What are you playing?

Hope you enjoy it was much as I did the first time! I replay Morrowing, Oblivion, and Skyrim every few years. Seriously good stuff!

(Daggerfall is good too, in its own, unique way, but it's darn obtuse!)

I'm loving it. The first 8 hours I played it with no map, only exploring totally free. I had to go to Riverwood, but instead I went to Riften :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Did you hear about the project Skyblivion? I want to play it when I finish Skyrim, but I think it will take me like 200 beautiful hours. I hope it's over when I finish Skyrim.

Morrowind seems a biiit unplayable to this days, but who knows, maybe I can do it. The battle system doesnt convinces me tho.

And Daggerfall... That's definetelly not possible for me, sorry :ROFLMAO:

As you said it really does sound Yakuza is not for you. And most of them have the soap opera ending like with the exposition, motivitation and "twists" Yakuza 6 bein one of the worst offenders in that regard.

I would honestly advise you against the series as if you have not enjoyed the first one, nor Majima (he is a fan favourite so he tends to apper a lot in some of the fames) or glorified violence it is unlikely that you are gonna enjoy other parts of the series.

PD: to me yakuza 1, 3 and 0 are the ones that plotwise are more grounded and less "silly" for the sake of final twists.

I wouldn't put 3 in that category, though it's certainly less so than 4 and 5.

As you said it really does sound Yakuza is not for you. And most of them have the soap opera ending like with the exposition, motivitation and "twists" Yakuza 6 bein one of the worst offenders in that regard.

I would honestly advise you against the series as if you have not enjoyed the first one, nor Majima (he is a fan favourite so he tends to apper a lot in some of the fames) or glorified violence it is unlikely that you are gonna enjoy other parts of the series.

PD: to me yakuza 1, 3 and 0 are the ones that plotwise are more grounded and less "silly" for the sake of final twists.
I wouldn't put 3 in that category, though it's certainly less so than 4 and 5.
Thank you. That's good to know. I'm somewhat committed to playing 3 at this point. It seems like it could clean up a lot of the gameplay, combat, and graphical issues I have with the first two, at least. So maybe I'll enjoy actually playing it more, and won't be sticking it out just for the story alone. Sounds like I'm just better off not bothering to pick up most of the other games in the series. I imagine at some point I might just end up with 0 in my steam library, though, so maybe I'll stay open to trying that out down the line as well.

I'm loving it. The first 8 hours I played it with no map, only exploring totally free. I had to go to Riverwood, but instead I went to Riften :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Did you hear about the project Skyblivion? I want to play it when I finish Skyrim, but I think it will take me like 200 beautiful hours. I hope it's over when I finish Skyrim.

Morrowind seems a biiit unplayable to this days, but who knows, maybe I can do it. The battle system doesnt convinces me tho.

And Daggerfall... That's definetelly not possible for me, sorry :ROFLMAO:
I love the feel of a new Elder Scrolls! Just adventuring across the countryside, discovering the world... man, I'm not sure if any other series gives me that feel to that degree.

I adore Morrowind, but it's super archaic and hard to play anymore. Definitely mod it up... or hope that Skywind finally comes to fruition, speaking of projects! There's one called Daggerfall Unity that's coming along pretty nicely. It's even set up to allow for mods and has it's own Nexus page! I haven't tried it yet, though... if it's still as obtuse as the original, it might still be rough going.

Not that you'll need them anytime soon with Skyrim. Steam has me at about 450 hours! :ROFLMAO:

I love the feel of a new Elder Scrolls! Just adventuring across the countryside, discovering the world... man, I'm not sure if any other series gives me that feel to that degree.

I adore Morrowind, but it's super archaic and hard to play anymore. Definitely mod it up... or hope that Skywind finally comes to fruition, speaking of projects! There's one called Daggerfall Unity that's coming along pretty nicely. It's even set up to allow for mods and has it's own Nexus page! I haven't tried it yet, though... if it's still as obtuse as the original, it might still be rough going.

