What Movie Are You Watching?

As cinema is my passion, I figured i'd post every 10 films I see. The last 10 films i've seen that I haven't rated are as follows:

1) Drácula (George Melford, 1931) - This is the Spanish version of the Bela Lugosi version filmed at the same time with different actors!
2) Sweet Bean (Naomi Kawase, 2015) - Sweet Japanese drama in the Hirokazu Kore-eda style
3) Evil of Dracula (Michio Yamamoto, 1974) - Quirky Japanese vampire fun
4) Land of Silence and Darkness (Werner Herzog, 1971) - Heartbreaking documentary about the deaf and blind community. Made me cry lots. The world needs to be kinder.
5) Friday The 13th Part II (Steve Miner, 1981) - Goofy and cheap horror fun!
6) Memories of Murder (Bong Joon-Ho, 2003) - Incredible movie, and after seeing Parasite, i'm thinking he is a master director. Very much reminded me of a Korean Twin Peaks!
7) Still The Water (Naomi Kawase, 2014) - Beautiful melodrama. I'd like to check out more of her films.
8) Brother Bear (Robert Walker & Aaron Blaise, 2003) - OK Disney animation. Kinda sweet in places. Nice Phil Collins OST!
9) The Dragon, The Hero (Godfrey Ho, 1978) - Fucking awful martial arts film with insane dubbing that GZA stole for his hip-hop albums. Therefore it's brilliant
10) American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt (Cedric Sunstorm, 1989) - Very poor compared to the 2nd one, but some funny bits! Cannon films are always good fun.

My local cinema has been doing a Rocky marathon so yesterday and today I saw Rocky I and II and will watch III - VI the next few days. It's a massive joy to watch old films on the big screen and no matter how many times I watch it, the last minute of Rocky always gives me a lump in my throat!

Just saw Master Z: Ip-man Legacy. As far as spinoffs go, this is a damn fun one that's also better than Ip-Man 3 and 4. And it's got Michelle Yeoh and Dave Bautista? Solid kung fu flick!
I watched Master Z a few days ago as well. I was surprised by how good it was, even being less than the 4 Ip Man movies it still held up really well on its own. Michelle Yeoh being the highlight of course.

Last night I randomly watched Bourne Identity. Very few action movies catch my interest!

As cinema is my passion, I figured i'd post every 10 films I see. The last 10 films i've seen that I haven't rated are as follows:

1) Drácula (George Melford, 1931) - This is the Spanish version of the Bela Lugosi version filmed at the same time with different actors!
2) Sweet Bean (Naomi Kawase, 2015) - Sweet Japanese drama in the Hirokazu Kore-eda style
3) Evil of Dracula (Michio Yamamoto, 1974) - Quirky Japanese vampire fun
4) Land of Silence and Darkness (Werner Herzog, 1971) - Heartbreaking documentary about the deaf and blind community. Made me cry lots. The world needs to be kinder.
5) Friday The 13th Part II (Steve Miner, 1981) - Goofy and cheap horror fun!
6) Memories of Murder (Bong Joon-Ho, 2003) - Incredible movie, and after seeing Parasite, i'm thinking he is a master director. Very much reminded me of a Korean Twin Peaks!
7) Still The Water (Naomi Kawase, 2014) - Beautiful melodrama. I'd like to check out more of her films.
8) Brother Bear (Robert Walker & Aaron Blaise, 2003) - OK Disney animation. Kinda sweet in places. Nice Phil Collins OST!
9) The Dragon, The Hero (Godfrey Ho, 1978) - Fucking awful martial arts film with insane dubbing that GZA stole for his hip-hop albums. Therefore it's brilliant
10) American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt (Cedric Sunstorm, 1989) - Very poor compared to the 2nd one, but some funny bits! Cannon films are always good fun.

My local cinema has been doing a Rocky marathon so yesterday and today I saw Rocky I and II and will watch III - VI the next few days. It's a massive joy to watch old films on the big screen and no matter how many times I watch it, the last minute of Rocky always gives me a lump in my throat!

I like these 10 film, mini-breakdowns you do; keep doing it!

I wish I had the time to watch as many films as you do, but I'm still stuck to 1-2 a week at the most :(

Thanks
I like these 10 film, mini-breakdowns you do; keep doing it!

I wish I had the time to watch as many films as you do, but I'm still stuck to 1-2 a week at the most :(
Thanks! I will. To be honest, given my living situation, i'm trying to make the most of it, because when I eventually move out, I might not have as much time. I bloody hope I do as I still have over 150 unwatched films to get through and 120 years of great cinema yet to be watched (says the guy who just watched Rocky IV for the 6th time...)

Death Wish (The 2018 remake), pretty intense stuff but I grew up liking action films with Bruce Willis in them.

Here's the trailer

This movie was much better than I expected it to be. If you liked Death Wish 2018 check out Equalizer 2014 and Equalizer 2 2018 with Denzel Washington. Best movies on the topic. Also, Peppermint from 2018 with Jennifer Garner is really good.

