Where U think the source of Haters originated from???

II fleshed things out more and moved the story on well. Shenmue I take into the end of disc 2 to really kick into gear and then its fantastic
See, I actually disagree. I think Disc 2 is the best. Disc 3, while having the most fighting, is the most protracted and tedious. It feels like a lot of filler.

I get that may be controversial to say as I may be the only Shenmue fan that actually hates the forklifts and thinks it's the worst part of this series.

How is this any different in Shenmue II? Just because the tone of the game is less melanhcoly? It makes even less sense for Ryo to be buying capsule toys, playing video games, etc. considering he's now in a foreign land all by himself, isn't receiving an allowance from Ine-san, immediately meets a gang that steals all his stuff, and is still obsessed with avenging his father's death (the only reason he even left the safety and familiarity of home).
I think a few things are getting crossed here. I'm not saying that S1 is flawed because of side stuff like capsule toys and soda, I just pointed to penny arcade because it was something that was being made fun of even at the time. My main point is that S1 does a poor job of starting with a sense of urgency; you walk around your hometown asking people for leads that most people playing the game at the time knew weren't going to amount to anything (and they don't). Furthermore, the somber, serious tone is at odds with Ryo's blank slate character. You would expect scenes of people being worried about Ryo and Ryo acting emotionally, but he's very calm and patient.

S2 has Ryo following leads that actually progress the story right from the beginning and his blank slate character is more appropriate because he's meeting new characters, they didn't know him his entire life (and all the baggage that comes with that).

Also, Nozomi checks up on him several times, Fuku-san and Ine-san are worried about him, etc.
There's definitely some of this in S1, my criticism is mainly of the beginning of the game.

He's not just playing with a kitten. He's helping to take care of a kitten whose mother was killed by the same people who killed his father on the same day, and he makes it clear during a cutscene that he feels a connection to the kitten because of this.
I know.

He apparently loves Shenmue II even though he hates I & III.
I don't hate S1, but I consider it flawed enough to be a bad game. For its time I gave it a pass on a lot of its flaws but time has not been kind to it. I don't know if I hate S3 either, I'm more just disappointed.

(EDIT) Also, I have to point out that there is absolutely nothing wrong or mysterious about disliking certain entries in a series. I love Metal Gear Solid 3 but I don't like MGS4 even though they're superficially very similar and MGS4 is actually superior in many regards. Games, like all art, are about the totality of the experience.

How is it different?!
If I haven't painted a picture yet then I don't think I'm going to. S2 simply makes more sense than S1, if you were to outline the events in a chart, they would follow logically (for the most part) where they don't in S1 and 3. It's fairly obvious to me that S1 was supposed to be a fraction of the length and I think most of its flaws stem from that. As I said, you could easily cut everything that happens before Ine san gives Ryo the letter and almost nothing would change.

Last edited:
See, I actually disagree. I think Disc 2 is the best. Disc 3, while having the most fighting, is the most protracted and tedious. It feels like a lot of filler.

I get that may be controversial to say as I may be the only Shenmue fan that actually hates the forklifts and thinks it's the worst part of this series.
Not controversial at all. Each to their own :).

Yu Suzuki has said Ryo is basically meant to be a blank slate or a stand-in for the player, which is why he seems so neutral. Think of him like Link or Crono, except he actually speaks. I also think there's some sort of Japanese character type he's meant to match.

If I haven't painted a picture yet then I don't think I'm going to. S2 simply makes more sense than S1, if you were to outline the events in a chart, they would follow logically (for the most part) where they don't in S1 and 3. It's fairly obvious to me that S1 was supposed to be a fraction of the length and I think most of its flaws stem from that. As I said, you could easily cut everything that happens before Ine san gives Ryo the letter and almost nothing would change.
No, I don't think you're going to. The stuff Ryo does before he receives the letter still has an effect on what happens after he receives it. For example, he's able to get it translated by Gaowen's grandmother because he saves Gaowen from Charlie. You keep harping on this when I just don't see what the big deal is anyway. In a detective story, not every single lead is going turn up truly useful information. Everything that Ryo does all comes together in just the right way so that he ends up learning more about Lan Di, finding the Phoenix Mirror, and getting Master Chen to help him go to Hong Kong.