Not that you'll need them anytime soon with Skyrim. Steam has me at about 450 hours! :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for all this information!

Daggerfall Unity seems absolutelly unplayable for me. I'm not a nostalgic of the mid 90's doom-ish graphics at all.

But Skywind seems SUPER playable. So with Skyrim, Skyblivion and Skywind, I have like 1000 hours of gameplay :love:

I don't necessarily want more Haruka, just for the sake of Haruka. A lot of what I liked her for was her dynamic with Kiryu. I've owned the first three RGGs for years, and I partly started playing the second game recently with the intention of following it up with 3. I will potentially continue with that one, just to finish what I have--I actually have Kiwami on Steam, but I hate Majima, so I doubt that will do much for me. I honestly don't think the series is for me, and I don't necessarily want to continue beyond the third game, because I hate gratuitous violence. I hate to even bring up any sort of comparison, but thematically this series seems like the polar opposite of Shenmue. By that I mean, it emphasizes violence for the sake of violence, glorifies organized crime, and just generally presents bad themes; "bad," as in morally bankrupt.

I might try Kenzan, or Ishin at some point, regardless. I can potentially forgive some bad morality, and such, if it has some level of historical accuracy. The brief description of 6 sounds intriguing, as well. Also I thought it was pretty wild that Oguri Shun, and Beat Takeshi are in it. I'll think about it

To the first bold, that makes 3 the best, as you REALLY see their dynamic and how they get along/run things in the orphanage; it's probably the best game for that, along with 1.

To the second bold, I hear you loud and clear; I don't (and never have) disliked the guy, but I'm sick to death of Majima; he grates on you as a character and is beyond-overbearing.

To the third bold, we just had a (small) discussion on this in the Yakuza thread; the series only glorifies organized crime if you take it as face value.

Nagoshi and the writers (sans Seishu, who I think DID try to glorify in the first 2 games) have created plots that show all this glamour and money on the surface, but the undertones and... can't think of the word right now, but meaning will do, the undertones and meaning of what you see and play, is that the like of a Yakuza is absolutely *not* all glamour and is full of nothing but heartache, sadness and loss; a lot of 3 Saejima's story in 4, the entirety of 5 and 6 and now 7, convey just how awful the lives of each character are, even if they find happiness here and there.

Kiryu, specifically, notes aloud numerous times in 3, 5 and 6, that he doesn't want this life as it brings him and the people he loves, nothing but sadness. But he's so deeply-ingrained in the Yakuza lifestyle, he can't get out.

When a game makes you feel empathy, you know it's written superbly ;)

??

6 has 0 of weird twists; it builds it up and reveals BEFORE the actual ending.

The issue people had with the end of 6 was who you actually fight (which isn't a big deal in the slightest), as opposed to how things went down.

Thank you. That's good to know. I'm somewhat committed to playing 3 at this point. It seems like it could clean up a lot of the gameplay, combat, and graphical issues I have with the first two, at least. So maybe I'll enjoy actually playing it more, and won't be sticking it out just for the story alone. Sounds like I'm just better off not bothering to pick up most of the other games in the series. I imagine at some point I might just end up with 0 in my steam library, though, so maybe I'll stay open to trying that out down the line as well.

3 isn't silly at all; it definitely is grounded in reality.

Can't get the link now, as I'm at work, but Jake Adelstein hosted 3 real-life Yakuza when 3 released and had them play it; they note that similar events in the game (specifically, the land deals in Okinawa) REALLY DID take place at that time, in Japan.

Trust me, for plot, it is rock-solid.

To the first bold, that makes 3 the best, as you REALLY see their dynamic and how they get along/run things in the orphanage; it's probably the best game for that, along with 1.

To the second bold, I hear you loud and clear; I don't (and never have) disliked the guy, but I'm sick to death of Majima; he grates on you as a character and is beyond-overbearing.

To the third bold, we just had a (small) discussion on this in the Yakuza thread; the series only glorifies organized crime if you take it as face value.

