Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive For PC Version! Part 2

I do wonder why they insist on doing story trailer after story trailer. Regardless of what we think, showing the up close models/faces of characters is a terrible decision based on the public's reaction. Show gameplay (combat, shopping, minigames), make it look fun to play. Convince people that haven't played Shenmue to jump in. This is why the Walmart "trailer" was better.

I know we are probably getting gameplay impressions/video tomorrow, but they would've softened the EGS blow if they got people to say, "wow, it does look really fun though."

I don't particularly feel the need to justify myself to any of you, but I've felt for along time this community is it's own worst enemy considering how quickly it'll start throwing the series and even in some cases its creator under the bus when things don't go perfectly.

For all the good times had in this community, it's overwhelmingly become a huge regret that I spent four years observing patterns of behaviour that would eventually blow up when something like this happens. I could have been perfectly content to sit on my hands and just wait for this game, alone. I should have. I really, really should have.

For what little it's worth I've always appreciated your calm and rational insight Spaghetti. Personally I am fine with criticism in fact I encourage it because it shows how much people care. I can understand why people yesterday were upset and their complaints were their own form of grieving for feeling personally betrayed. Not to mention all the missteps that have occurred along the way with this Kickstarter.

However there is a point where it goes too far. I don't care how you feel there is no justification for violence whatsoever especially over a fucking game. I went against my better judgment and thought this fanbase was more mature. However if these threats of violence are true then there's really no difference between this fandom and any other. I was a Shenmue fan long before I met anyone else and perhaps it was better that way.

I will be enjoying Shenmue 3 and hope for a Shenmue IV/V.

About the topic, trailer looks good in general. The cartoonish style doesn’t bother me at all. I hope they work hard on lip sync and NPC expressions in the next months.

About EGS, I’m a console gamer and I’ll not be affected, so my opinion is not relevant. Legally, if the Kickstarter campaign says “PC”, then everyone agreed to receive the game in the store that YuNet selected. The Slacker Backer campaign is a diferent case, especially who "bought" the game after any mention to a Steam copy. I'm still watching and forming an opinion of this situation.

Last edited:
I do wonder why they insist on doing story trailer after story trailer. Regardless of what we think, showing the up close models/faces of characters is a terrible decision based on the public's reaction. Show gameplay (combat, shopping, minigames), make it look fun to play. Convince people that haven't played Shenmue to jump in. This is why the Walmart "trailer" was better.

I know we are probably getting gameplay impressions/video tomorrow, but they would've softened the EGS blow if they got people to say, "wow, it does look really fun though."
This is precisely my issue.

All of their marketing has been piss poor and tone deaf.

It's great there are articles for people invested in Shenmue that explain gameplay systems, etc., but most people aren't seeing or reading these things. They see a clumsy looking game that's had years of horrible marketing clouded their perception. I look at Shenmue like my child. I can overlook my child's flaws, but strangers can't. They don't care. I don't think it's surprising the 'majority' of gamers who come into Shenmue 3 blind think it looks bad. It isn't being presented well, and I think that is just undeniable at this point. People have no idea what they're looking at. It's Deep Silver's job at this point to correct this.

Releasing trailer after trailer of odd looking NPCs, barren towns and no gameplay really isn't much of a strategy. The game is supposedly 'open world' and 'epic.' Show that off. People will overlook the flawed characters so long as they don't continue zooming in on their faces and focusing on them!

Yeah, the funny thing is years ago, I was ecstatic that SEGA had no part to play in this game, but now, I desperately wish they had came back in from a marketing standpoint. I get it, don't look a gifthorse in the mouth, the game wouldn't have even been made had SEGA not agreed to let Yu have the IP for this game, but to say Awesome Japan should never be hired by anyone to market a game is an understatement.

People need to mellow out.
I kinda understand the anger to a degree, but I don't know why everyone doesn't have the patience to wait for an official response or the gameplay promo tomorrow.

we went from zero to flinging shit at the walls in .00005 seconds real quick.

... and just as their attitude is of never letting this go for all eternity, mines is now equally matched by how sad and disappointed I am by the Shenmue fanbase. I used to genuinely believe we were some of the best fans in the world, but the past 24 hours have changed that, and for the rest of my life, that will never change.

As a few others are on here I’m not a PC gamer, although I do understand the frustration and anger of the backers. I must say though it’s so so worrying to see the sheer amount of people demanding a refund and saying how Yu Suzuki has let them down, someone even described the Shenmue community as cancerous with how they have reacted. I just can’t help but be worried, after all the years and months of excitement since the first announcement. Genuinely makes me sad. ??‍♂️

Shenmue 3 will be released on Steam in the future.
Physical PC copies will come with a code for the Epic Games Store.

Source: https://shenmue3.deepsilver.com/en.html FAQ Section

U7vJWN2.png

... and just as their attitude is of never letting this go for all eternity, mines is now equally matched by how sad and disappointed I am by the Shenmue fanbase. I used to genuinely believe we were some of the best fans in the world, but the past 24 hours have changed that, and for the rest of my life, that will never change.