And besides all that, I wasn't asking how it's different from Shenmue II. I was asking how the hell what's allegedly wrong with Shenmue I & III is different from the ludo-narrative dissonance that almost every game has?

No, I don't think you're going to. The stuff Ryo does before he receives the letter still has an effect on what happens after he receives it. For example, he's able to get it translated by Gaowen's grandmother because he saves Gaowen from Charlie. You keep harping on this when I just don't see what the big deal is anyway. In a detective story, not every single lead is going turn up truly useful information. Everything that Ryo does all comes together in just the right way so that he ends up learning more about Lan Di, finding the Phoenix Mirror, and getting Master Chen to help him go to Hong Kong.

Not the guy you were replying to but I'll bite.

I actually think looking for sailors/Charlie should have been cut as well. It would have been better to get the letter from the beginning (especially since it's shown in the opening cutscene) and have translating it tie into the 3 blades.

I'm fine with Shenmue having a slower start, it acts almost as a tutorial to the game and introduces you to the world and characters. All those loose ends though just aren't interesting and it feels like the game is meandering instead of building towards something interesting. Not to mention all the forced waiting around for the next story event. Dunkey criticizes this in his Shenmue review.

At the end of the day I can see why this turned a lot of people without patience off. I even remember myself in 2000 thinking that Shenmue was an interesting game with a lot of good potential, but if the sequel was just as meandering I probably would have given up on it. I can see why most people make fun of the looking for sailors, it's likely the part of the game where they just tuned out or gave up.

The stuff Ryo does before he receives the letter still has an effect on what happens after he receives it. For example, he's able to get it translated by Gaowen's grandmother because he saves Gaowen from Charlie. You keep harping on this when I just don't see what the big deal is anyway.
I'm not trying to convince you to dislike S1. I know you like the game, it's pretty safe to assume nearly everyone here does. I'm trying to articulate why S1 doesn't work for me and I think that would help explain why it doesn't work for a lot of people.

In a detective story, not every single lead is going turn up truly useful information.
Sure but the beginning of a story should start with a sense of urgency, not the sense that your time is being wasted. Ryo starts by asking people about the black car, and it has nothing to do with anything, and most players know it has nothing to do with anything; it's absurd.

I was asking how the hell what's allegedly wrong with Shenmue I & III is different from the ludo-narrative dissonance that almost every game has?
Because the story and gameplay are at odds. In S1, Ryo's father has just been murdered and he swears revenge so he... casually asks the neighbors if they can tell him anything and
they can't.
And it just goes on like that for hours until the leads run out and Ine san gives Ryo the letter.

S2 ends with Shenhua's father missing, a note that he left predicting that someone holding the Phoenix Mirror would show up mere days before it happened, as well as our two protagonists witnessing fucking MAGIC so naturally S3 starts with... Ryo casually asking villagers if they know anything and
they don't. And it continues like that for the entire game, searching for one guy at a snails pace while people just direct you to other people. And then at the very end, when Ryo finally finds him, he doesn't even ask him about anything. He just gets pointed in the direction of the sequel.
I damn near started screaming at the TV 10 hours in asking "how is this going to lead anywhere?!" and it didn't.

And bear in mind, in S1 and 3, this is all if you follow the story, this isn't harping on side content like how in RPGs you're supposed to be saving the world but just can't stop playing card games.

IMO the Shenmue community is the cause of all the hate. Shenmue fans are very passionate about the series and alot of time not open to criticism. This isn't the whole community but it's a fair number of people. I've seen some very nasty comments aimed at gamers that don't like Shenmue. As much as I love Shenmue I can admit its flaws(voice acting, controls, can be boring at times) and I know there are some people that the game won't appeal to.