Nagoshi and the writers (sans Seishu, who I think DID try to glorify in the first 2 games) have created plots that show all this glamour and money on the surface, but the undertones and... can't think of the word right now, but meaning will do, the undertones and meaning of what you see and play, is that the like of a Yakuza is absolutely *not* all glamour and is full of nothing but heartache, sadness and loss; a lot of 3 Saejima's story in 4, the entirety of 5 and 6 and now 7, convey just how awful the lives of each character are, even if they find happiness here and there.

Kiryu, specifically, notes aloud numerous times in 3, 5 and 6, that he doesn't want this life as it brings him and the people he loves, nothing but sadness. But he's so deeply-ingrained in the Yakuza lifestyle, he can't get out.

When a game makes you feel empathy, you know it's written superbly ;)

??

6 has 0 of weird twists; it builds it up and reveals BEFORE the actual ending.

The issue people had with the end of 6 was who you actually fight (which isn't a big deal in the slightest), as opposed to how things went down.
That might have been my personal impression, I found the secret of onomochi quite silly and not much of a big deal. Just that IMHO is one of the weakest entries in the saga in almost all aspects (probably because they focused on getting the new engi e out)

Maybe I wouls have searched for a better word than silly (not good with expressing myself) but Yakuza have this kind of storetelling that is akin to a soap opera and it can be off putting to some people.

That said if @Rydeen tries the 3rd entry and does not enjoy it, that is fine. Not games are for everybody.

Of course.

And you found it silly; you aren't alone (many felt that way), but, you're not Japanese, right?

Neither am I, but I am well-versed in Japanese history, military might and, "pride."

If something like that really did happen in Japan, be it the 90s or now, there would be GARGANTUAN backlash and a shit-ton of outrage.

Those who aren't familiar with the mentality behind what the secret symbolized, of course will not find it anything special.

It was *such* a well-implemented plot device; the Japanese are incredibly sensitive lol.

im playing: control (ps4)

very strange game. i haven't really gotten into it yet, just playing it slowly.

the whole game reminds me of the mgs4 boss fight with screeming (psycho) mantis.

Currently playing Animal Crossing, Breath of the Wild (I'm a bit fatigued on this. Amazing game and need to clear the final guardian. I reckon I can power through the rest once I dive back in), and Panzer Dragoon: Remake.

I should pick Yakuza 0 back up which I purchased prior to Shenmue 3's release. I just didn't really find it very engrossing from the bit that I played.

Of course.

And you found it silly; you aren't alone (many felt that way), but, you're not Japanese, right?

Neither am I, but I am well-versed in Japanese history, military might and, "pride."

If something like that really did happen in Japan, be it the 90s or now, there would be GARGANTUAN backlash and a shit-ton of outrage.

Those who aren't familiar with the mentality behind what the secret symbolized, of course will not find it anything special.

It was *such* a well-implemented plot device; the Japanese are incredibly sensitive lol.
I really shouldn't be reading this before playing like an idiot, but I am. God I hope 3 comes to PC soon, it looks and sounds so up my alley.

I tried to make it as ambiguous as possible, lol.

I will say that if what happened in the game, happened in the US, people would absolutely think it's ridiculous and silly; "just another scandal."

Persona 5 Royale -- Haven't played too much of it. Maybe the first 4 hours or so. Although, I've already played and beaten Vanilla Persona 5 so I'm in no real rush to see Royale through. I'll gladly take my sweet ass time with it.

Resident Evil 3 -- It took me only 4 and a half hours to beat on Standard today. Honestly? This felt like glorified DLC for Resident Evil 2 Remake as opposed to a full remake in its own right. Or to go one step further, this felt like a C-team in Capcom making Resident Evil Revelations moreso than an A-team making RE2 Remake. It's not bad per se, but it's lacking. Granted, RE3 was never really my favourite of the original PSone trilogy but RE3 PSone was at least a more expansive game. This feels like a highlight reel. It felt like cliff notes of RE3.

