Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive For PC Version! Part 2

Still can't blame AJ, neither Deep Silver, YSnet or Epic.

People are just too sensitive for nothing. Zero tolerance. You make ONE thing wrong and you get all the backlash. And the phenomenon is random. You can say "one-year delay", nobody will complain. But if you're saying "another launcher" then BOOM. Nowadays, you must have psychic powers to predict the audience reaction. And when you're not backed by a top console manufacturer or publisher, the task becomes even harder...

You do not need psychic powers to know there will be a backlash over being exclusive to a generally disliked store that's only very recently been in trouble for being literal spyware, especially when the last game they made exclusive to said store also faced a backlash.

And no, it's not "just another launcher".

People need to give deep silver and Suzuki some time now. They already know people are upset, and they probably will do something about it as stated by Ali Novin.
All the name calling, scam insinuation and piracy encouragement simply shows how imature so many people are.

Welcome to planet earth. Where peole trhrow rocks first and think about the situation after.
But honestly it's all kind of irrelevant.
We're going to get the game, and hopefully it will be good. That's all I care.

Welcome to planet Earth, where contracts mean something and you can't just rip them up on a whim, in the name of "doing something."

The game will be on Epic store exclusively for at least a year, there's no getting away from that without a massive, unwinnable lawsuit. They've fucked up massively and there's no undoing it.

In an interview today with Ys Net's Yu Suzuki and publisher Deep Silver, we asked about the decision to make the game an Epic exclusive, and for clarity on whether backers would be able to get Steam keys or receive refunds.

Ys Net said that partnering with Epic was a joint decision with Deep Silver, and the publisher added that "the game is made in Unreal Engine 4, and Epic has been giving great support. So we just made a decision together to say that this is the best PC platform to be on."

We asked whether Kickstarter backers would still be able to get a Steam key at launch.

"What we can say, basically, is that in a year's time, it may be available on another platform, but it's going to be with Epic for a year," a Deep Silver PR rep told us. "This is going to help with the development of Shenmue and ensure it's going to be the best Shenmue in over a decade."

When we asked about backer refunds, Deep Silver PR said, "I know at the moment [Deep Silver is] listening to what the Kickstarter community is saying and looking into it. They hear what people are saying, and they're looking into it."

refunds would be a start.

Letting backers be given steam codes exclusively till contracts are up would do better damage control.

Being transparent on the developmental benefits and not financial incentives will be the best bold move tho.

refunds would be a start.

Letting backers be given steam codes exclusively till contracts are up would do better damage control.

Being transparent on the developmental benefits and not financial incentives will be the best bold move tho.

I see three options personnally:

1. Give backers Steam keys on launch date. If they cant:
  2. Give backers EGS keys at launch, then Steam keys after exclusivity is over. If they cant:
  3. Allow for refund.

1st one would be the best.

Let's hope if they do grant refunds that the Epic contract was lucrative enough to make up for it. You just know plenty of people that jumped into the Kickstarter because of the hype train but unrealistically expected a AAA-level game will use this opportunity to back out.

"This is going to help with the development of Shenmue and ensure it's going to be the best Shenmue in over a decade."
Well, it's the only one in over a decade isn't it? Funny statement.
Anyway, they should honor the Steam codes or give a refund.

Let's hope if they do grant refunds that the Epic contract was lucrative enough to make up for it. You just know plenty of people that jumped into the Kickstarter because of the hype train but unrealistically expected a AAA-level game will use this opportunity to back out.

Honestly, I don't think people wish to refund. It's a solution that makes no one happy.

Refunds would surely seriously fuck up YSNet's finances? That money isn't going to come from some magic money tree in Deep Silver's office.

Plus, how will they stop people who actually couldn't care less - some of which probably actually selected a PS4 version and will now change their platform choice - from jumping on the bandwagon to get a refund, just because they don't care about the rewards any more and fancy getting their money back?

so there will be probably no Steam keys at all at launch. for nobody.
maybe a refund is possible but then you wont receive any Kickstarter rewards.
and then there is the question if this does affect anyone or anything at YS Net or Deep Silver
or did Epic pay such a load of cash that the KS refunds dont matter

On the one hand, I'm definitely miffed. On the other, we're finally getting Shenmue III.

Anyone else remember when Shenmue II was about to launch for the Dreamcast, and somewhere within 4-6 weeks prior, they announced it was instead going exclusively to the Xbox in North America? There were already banner ads for the game on GameFAQs and other sites, and it was to be the swan song for the Dreamcast. Now THAT was painful.

In hindsight, it wasn't a bad thing, because it did make sure we received an English dub that we otherwise would likely have not, but I digress!

Point is, it was poorly handled, people are justifiably angry, and all the same, really not the end of the world. Enjoy Shenmue III on Epic or give it another year to hit Steam, just don't let yourself miss out on 20 years of waiting and fighting for III because of a boneheaded publishing decision!

I see three options personnally:

2. Give backers EGS keys at launch, then Steam keys after exclusivity is over. If they cant:
  3. Allow for refund.
1st one would be the best.

I would tweak it slightly and propose a choice between the following:
    Either:
  2. Give backers EGS keys at launch, then Steam keys after exclusivity is over
  3. Give backers EGS keys at launch, with a free season pass
That way refunds are off the table, yet backers are still happy.

I would tweak it slightly and propose a choice between the following:

1. Give backers Steam keys on launch date.
  2. Give backers EGS keys at launch, then Steam keys after exclusivity is over
  3. Give backers EGS keys at launch, with a free season pass
That way refunds are off the table, and backers are still happy.

Honestly, as a backer, 3rd one doesn't really satisfy me.
The worst thing here with that deal is that, for previous kickstarters, Epic was more generous toward backers.

For Phoenix Point, they were promised all DLCs for free and the choice either of Epic key, a Steam key/GoG key a year later, or a refund.

For Rune II, people are given an EGS key at launch then Steam keys after exclusivity.

But here ? Not a single compensation or choice, except "Deal with it".

I really hope Deep Silver is indeed listening and will sort it out...

I don't think giving backers two sets of keys would hurt them that greatly financially, and it'd be an easy semi-win (obviously not a total one but still better than nothing).

Honestly, as a backer, 3rd one doesn't really satisfy me.
The worst thing here with that deal is that, for previous kickstarters, Epic was more generous toward backers.

For Phoenix Point, they were promised all DLCs for free and the choice either of Epic key, a Steam key/GoG key a year later, or a refund.

For Rune II, people are given an EGS key at launch then Steam keys after exclusivity.

But here ? Not a single compensation or choice, except "Deal with it".

I really hope Deep Silver is indeed listening and will sort it out...

That Phoenix Point deal doesn't sound so bad.

I don't think giving backers two sets of keys would hurt them that greatly financially, and it'd be an easy semi-win (obviously not a total one but still better than nothing).

I mean, generating keys is free. And backers already paid the game. Financially, it'd cost them litterally 0 dollars (Except if you count it as a "lost sale". But then that'd be greedy as fuck because that'd mean you'd count on backers to double dip).

If refunds come to fruition, Epic will eat the cost. They have no qualms throwing their cash around.

Yeah, curious to see how all of this will evolve.

Back