There's a skit with Youtuber Jim Sterling where he's acting like a snobby European royalist. I think this skit is hilarious because alot of Shenmue fans come across like this. I know these people are in the minority of the Shenmue community but the community definitely has some bad apples.

IMO the Shenmue community is the cause of all the hate. Shenmue fans are very passionate about the series and alot of time not open to criticism. This isn't the whole community but it's a fair number of people. I've seen some very nasty comments aimed at gamers that don't like Shenmue. As much as I love Shenmue I can admit its flaws(voice acting, controls, can be boring at times) and I know there are some people that the game won't appeal to.

There's a skit with Youtuber Jim Sterling where he's acting like a snobby European royalist. I think this skit is hilarious because alot of Shenmue fans come across like this. I know these people are in the minority of the Shenmue community but the community definitely has some bad apples.

I have to say theres a select amount that are out there like that. Theres some definitely justified criticism there and also the misconception that that group represent the whole fanbase.

Flip side is that the media have beaten Shenmue for years before E3 and after. When it got announced they lost that stick they could prod us with and select outlets ran articles that boarded on plain lies around the kickstarter. I do think we're justified in being wary of the wider gaming world but it doesn't justify some of the nasty comments fans have made.

I've always said keep in constructive and cordial. If people then go off on one in response that's their issue.

I understand your point but I have two nitpicks.
Because the story and gameplay are at odds. In S1, Ryo's father has just been murdered and he swears revenge so he... casually asks the neighbors if they can tell him anything and
they can't.
And it just goes on like that for hours until the leads run out and Ine san gives Ryo the letter.
Even if you are right about the letter your spoiler is wrong because
tom lead him to chinese peoples, then liu san lead him to the chinese mafia and the harbor.
S2 ends with Shenhua's father missing, a note that he left predicting that someone holding the Phoenix Mirror would show up mere days before it happened, as well as our two protagonists witnessing fucking MAGIC so naturally S3 starts with... Ryo casually asking villagers if they know anything
Shenmue 3 don't start that way, it start with
a retcon of shenmue 2 ending with no sword to be seen.

thats exactly what you said.
No it's not at all. You have the quote right there, you can just re-read it.

lol what?
Were are all the random enemy encounters in S2 then? Where are all the boss battles that occur every hour half hour? The gameplay IS a huge factor in 'pacing' in a FF game you cannot leave that out arbitrarily. The "grind" in FF games is a huge component in it and there is NO grind in S2 because its really not an RPG.
Do I seriously need to explain how story pacing is different from gameplay pacing?

You keep harping about story like its the only important factor of the Shenmue games.
Shenmue is not a visual novel
It sounds like that is what you wanted.
Or a book maybe
No, a good game would've been fine.

But this doesn't answer the question of why the media hates the game. Why are these games looked back upon as being so bad, when they are objectively not, or why there is such a double standard? I have wrestled with this question myself the past few years and I came to this thread to discuss that.

Nothing hard about it. The series is pure adventure, therefore niche. The games don't provide players instant gratification, contrary to games that focus mainly on adrenaline pumping action, the easy sense of excitement and commitment.

Fair enough. I was referring to the traditional point and click adventure game which has absolutely fallen out of favour since the early 2000's. I'm not saying adventure games in no form still exist or have a market. Albeit that market is still not mainstream compared to action games. A part of this may be the reason Shenmue isn't received as well as it could be.

You only think of the traditional point and click games as the ones with static backgrounds and literal onscreen mouse pointer interaction, but they were only that way because of the technological limitations of the time. The genre is still alive today, and they are not as popular because other genres incorporated their best elements into their own and so pure adventure games became an acquired taste. Still, if you look carefully you will find that the genre still produces some of the best games to be played today like The Talos Principle and Outer Wilds, and Shenmue of course.

