Is Yu Suzuki out of touch with gaming standards?

No pissing contest. This somehow warped into a Shenmue vs. Mario thing when it was intended as A Hat in Time vs. Shenmue 3 comparison to demonstrate that the difference in budget shouldn’t be used as an excuse.

5 guys with $300k came damn close to Mario so don’t tell me dozens of guys with millions of dollars and the same lead designer can’t come close to Shenmue. Is my only real point.

I'd argue they did come close to Shenmue. I'd argue the design is Shenmue through and through. Story, presentation and character issues aside...I still feel like the game design was pure Shenmue.

The real question to me is did some people expect more and come to feel disappointed by the little they got or did people grow up and move on from Shenmue and become disappointed that they didn't get an evolution of Shenmue? Because I feel that's where the bulk of disappointment with it comes from. But mostly story and character related. Some of which I would agree with...I've said it since I finished the game...its issues boil down to lack of character development and story progression for me.

But in terms of actual game design? I still think that the game design is exactly what Shenmue always was. I remain impressed they got as close as they did. Now if only they could work on the story issues and such.

I still think this game was always in that sticky situation of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" though. I don't think it really mattered what they did. Something wouldn't have met the fans high standards and expectations no matter what it did.

Last edited:
Looking at stuff the NPCs had a ton of functions that I've never seen in the game (I can't remember if I saw them opening and closing doors), but there's stuff for grabbing and letting go objects, makes me want to know what are all the exposed animator parameters, any idea what they are ?

Looking at stuff the NPCs had a ton of functions that I've never seen in the game (I can't remember if I saw them opening and closing doors), but there's stuff for grabbing and letting go objects, makes me want to know what are all the exposed animator parameters, any idea what they are ?

What? Of course NPCs open and close doors on their own. You can see it all the time, people go in the arcades, the hotel for example in Niaowu. Of course there's stuff for grabbing objects, it's a Shenmue game, it needs FK & IK (forward and inverse kinematics).

Ren and Shenhua also wave to you.

I'd argue they did come close to Shenmue. I'd argue the design is Shenmue through and through. Story, presentation and character issues aside...I still feel like the game design was pure Shenmue.

The real question to me is did some people expect more and come to feel disappointed by the little they got or did people grow up and move on from Shenmue and become disappointed that they didn't get an evolution of Shenmue? Because I feel that's where the bulk of disappointment with it comes from. But that's all story and character related.

But in terms of actual game design. I still think, story and character issues aside, that the game design is exactly what Shenmue always was. I remain impressed they got as close as they did.
Yeah if t comes down to mechanics the argument that it isn't close to Shenmue as a game seems odd... Shenmue III is functionally nearly exact to what Shenmue 1 and 2 were and they even added to them, I understand these additions are divisive, but they still did. I also agree, story and character development was where Shenmue 3 was considerably lacking, they only had enough resources to fully back story or gameplay, if they'd decided to make Shenmue 3 purely story focused it wouldn't have resembled a Shenmue game at all, it'd be more like Telltale presents Shenmue. Shenmue 4 needs a good balance, like Shenmue 1 and 2.

Now I can remember the arcade in Niaowu lol
But honestly I don't think I've seen NPCs grabbing and letting go objects (the old woman with the frying pan maybe ?)

I'm not battling you man, I don't know why you say that.
I'm just asking because I'd like to know, I totally forgot about those big doors in Niaowu, I ask about the attaching method because I'm also a gamedev and it's a pain in the ass to animate characters with objects that aren't rigged/part of the hierarchy and it's a nice info. The difference between letting to an object and not is that, it's easier to use an animation event at the end of the cycle and deactivate the object, than having to attach it and deattach it every time (but it's better).
I like to know those little things that make the game cool.
I was looking to see if the cooking lady grabbed the pan or it was baked into the animation and found this:
Which seems to point that the sausages movement was animated.
Even when saying that getting "greenlight" to make a console game doesn't require "hundreds of thousands of dollars" you took it as a comment to you when it was aimed at another user.
Not everything is a fight.

Even when saying that getting "greenlight" to make a console game doesn't require "hundreds of thousands of dollars" you took it as a comment to you when it was aimed at another user.

It's not about getting approval to start developing games, nobody said that. It's about the entire process.

Making a game as big as Shenmue does require a lot of money, though. Which is what I was saying.

I'm not battling you man, I don't know why you say that.
I'm just asking because I'd like to know, I totally forgot about those big doors in Niaowu, I ask about the attaching method because I'm also a gamedev and it's a pain in the ass to animate characters with objects that aren't rigged/part of the hierarchy and it's a nice info. The difference between letting to an object and not is that, it's easier to use an animation event at the end of the cycle and deactivate the object, than having to attach it and deattach it every time (but it's better).
I like to know those little things that make the game cool.
I was looking to see if the cooking lady grabbed the pan or it was baked into the animation and found this:
Which seems to point that the sausages movement was animated.

I didn't say that FK/IK was used on the sausages, so again I don't understand your point?

Dude chill, I didn't say you said that nowhere remotely, really you are persecuting yourself with nothing.
I just saw that there was an implementation for grabbing and leaving objects for NPCs and I tried to remember at which times were used (I honestly forgot about closing and opening doors, in my mind there weren't that many doors in S3).
I find it cool to talk about the different approaches to design people do, it's not an attack on anybody.

I empathise with the point being made earlier about having too much in a day to actually do. I was meant to do the dishes 18 hours ago and I still haven't got round to it because having to get gold medals on all extreme tracks in Trials Evolution can kiss my abominable ball bag.

Is there a reason there aren’t many doors in the game? Genuine question.

But it was, you quoted me on it and were replying to me.. you should really check your post.

I appreciate you want to know more, I'm more than happy to help you in looking for things you're interested in, either in the Shenmue reversing discord or in an another thread. I'm just not sure this is the right place for it, is all :D

Back