47 Ronin from 2013. I had low expectations and it delivered not too far off from that, perhaps slightly better than expected but not by much. With a great cast Hiroyuki Sanada, Cary Tagawa and I guess Keanu Reeves(hit or miss most of the time)I expected something a little less disjointed. It's a fun watch for a rental if you're into Japanese samurai culture, but don't expect anything like The Last Samurai. 6/10.

Thanks

Thanks! I will. To be honest, given my living situation, i'm trying to make the most of it, because when I eventually move out, I might not have as much time. I bloody hope I do as I still have over 150 unwatched films to get through and 120 years of great cinema yet to be watched (says the guy who just watched Rocky IV for the 6th time...)

Hey, it's the best one from a pure entertainment standpoint! (1 is the best in terms of actual film merits); it's the only Rocky film I will willingly watch more than once.

Bondanella says that it is the worst film of the 5 and that it is all over-sensationalized, but he's talking from a strictly Italian culture/roots/values POV and not from a general film-watcher's POV.

Speaking of, didn't know he passed away in 2017 :(. All of my film classes I took in University, he was at the forefront of anything Italian:my Italian Cinema class was based on 2 of his books and man, I read them to death lol.

I'm gonna say it. As much as I liked Parasite. Memories of Murder is THE movie that deserves greater recognition. I remember seeing that back in 2005 in a small independent cinema here in Australia and I just remember getting Goosebumps come the ending. That film is incredibly powerful. Anytime it is on SBS Australia, I find myself always watching it from beginning to end. It's an incredible film and I look forward to Criterion's eventual release of it.

Truly his masterpiece, and that's saying quite a lot considering his other films (The Host, Mother, Snowpiercer)

Anyways

I recently watched this

Console Wars -- I had read the book it was based on a while back but was still keen to see this documentary. It's really good! If you're a fan of that era or just video games in general, you need to see this at least once.

I'm gonna say it. As much as I liked Parasite. Memories of Murder is THE movie that deserves greater recognition. I remember seeing that back in 2005 in a small independent cinema here in Australia and I just remember getting Goosebumps come the ending. That film is incredibly powerful. Anytime it is on SBS Australia, I find myself always watching it from beginning to end. It's an incredible film and I look forward to Criterion's eventual release of it.

Truly his masterpiece, and that's saying quite a lot considering his other films (The Host, Mother, Snowpiercer)
Yeah, I was definitely gripped throughout! Parasite was the first film of his i'd seen and i'm always cautious of hype, but that film blew me away to the point I saw it twice (once in colour and once in B&W). Snowpiercer is something i've always wanted to watch, so he's definitely on my go-to list~!

Hey, it's the best one from a pure entertainment standpoint! (1 is the best in terms of actual film merits); it's the only Rocky film I will willingly watch more than once.

Bondanella says that it is the worst film of the 5 and that it is all over-sensationalized, but he's talking from a strictly Italian culture/roots/values POV and not from a general film-watcher's POV.

Speaking of, didn't know he passed away in 2017 :(. All of my film classes I took in University, he was at the forefront of anything Italian:my Italian Cinema class was based on 2 of his books and man, I read them to death lol.
That's exactly it. It's cheesy as hell and given the times we live in, it's exactly what I need right now. Any film that plays 'No Easy Way Out' in full TWICE is OK in my book. The first one is definitely the best; no matter how much I watch it, the ending always chokes me up (and I still fancy Adrian from the first film~!)

I'm seeing Rocky V tonight which is probably my least favourite, but all of them have some merit. It always bugs me when people get snobby about stuff like this, but also when people refuse to watch anything but AAA blockbusters. I like to venture between both extremes as it's more fun that way.

Anyways

I recently watched this

Console Wars -- I had read the book it was based on a while back but was still keen to see this documentary. It's really good! If you're a fan of that era or just video games in general, you need to see this at least once.

:eek: It's been released?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Havetowatchit-havetowatchit-havetowatchit.

That's exactly it. It's cheesy as hell and given the times we live in, it's exactly what I need right now. Any film that plays 'No Easy Way Out' in full TWICE is OK in my book. The first one is definitely the best; no matter how much I watch it, the ending always chokes me up (and I still fancy Adrian from the first film~!)

I'm seeing Rocky V tonight which is probably my least favourite, but all of them have some merit. It always bugs me when people get snobby about stuff like this, but also when people refuse to watch anything but AAA blockbusters. I like to venture between both extremes as it's more fun that way.

While V isn't the greatest thing ever, I actually did enjoy it. Just sad they stopped with the, "No pain!" "no pain" No pain!" "no pain." lol

And I agree with your second sentiment; it's like a videogame.