There are. When I replayed these games this year in anticipation of Shenmue 3 I tried my best to keep an open mind and understand what the critics were talking about. It's hard. I am a little blinded by nostalgia for sure, I bet we all are, but I did try to look at these games with an objective lens of a more casual gamer, especially one coming to the series now without having played them before.
These games have flaws: they are goofy, sometimes unintentionally, make some bad design decisions at times, and are somewhat slow and clunky to play. Both of them.

I'm not blinded by nostalgia as I can put into words why the series works design wise and without resorting to sentimentality or storytelling, while most of your arguments fall into small technical inconveniences. Is the original Resident Evil any less of a masterpiece because of tank controls and bad acting? Worse, your arguments always center around story plots and that is no game design at all, and if you don't think that's true then the likes of Citizen Kane and La Dolce Vita would be already videogame masterpieces on the strength of that single quality alone, and maybe put a few interactable cutscenes just for the official videogame label for anyone who disagrees. Plus you have even trouble defining gaming genres as you posted something along the lines that story pace makes S2 closer to a RPG which makes absolute no sense.

That being said I still think Shenmue 2 is an objectively good game at least, and doesn't deserve the flack it gets. Majority of the complaints from the HD re-release are for functional issues, of which Shenmue 2 virtually remedied all of them. Yet these critics never review Shenmue 2, they make up their minds on the series based on the first one.

To be clear I'm not saying Shenmue 1 is a bad game, I'm saying that most of the complaints by mainstream people are remedied in the sequel, but many don't make it that far. Obviously some people just won't ever like Shenmue. they either don't like adventure games or can't get into the story or concept. However, even in that case I don't think it deserves the flak it gets.

That's just your assumption that most didn't play S2 because of S1, specially critics which would be no short of unprofessional, unless you show us some proof. Either way even if S1 & 3, the bad ones according to you, didn't exist people would still hate S2 with its still apparent "funny" dialogue and odd camera work, non-action focused mechanics and progression aside from QTEfest interactable cutscenes which is the least action-like design if you look at actual action games. It's still Shenmue. S2 is no Uncharted or Yakuza.

The action adventure genre is really nebulous and all encompassing. Another poster even showed that GameFAQS listed games across a huge spectrum from GTA to Castlevania as action adventure. Hotline Miami is on that list lol. Even Shenmue is labelled as such.

I'm saying that its such a broad moniker that it's almost useless in discussion. I've bolded the relevant parts.

Not nebulous or hard to classify if you think of their main method of game progression or design. It's only useless in discussion for you that like to focus mainly in story progression in games:
Suzuki also said that this entry would continue the story and have more story in it than previous entires. At the end of the day yes, I'm interested in Shenmue for the story. If it's not bothering to continue that then I don't care.

Shenmue is an epic quest story with a martial arts background. The grander narrative alluded to is obviously so much more than a basic revenge story. If that's all it was I wouldn't have gotten into it.

One of us doesn't get what Shenmue is about; I'm afraid it may be me. if after all these years that's all Shenmue is, then yeah, I guess I don't really like Shenmue. That's not what I wanted from this game.

You should maybe evaluate whether you still like videogames anymore, because to me if a game designer tells me that his game's main strength is the story then it's definitely not a game worth playing because I rather watch a film made by an actual film director instead.

Last edited:
Plus you have even trouble defining gaming genres as you posted something along the lines that story pace makes S2 closer to a RPG which makes absolute no sense.
I think you might be referring to what I said, which was that S2's story is paced closer to an RPG (specifically a big budget JRPG like Final Fantasy) and S1's is paced more like an adventure game. I say this because game genres tell their stories in different ways, if you go into S3 expecting the story to move at a similar pace to S2 (introducing new characters and plot points fairly rapidly), then you're going to have a bad time. Just clarifying that I did not say that the story pace of S2 makes it an RPG.

