them) want to start seeing some results, how is that having an entitlement attitude (our money went into this so we have every right to see some results)? I guess if we go by your definition all investors that back companies and products worldwide have an "entitled attitude", it's called putting your financiers at ease and thus far Ys.net & DS have done an abysmal job in doing that whether you want to admit it or not.

The problem here is we are not even financiers. We are backers, yes we are important but they have the right to put out as many updates as they want. They met the Kickstarter T&C and as far as I can tell continues to do so.

With the public nature of the Kickstarter of course we would like to know what's going on and I'd love more information but since Deep Silver came along the project has been run more like a usual development than a public kickstarter.

We have to stay patient a little longer. I know its not what you want to hear but we need to. Yu has got this and with backing of Deep Silver we will see a finished article

Shenmue 3 didn't truly start development until that day in June last year when YSNET secured Deep Silver as the game's publisher.

From that point forward, you're looking at at least 21 months worth of development time, bringing the game to a March 2019 release date at the absolute earliest.

Shenmue 3 didn't truly start development until that day in June last year when YSNET secured Deep Silver as the game's publisher.

That's not really accurate. In fact S3 left the stage of pre-production and went into full production in late 2016, before the Deep Silver deal.

"R&D for various game elements is on course as the development team shifts its focus towards production. Main game scenarios are nearing completion, motion capture tests are well under way, and voicing tests with the cast have begun. Yu-san and the production staff are happy to say they are enjoying the work as they continue to diligently make progress on the mini-games, events, and battles. "

https://shenmue.link/post_en/424/?en

"and voicing tests with the cast have begun "

Maybe I'm being thick, but how did voicing tests with the cast happen when they only just began auditions late last year and voice work has only just begun?

I'm probably being dumb.

That's the problem. If YS Net keep dragging development on and on like that, chances are they might as well move the development to PS5. If S3 comes out after the PS5's launch, a lot of people will have lost interest in PS4 games by then. Let alone the fact that the remasters are coming out on PS4 which would mean that if PS5 doesn't have backwards compatibility, the first two games would again not be playable on (then) current-gen consoles.

They need to get S3 out on PS4 and in 2019, otherwise Shenmue will probably be in deep trouble again. With the remasters coming to PS4, there's no way YS Net can afford to let this console generation pass.

Looking at the life cycles of Sony's past consoles, they each had a life span of 6 to 7 years.

PS1: 1994 - 2000
PS2: 2000 - 2006
PS3: 2006 - 2013

PS5 will probably come out in 2019 or 2020. I really hope the stretch goal talk is pure marketing this late into the game's development and a way to generate some extra revenue from the slacker backer campaign. If Yu is really thinking about adding additional features to the battle system as late as now, he might wanna think twice. This game needs to come out in 2019. One of the most crucial factors for the long-term future of the series is to avoid for S3 to come late to the PS4's party.

Bringing out S3 on a last-gen console which PS4 will become sooner or later, or on a new console with no user base installed yet both don't seem to be wise moves to me. Let alone the costs of moving the project over to PS5.

With licensing out Shenmue to Yu and bringing the S1 & 2 remasters, Sega have done their part. More than could have been expected of them to be honest. Now it's time for YS Net to do their part of the job. And they'd better bloody well deliver! We as the hardcore part of the fan base may be happy to wait for S3 to come out as a PS4 game in 2020 or 2021 but chances are the rest of the market will not..

I'd estimate Yu's got another year, one and a half years max to deliver a great Shenmue 3. If YS Net can't pull that off, who knows what will happen? Let's not kid ourselves, here. This is probably the last chance Sega, Deep Silver or any other publisher for that matter will give Shenmue as a franchise.

Look at this realistically from the development of other titles and their timeframe.

The other title under deep silver that I backed was Kingdom Come Deliverance which was using crytek and there were many unforseen issues during development which either had to be cut or worked later. The release of the game was very buggy and after several patches now the game is nearly perfect.

The idea of KCD was pitched in 2009, warhorse studios came about 2011 kickstarter came out early 2014 and the game was released feb 2018. Considering development for that game goes back 9 years with 4 years between the kickstarter and several delays as well as a larger team, this gives a better idea on indy developers.

The kickstarter for Shenmue III was 6/2015 so it has been 3 years and 2 months, during the announcement it looked like a tech demo was put together which was not an actual representation of the final game, just an appeal that if we chose to back it, the game would be made, if not, then Shenmue would not continue.

Watch_dogs was in development in 2009, announced at E3 2012 at released mid 2014. The game took 5 years with a huge team.

I trust YSnet and deep silver know what they are doing. There have been many games like Prey, Halflife 2, and Duke Nukem that went through development hell yet we still got them.

That's not really accurate. In fact S3 left the stage of pre-production and went into full production in late 2016, before the Deep Silver deal.

"R&D for various game elements is on course as the development team shifts its focus towards production. Main game scenarios are nearing completion, motion capture tests are well under way, and voicing tests with the cast have begun. Yu-san and the production staff are happy to say they are enjoying the work as they continue to diligently make progress on the mini-games, events, and battles. "

https://shenmue.link/post_en/424/?en

I should have italicized truly.

Anyhow, actual Unreal Engine pre production started in September 2015, shortly after Yu returned from his trip to China, and continued right up until the end of 2016. Full production began in January of 2017. The Gamescom demo that we were shown in August 2017 was from a June build, meaning that this extended trailer represented approximately 6 months worth of development effort by a very small and understaffed team. In June Suzuki traveled to Germany and inked the publishing deal with Deep Silver.

--LINK TO PIRATED TRAILER REMOVED--

From that time forward things have been mum, and rightly so. Deep Silver wants to avoid any further publicity mishaps / gaming editorial scrutiny, especially with the amount they have invested in the game (which very well eclipses our collective crowdfunding efforts). The next time we see Shenmue 3 it will be a very different game - and there's a very good chance that it may not be until 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have italicized truly.

Anyhow, actual Unreal Engine pre production started in September 2015, shortly after Yu returned from his trip to China, and continued right up until the end of 2016. Full production began in January of 2017. The Gamescom demo that we were shown in August 2017 was from a June build, meaning that this extended trailer represented approximately 6 months worth of development effort by a very small and understaffed team. In June Suzuki traveled to Germany and inked the publishing deal with Deep Silver.

From that time forward things have been mum, and rightly so. Deep Silver wants to avoid any further publicity mishaps / gaming editorial scrutiny, especially with the amount they have invested in the game (which very well eclipses our collective crowdfunding efforts). The next time we see Shenmue 3 it will be a very different game - and there's a very good chance that it may not be until 2019.

I think that trailer is not allowed here...you may want to ask staff.

Yeah, quick reminder that the pirated MAGIC footage goes against the wishes of Yu Suzuki & the Shenmue III team and as such is not to be posted here. Thanks!

Maybe I was a bit over the top saying 'almost feel sick'. I apologise but I don't feel that I should feel bad as to be annoyed if Shenmue 3 really isn't at gamescom. I think it was even expected to be at E3 so gamescom was like a rebound or back up.

I really thought it would be shown at gamescom and I guess there's still a small chance that it will but I guess it's shown when it's shown. Now that we are getting Shenmue 1 and 2 HD next week, it's gonna be interesting to see how things go from there.

I'm actually more excited about I+II being shown off at Gamescom. Western release date is same day, easier jump to Shenmue HD being logical choice to show off at either Sega or THQ, than a somewhat larger leap to seeing a different project in the series being developed by another studio than will be there.

Back