Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
49 Days here. I only go out now for throwing garbage and buying bread, meat and vegetables. The rest of the groceries I am using Prime Now and this kind of stuff. Also I will probably keep working from home until July/August, but I don't want to go out to walk or exercise or anything when the Goverment allows it in the next weeks. I think I am developing agoraphobia.

One of the scariest things to come from this situation is just how many people are peddling these dangerous conspiracy theories on social media.

It seems like almost everyone on my Facebook suddenly thinks they're qualified to broadcast their medical opinion. They're also quite happy to dispute the opinions of actual medical professionals, that is, unless said professionals release YouTube videos that fit their own narrative.

It's actually frightening just how many seem to believe in the 5G theory, or that Bill Gates has masterminded this entire scenario to sell vaccines, etc. I'm sure for some people, it's just lockdown-induced madness, but the lack of basic rational thinking in what seems to be a significant proportion of the population (at least those who post on social media) worries the shit out of me.

One of the scariest things to come from this situation is just how many people are peddling these dangerous conspiracy theories on social media.

It seems like almost everyone on my Facebook suddenly thinks they're qualified to broadcast their medical opinion. They're also quite happy to dispute the opinions of actual medical professionals, that is, unless said professionals release YouTube videos that fit their own narrative.

It's actually frightening just how many seem to believe in the 5G theory, or that Bill Gates has masterminded this entire scenario to sell vaccines, etc. I'm sure for some people, it's just lockdown-induced madness, but the lack of basic rational thinking in what seems to be a significant proportion of the population (at least those who post on social media) worries the shit out of me.
What’s bizarre is that they’ll refuse to believe mainstream news because they think it’s all fake, but they’ll believe random nobodies on Twitter or random image memes with specious unsourced facts.

Somehow, fuck knows how, it fell under my remit apparently to coordinate and be the lead in overseeing risk assessments being completed for 4,500 odd vulnerable children and young people in response to the Covid-19 situation (on top of everything else I do). So I have also been doing crazy hours.

I'm thinking this whole working full time from home whilst looking after a toddler thing really isn't sustainable in the slightest. My wife is also working from home. It's a nightmare when we both have Skype meetings that clash or we're both mega busy with crazy deadlines at the same time.
You in the line of work of either social care or SEN? We've got that going on at our place. Crazy times.

You in the line of work of either social care or SEN? We've got that going on at our place. Crazy times.

SEN haha, although we're also working closely with social care and health. Which are you?

It's mental. I'm getting asked for data and numbers literally every 5 minutes and that's in addition to all my normal work. I'm knackered. Plus we've been RAG rating them all, but now we're taking all the ambers and been told to make them either a red or a green.

SEN haha, although we're also working closely with social care and health. Which are you?

It's mental. I'm getting asked for data and numbers literally every 5 minutes and that's in addition to all my normal work. I'm knackered. Plus we've been RAG rating them all, but now we're taking all the ambers and been told to make them either a red or a green.
SEN. Casework is what I do. It's been mental since Covid kicked in.

SEN. Casework is what I do. It's been mental since Covid kicked in.

Ah fair enough. Yeah, indeed it has been. The DFE are going to be asking for weekly data returns shortly (I'm the data/stats officer), so that's going to be fun.

Ah fair enough. Yeah, indeed it has been. The DFE are going to be asking for weekly data returns shortly (I'm the data/stats officer), so that's going to be fun.
Yeah that's going to be crazy. We had to do RA's for all ours and that's about 4000 cases.

I swear not being on social media is a God send. I hear all the time about this and that being said on Facebook and Instagram. I don't think it's representative of the real world but there is definitely significant portion of being who just believe most things posted online because they can't educate themselves or see beyond a headline. I got a letter through the post saying how myself and my son had been removed from the organ donation register. I was so confused as this was not something I did. Turns out the other half saw something on Instagram and thought she would take us off it without telling me.

I put my head in my hands in disbelief over the stupidity of the decision but calmed myself down to ask her what I thought was a very relevant question: "Our son, who has had two separate blood transfusions, were to develop an issue that required an organ transplant, would you accept the organ?". She replied "yes". Part of me was even more upset with her answer because of the hypocrisy, despite being the right thing to say.

Some muppet in our team decided we need to do it for those with draft plans too, so I'm having to continuously add new drafts to the list every single day.
That's crazy considering new plans pop up all the time. That's not what you want

That's crazy considering new plans pop up all the time. That's not what you want

I know, but the higher ups don't quite understand the logistical nightmares involved in everything they keep asking for or expecting (to be fair, that's just true in general). On top of that, each risk assessment is being evaluated into a category of high risk, medium or low and I'm having to send a list of high risk ones to social care every single day so they can fill in information their end and return to us the next day. No one seems to quite understand the issue when you're not dealing with a static data set and there's multiple people and teams involved in working on the risk assessments.

How does everyone think the world will change going forward? For the most part, I see things go back to normal pretty quickly. I've been in London when bombs have gone off and people still casually going about their business like nothing has happened. I see working from home and people staying away when they have the flu being more of a thing but apart from that, I think people are pretty keen to get back to normal.

Reactions: red
I know, but the higher ups don't quite understand the logistical nightmares involved in everything they keep asking for or expecting (to be fair, that's just true in general). On top of that, each risk assessment is being evaluated into a category of high risk, medium or low and I'm having to send a list of high risk ones to social care every single day so they can fill in information their end and return to us the next day. No one seems to quite understand the issue when you're not dealing with a static data set and there's multiple people and teams involved in working on the risk assessments.
No its tough and that's ontop of the other statutory work that comes in. Saying that SEN casework is always mental any time of year. Can't say it's ever boring though.

Ha what are the chances? I work with NEET's 16-18, including those with SEN.

Small world
Fair play man that's a tough job. Rewarding but tough.

Ha what are the chances? I work with NEET's 16-18, including those with SEN.

Small world

Ha I used to do that too. It really is a small world.

No its tough and that's ontop of the other statutory work that comes in. Saying that SEN casework is always mental any time of year. Can't say it's ever boring though.

Oh yeah, no doubt. The world of SEND is always crazy. I don't know how Caseworkers cope with the ever increasing demand.

Ha I used to do that too. It really is a small world.

Oh yeah, no doubt. The world of SEND is always crazy. I don't know how Caseworkers cope with the ever increasing demand.
We all sit in the corner and rock lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back