Honestly, I think they fucked up big time though. Even thought part of the community is overreacting... that was dumb to fuck up with the people who worked their ass out to make the campaign a success. Because yeah, Awesome Japan was a disaster with those amateur collage with Papyrus fonts. Communication was often difficult. The gaming press worked against us for a long time. Not everyone shared our excitement when screenshots were shown (and that's a delicate way to put it).

The way that announcement was amateurish at best. That's to put it politely. And Deep Silver should've known better have the Metro Exodus shitstorm. They fucked up big time too. This deal should've been going with these 2 options:
  1. Keep their promise to deliver what backers paid for or grant a refund.
  2. Give an EGS key at launch but deliver a Steam key a year later or grand a refund.
This deal should've been going up with a QA explaining the following:
  1. Why the exclusivity deal has been done
  2. What the money will be used for
  3. How long the exclusivity deal is going to last
  4. What's happening for backers
As a backer, even if I'm waiting for a Steam copy, I'm still getting half fucked because I noticed the following: I wont be getting the DLCs I paid for on my platform of choice.

But as a whole, it's infuriating that the people running this campaign and marketing are working against the community. It doesn't take a genius in marketing to at least prepare for that. And Deep Silver knew.

Shenmue III and Yu Suzuki don't deserve this :/

Shenmue 3 will be released on Steam in the future.

Source: https://shenmue3.deepsilver.com/en.html FAQ Section

U7vJWN2.png

Right, but it doesn't fix the situation for us, backers.

Yeah, the funny thing is years ago, I was ecstatic that SEGA had no part to play in this game, but now, I desperately wish they had came back in from a marketing standpoint. I get it, don't look a gifthorse in the mouth, the game wouldn't have even been made had SEGA not agreed to let Yu have the IP for this game, but to say Awesome Japan should never be hired by anyone to market a game is an understatement.

My sentiments exactly. We've come so far yet in a way we're still in the same boat. I plead that Sega will once again #saveshenmue

I don't like doing finger pointing for this whole fiasco but in a perfect world, Shenmue III would've came out about last year with them giving the Dragon Engine to Yu Suzuki. But for whatever reason, Sega's gonna Sega.

Quick Q? - Does this mean I am still getting a Phsyical Edition (with Disc) & a code or is the PC phsyical Edition being replaced by an Epic Code entirely? - I'm assuming the later...

It means you're getting a disc that contains few data and a code inside to activate your game on Epic Store.

But the content on the Disc is dependant on running through Epic - The Disc acting as an install, but to run the game I have to use Epic?

But the content on the Disc is dependant on running through Epic - The Disc acting as an install, but to run the game I have to use Epic?
Usually these physical releases for digital marektplaces don't even come with a disc. Just a little card in the box with a code on it. That being said, the Epic Games Store doesn't actually have any system for activating keys, so unless that changes by November, I'm not sure exactly how this is going to work.

it wouldnt surprise me if there isnt even any game data on the disc, just a installer.
nowadays where you need some kind of launcher for pretty much every Pc game,
there is no disc or just a disc with a installer + code in the box and you have to download everything.

i think in the PSN store it says that you need at least 26 GB of space,
so thats impossible for one DVD and i really really really doubt that they will put 3, 4, 5 DVDs in there.
nobody does this anymore besides a company like Rockstar for GTA 5.

Honestly, I think they fucked up big time though. Even thought part of the community is overreacting... that was dumb to fuck up with the people who worked their ass out to make the campaign a success. Because yeah, Awesome Japan was a disaster with those amateur collage with Papyrus fonts. Communication was often difficult. The gaming press worked against us for a long time. Not everyone shared our excitement when screenshots were shown (and that's a delicate way to put it).

The way that announcement was amateurish at best. That's to put it politely. And Deep Silver should've known better have the Metro Exodus shitstorm. They fucked up big time too. This deal should've been going with these 2 options:
  1. Keep their promise to deliver what backers paid for or grant a refund.
  2. Give an EGS key at launch but deliver a Steam key a year later or grand a refund.
This deal should've been going up with a QA explaining the following:
  1. Why the exclusivity deal has been done
  2. What the money will be used for
  3. How long the exclusivity deal is going to last
  4. What's happening for backers
As a backer, even if I'm waiting for a Steam copy, I'm still getting half fucked because I noticed the following: I wont be getting the DLCs I paid for on my platform of choice.

But as a whole, it's infuriating that the people running this campaign and marketing are working against the community. It doesn't take a genius in marketing to at least prepare for that. And Deep Silver knew.

Shenmue III and Yu Suzuki don't deserve this :/

Right, but it doesn't fix the situation for us, backers.

Yea I didn't read that to be honest. Anyone can dress it up as much as they want, and whilst I completely understand the criticism and genuine grievance of it all, it's how it was all conducted that has tarnished the reputation of so called "fans" for good. The venom, toxicity and uncontrollable concoction of fan comments would be something I would think was reserved for reacting to a mass genocide or catastrophe. Just as there's no taking back the Epic decision or how it was conducted, the 24 hour reaction cannot be taken back. It's one of the most saddening things I've been unlucky to bear witness to in gaming.

Back