Also, Nemesis is so overwhelmingly disappointing. To go from the awesome Mr X encounters in RE2 to the heavily scripted Nemesis encounters in RE3 is a real downgrade. In fact, I would say the whole game feels as if it were Resident Evil made by a C-team that desperately wanted to replicate Naughty Dog's cinematic linear style experiences only with less talent involved.

Again, not terrible, I had some fun with it, but yeah, not a pinch on the RE2 remake from last year. Can tell this was a bit of an afterthought for Capcom.

Doom Eternal -- Fun. End of Story. Talk about a game that is so utterly unapologetic about being a game. This game screams traditional gamey design all over. You never stop moving and you never stop killing. It's so much damn fun as a whole. Having a great time with it and almost don't want it to end.

I just beat Resident Evil 3 remake a few hours ago and just started another play through. I really enjoyed it, and reading the reviews before playing it let me adjust my expectations. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the original version, and I absolutely loved RE2 remake. I was worried when I heard there was more action in this game, and I immediately started thinking that we’d be getting RE4 - RE6 again, which were the games that put me off the series back then. Fortunately, I think it’s a great game. It’s both similar and different enough from RE2 remake, and that’s good enough for me.

FINALLY beat Far Cry: Primal after four years. I never played a Far Cry game before, but I was a sucker for playing as caveman during caveman times. I really enjoyed it.

I started playing Dragonball Z: Kakarot a few weeks ago. I remember watching a bit of the series on Toonami when I was a kid, and that was always my extent of my knowledge on the subject. I really dig the world and the characters. Really reminds me of Mystical Ninja on N64, which along with Mega Man Legends, was the reason I got into action-RPG style games (which lead me to...SHENMUE). The combat looks great, but I don’t how far I can get into it. Seems a little to spazzy for me. Hopefully I’ll get around to finishing it.

Also just beat the final season of Telltale’s The Walking Dead. Fantastic game. On top of all this, I still need to get through the remastered Yakuza trilogy. I’m off from work until further notice, so I got a ton of down time.

Streaming REZero on personal twitch channel. No set schedule, so I'll likely play again tmrw night and near daily.

Syberia 2

Arkham Asylum.

Still playing bits of Animal Crossing. Perhaps I’m not as dedicated as some are but it’s just something to sit back and chill with, granted I’m not doing all the busywork of getting crafting materials. The one bad thing everyone seems to agree on is how annoying the eggs are right now. I’ve got a bunch and ended up making a crown because it reminded me of the Bloodborne eyeball thing but a lot of the other stuff looks really dumb.

Otherwise, I’ve finally got Dragon Quest 11 for Switch. Had played a couple hours on PS4 but when it was announced here with extra features I decided to hold off for it. Depending on how much I actually end up liking it, I may end up doing a full 2D playthrough as well.

Lastly there’s Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Scarlett. Thankfully I already got the platinum before Soyny retroactively censored it, but then they added two new characters so I had to get this anyway. Was interested in the HD rumble aspect of it but unfortunately the feature seemed to be an afterthought. I did manage to get this on PC, thankfully it’s free, but then found it’s full of gacha bs that plagues f2p games - so much for modding it.

I didn’t play it but I watched pewdiepie play through the new Half Life game. Kinda figured Valve just gave up now that they’ve gone big, but maybe there’s some new blood that wants to actually make games again. The AI isn’t great but for the most part it seemed to prove that you can do a good adventure game with VR and motion controls - part of which makes me hope the next Metroid Prime lives up to the past games and doesn’t go back to standard controls, though given its rough dev cycle I doubt it’ll be on Switch.

Project Hospital because of coronavirus...

The realism makes the management very interesting and the gameplay feels deep so far. You can build your own hospital from scratch. Now I want to re-watch ER

Screenshot from Steam
ss_ae17a5fe8822ecb82202ca3c3c6e24b2fb05e1a4.1920x1080.jpg

Back