Nothing hard about it. The series is pure adventure, therefore niche. The games don't provide players instant gratification, contrary to games that focus mainly on adrenaline pumping action, the easy sense of excitement and easier to commit to.
This doesn't answer the question of this thread. There are a lot of niche games, there are games that are unpopular, neither of these things generates the backlash and sometimes double standards that a lot people hold Shenmue to.

AGAIN, the question is not whether Shenmue is popular or successful, but why is it hated, why does it have such an unfair backlash against it.
You only think of the traditional point and click games as the ones with static backgrounds and literal onscreen mouse pointer interaction, but they were only that way because of the technological limitations of the time. The genre is still alive today, and they are not as popular because other genres incorporated their best elements into their own and so pure adventure games became an acquired taste. Still, if you look carefully you will find that the genre still produces some of the best games to be played today like The Talos Principle and Outer Wilds.
Yes I agree with you. I've been saying that adventure games have evolved and merged with other genres.

By traditional adventure games I mean like the ones LucasArts and Sierra were making in the 90's. Large Dialogue trees and inventory puzzles, that sort of thing. Of course they still exist, but they are mostly made by indies now.

Anyway, you and I seem to be on the same page.
I'm not blinded by nostalgia as I can put into words why the series works design wise and without resorting to sentimentality or storytelling, while most of your arguments fall into small technical inconveniences. Is the original Resident Evil any less of a masterpiece because of tank controls and bad acting?
Things can become dated. It doesn't lessen their value, but it can lessen their impact on new audiences or make it harder for them to get into.

Ironically, I think Shenmue has aged well from a technological standpoint.
Worse, your arguments always center around story plots and that is no game design at all, and if you don't think that's true then the likes of Citizen Kane and La Dolce Vita would be already videogame masterpieces on the strength of that single quality alone, and maybe put some interactable cutscenes to put the official videogame label on it.
I'm not sure where you saying my arguments always revolve around story, that simply isn't true. If I have come across that way, it's only because of the contexts of the conversations, I'm happy to discuss game design as well.

It's funny you brought up Citizen Kane. I used to think Shenmue was like the CK of games in a way because of how influential it was and how much everyone hated it when it came out. I believed that decades down the line the games would be rediscovered and their influence would be recognized. Sadly, 20 years on and given the topic of this thread that isn't the case.
Also, CK was not lauded for its story but mostly for technological advancements in editing and camera techniques.
Plus you have even trouble defining gaming genres as you posted something along the lines that story pace makes S2 closer to a RPG which makes absolute no sense.
I think you may be confusing me for another poster, I never said Shenmue 2 is closer to an RPG, that was someone else.
That's just your assumption that most didn't play S2 because of S1, specially critics which would be no short of unprofessional, unless show us some proof. Either way even if S1 & 3, the bad ones according to you, didn't exist people would still hate S2 with its still apparent "funny" dialogue and odd camera work, non-action focused mechanics and progression aside from QTEfest interactable cutscenes which is the least action-like design if you look at actual action games. It's still Shenmue. S2 is no Uncharted or Yakuza.
Again, you're conflating me with someone else. I didn't say S1 & 3 were the bad ones, though I do think they are a bit weaker than S2.

As to your point, you may be right. Shenmue 2 didn't have a wide western release, so maybe if it did it would have come under the same scrutiny. Either way I'm not convinced that a lot of people didn't jump ship because they couldn't get into S1.
Not nebulous or hard to classify if you think of their main method of game progression or design. It's only useless in discussion for you that like to focus mainly in story progression in games:
You've completely mischaracterized me, I was actually coming at it from a gameplay perspective, not narrative. It was Budgie who was saying that Uncharted is an adventure game because "you go on an adventure". I was saying it was an action game/action platformer based on the gameplay.
You should maybe evaluate whether you still like videogames anymore, because to me if a game designer tells me that his game's main strength is the story then it's definitely not a game worth playing because I rather watch a film made by an actual film director instead.
So your argument is that games can't tell good stories? That they aren't a narrative medium? I actually like Shenmue when it uses its gameplay to tell the narrative (alongside cutscenes), its what makes it its most powerful.