You can like it or dislike it all you want but if the game has:

1. Playable gameplay (ie: you can beat it)
2. Some semblance of a plot (if necessary)
3. Competent graphics
4. A soundtrack/sound effects

Even if it's the bare minimum of each, its a 3-5/10 game, period. Even 3 may be a bit low. The same with films; even if it's a slapped-together mess of images and a plot that doesn't fully make sense, it isn't a 1/10 film; for how awful the Room is, it is a competently-made film, structure-wise and for that, it isn't the worst film ever.

Anyways, ranting a bit now lol :$

Tekken movie from 2009 unfortunately. 1.5 hours I can never get back.

While V isn't the greatest thing ever, I actually did enjoy it. Just sad they stopped with the, "No pain!" "no pain" No pain!" "no pain." lol
So watching Rocky V again, I think it holds up pretty well, especially after watching Creed I and II where he also takes on a mentoring role. Great Elton John end them too. Watching Rocky Balboa for the first time in 8 years nearly had me welling up. Funilly enough, on my FB 'on this day' the day I saw it was 8 years to the day I finished watching the Rocky series last, so that made me laugh. I'd love to do the 'Rocky Steps' one day.

I also saw Akira in IMAX the day before Cineworld closed and my GOD, it was glorious. That film has aged beautifully.

Finally - and this is a bit naughty - I got a bootleg BR of Urotsukidoji (if you google it, please note it is 100% NSFW). The film was edited by 20 minutes from 3 OVA's to make a movie which was then cut by another 3 minutes to get an 18 rating in the UK. The bootleg I have has all 4 movies totalling 9 1/2 hours - 2 hours of which I wager was cut/banned in the UK. Watching it uncut is surreal and grotesque. Despite being over 30 years old, there are some scenes that i'm baffled were allowed to be made. As a teenager, watching stuff like this was my only form of rebellion and whilst I think that it is degrading to women (like most hentai films), there is something bafflingly interesting about this film. I actually met the creator of the manga at a comic-con a few years ago and he was paradoxically very kind and sweet. He autographed a DVD I had (also banned in the UK) which was nice of him.

I will do another 10 films (that I've not seen or haven't seen in years) once i've watched a few more :)

AK - Sorry, I meant to click edit! Please disregard!

So finally watched another 10~

1) The Mummy (Karl Freund, 1932): Enjoyable Boris Karloff horror! I love the use of silence in the old movies, but the pacing is all over the place.

2) How Much Wood Would A Woodchuck Chuck (Werner Herzog, 1976): Sadly, this documentary on speed talkers was awful compared to the last one I watched. It might have been because I watched it in German and most of it was in English with Herzog translating in German as opposed to the other way around. It was very odd!

3) Game of Death (Robert Clouse, 1978): An enjoyable car crash of a film. Only 11 minutes of Bruce Lee's original footage was used in this film. Having watched the 40 minutes he filmed earlier in the year, it says a lot that the best bit of the movie is his own stuff. Such a tragedy his film was unfinished.

4) American Ninja 4: The Annihilation (Cedric Sunstorm, 1990): I knew it was going to be naff, but my God this was awful. They tried to be serious which is the last thing you want in a bloody Cannon movie!

5) Time of the Wolf (Michael Haneke, 2003): The master of art-house miserabilism (tied with Lars Von Trier) doing a post-apocalyptic movie sounds like a great idea, but sadly it just felt like a pastiche. I longed to want to rewatch '71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance' or 'Funny Games' instead.

6) All Monsters Attack (Ishiro Honda, 1969): Mega cheap Godzilla film, but kinda goofy fun. That said, i'm starting to think that £150 is a bit of a rip off for 15 Godzilla films when many of them aren't really that great.

7) Salon Kitty (Tinto Brass, 1976): Soft-core Nazispolitation erotica...let that sink in. It's actually pretty decent and based on a true story of the Nazi's using women in a brothel in order to steal state secrets. It's better than SS Experiment Camp at the very least...

8) Frankenstein (James Whale, 1931): Kinda similar to The Mummy in terms of pacing and quietness, but again, great to watch an iconic film!

9) Friday the 13th Part III (Steve Miner, 1982): Might be my favourite of the 3 so far. It's cheap and tacky and you can tell the 3D effects a mile off haha.

10) Lights in the Dusk (Aki Kaurismaki, 2006): Bone dry comedy. You have to be in the mood to watch his films as they are very slow paced, but if you can attune to its rhythm, it's pretty decent.

Sadly, none I rate more than 3/5 here, but can't win them all~!

Pacific Rim Uprising ( tv) - it was ok but not really amazing. i thought the chinese character speaking chinese was clearly only put in the movie to help it sell in china.

3 bilbords ( tv) great movie in tone and plot but i thought the ending was a little weak.

the trial of the chicago 7 ( netflix) an interesting historical movie. i would give it 7/10

Watched Flashpoint from 2007 with Donnie Yen yesterday 7/10.

Special ID from 2014 with Donnie Yen today, really disappointing. 5/10

Back