I have to wonder if you need to evaluate why you like this series? If its an adventure game at its core then its narrative focused, and it obviously is. So if you don't like stories in games, or think film does it better why he hell do you care if this series continues! You want Shenmue 4 to what, play Sega arcade games? you can already do that through an emulator.

I want to add that I've come to this thread to discuss why Shenmue has such a bad legacy, and I have to say I now agree with some other posters that (at least some) of its fanbase is to blame. Your comment is overly hostile for no reason. I've been met with, and seen others post, needlessly hostile comments because some of us are posting very legitimate criticisms of Shenmue on a thread investigating why the broader community hates it.

The apologists on this thread are ridiculous, how dare we insult their god and savior, Shenmue. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. People can love some things about this series and dislike others. it doesn't mean we are not fans.

Last edited:
@hmjohnny I actually confused you for another poster, so actually I apologize. I was thinking of @iknifaugood maybe when I posted all this. Anyway, sorry if I look way too hostile on my post.

About the question of the thread, I believe it was due to despite Shenmue being niche, it is a high profile game mainly because of Yu Suzuki and the fact it gained notoriety for being the most expensive game project of its time and the result didn't have the mainstream appeal of his usual arcade hits like Outrun and Virtua Fighter.

About stories in games, it's not that I think they have no use as I much prefer games to have stories than not. But to me they are not full fledged story like cinema, but simply hooks that give the player a reason to be within the game world. And the most important part is the in-between the hooks, the game itself in which players have some sort of agency and interaction with is that what tell the "best stories", if you know what I mean. That's why I play games. The story itself is just a default motivation or intrisic reward for the players to immerse themselves with the game world. And I'm not gonna get that from films no matter how good their stories are.

Anyway, critic away about any of Shenmue games... I was just reading some posts about how S2 was a good game, or even almost RPG as one posted, while the rest were garbage, and thought it was funny as they are fundamentaly the same at their core. And so I commented away without a thought. Apologies again.

That's just your assumption that most didn't play S2 because of S1, specially critics which would be no short of unprofessional, unless you show us some proof.
Funhaus, Jim Sterling, and Yahtzee, probably the highest profile vocal haters of Shenmue, did not play Shenmue 2.

Either way even if S1 & 3, the bad ones according to you, didn't exist people would still hate S2 with its still apparent "funny" dialogue and odd camera work, non-action focused mechanics and progression aside from QTEfest interactable cutscenes which is the least action-like design if you look at actual action games. It's still Shenmue. S2 is no Uncharted or Yakuza.
Plenty of non-action focused games are critical darlings. Yahtzee gave his Game of the Year 2018 to Return of the Obra Dinn. I have said that if you really hate S1 and 3, S2 isn't going to change your mind, but it is significantly less open to mockery and has significantly more interesting characters and moments.

Real talk: if someone pitched you the game design doc of Shenmue and said that it wasn't a story focused game, would you green light it? You run around an environment and press interact on things for like 75% of the game, if that isn't to tell a story then what's it for?

I was just reading some posts about how S2 was a good game, or even almost RPG as one posted, while the rest were garbage, and thought it was funny as they are fundamentaly the same at their core.
I'll say it again: MGS3 is great; MGS4 is bad, they're fundamentally the same at their core. This is not unique to Shenmue.

Funhaus, Jim Sterling, and Yahtzee, probably the highest profile vocal haters of Shenmue, did not play Shenmue 2.

I honestly don't know who most of them are, except for Jim Sterling and isn't he supposed to be an entertainer more than anything else? A lot of these thrive on the negativity anyway for clicks, so you where they are coming from. I don't particularly care anyway.

Plenty of non-action focused games are critical darlings. Yahtzee gave his Game of the Year 2018 to Return of the Obra Dinn. I have said that if you really hate S1 and 3, S2 isn't going to change your mind, but it is significantly less open to mockery and has significantly more interesting characters and moments.

I honestly doubt it, and I think people in here posted already videos of players mocking S2 as well. Anyway, it's a what if situation, so nothing more to go on beyond speculation.

Real talk: if someone pitched you the game design doc of Shenmue and said that it wasn't a story focused game, would you green light it? You run around an environment and press interact on things for like 75% of the game, if that isn't to tell a story then what's it for?

Again, as I said it's not like I feel a story is to be disregarded in a game totally. You still need a hook to keep players immersed, but its quality and quantity are not game design itself. Like good graphics and sound, all of these are needed for game immersion, but each of them themselves are not what gives the game its core definition. If the game is designed with branching paths in mind, then yes better stories enhance the experience as it complements that mechanic more than if it was done on a linear type of game. Anyway, the answer to your question is yes as Shenmue is not that story focused anyway. If you look at what consists of a well structured story, at least for me, is that it has to have an initial exposition, an overarching conflict and rising action, and an ending overall resolution. Does it look like any of the games have all those? You said yourself that Shenmue 1's story was not good with plot holes and stuff (I think you did anyway, forgive me if I got the wrong poster again). But to me they are perfect, as they give me enough as the player to fill the gap with my own stories through simply playing the game, interacting with the world. In S2 you get robbed by Wong in the beginning of the game. You think that was some story masterclass by Yu Suzuki? No, it was just an excuse for me the player to play a QTE action sequence which will lead to a gang fight after and when all that done, force the player to look for a job and so on.... hooks leading to other ones in a fluid gaming experience. While in S1, most think of the game as a revenge story, but me playing the game it was more like Ryo was trying to reconnect to his estranged father, the irony being that he only got to know his father better after he was murdered. And this wasn't told through cutscenes, just me going through drawers inside the Hazuki household. That's me though, of course your experience may vary. And that's the beauty of it.

I'll say it again: MGS3 is great; MGS4 is bad, they're fundamentally the same at their core. This is not unique to Shenmue.
At the time I think I did one consecutive playthrough right after ending the first one with MGS4 as I was having so much fun with the game. So I disagree it's bad by any means, and yes I guess it's not unique to Shenmue as I did not find any of the MGS core games bad at all considering they use the same formula design wise.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know who most of them are, except for Jim Sterling and isn't he supposed to be an entertainer more than anything else? A lot of these thrive on the negativity anyway for clicks, so you where they are coming from. I don't particularly care anyway.
You asked for evidence of people who didn’t play S2 because of S1 and there they are. They also have some of the most watched videos on Shenmue. You’re right that they’re entertainers concerned with clicks first though.

In S2 you get robbed by Wong in the beginning of the game. You think that was some story masterclass by Yu Suzuki?
So the beginning to S2 is the best in the series for several reasons:
1. It provides a fast paced action hook to grab the player’s attention.
2. It raises the stakes immediately characterizing Hong Kong as a dangerous place that Ryo is totally unprepared for.
3. Ryo loses the Phoenix Mirror so he immediately has 2 important objectives (find his bag and find Lishao Tao).
4. It sets up Wong and the Heavens who are important later on. In fact it’s key to a great character arc for Wong as he’s basically introduced as a little asshole yet by the end of the end of the game he’s become a beloved character.
5. As you point out, this means Ryo is strapped for cash and leads to the gameplay around money.

It may not be storytelling genius but it works on so many levels that I’m gonna go ahead and call it that anyway.

At the time I think I did one consecutive playthrough right after ending the first one with MGS4 as I was having so much fun with the game.
To each his own. I think MGS4 suffers mostly from having too much story (a story that relies too much on magic nanomachines as catch all explanations) to the point that the gameplay suffers. I felt like I barely scratched the surface of the mechanics because I was too busy being yanked into cutscenes or different locations and scenarios every 5 minutes. It definitely has its moments though and it’s still better than MGS5 (though that’s a complicated rabbit hole).

I’m just pointing out that it’s possible to like a series and dislike individual installments.

Back