Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Well...I made the mistake of outlining the problems with boycotting an entire publisher on a certain popular forum; how it punishes those who have absolutely nothing to do with the issue, including passionate developers from other companies...and I won't make the mistake of going against that particular hivemind ever again. Jesus. I was dogpiled and painted as an evil sympathiser within minutes, for what I considered to be a pretty vanilla, moderate opinion.

I'm not trying to bring up the specific "incident" again by the way, so please don't take this as an opportunity to do so -- I'm just venting. I enjoyed that forum fine until today.

I honestly couldn't care what anyone else thinks....I really don't care. This is not a vent at that forum...even though I have been reading that forum today and just rolling my eyes at some of the crap posted over in that Shenmue thread...this is just a vent in general.

This is actually why I don't like dealing with a lot of "communities." Too much cynicism, too much ass kissing, too much negativity to deal with. I read that forum (again, I'm not bringing this up to slag them mods and this kind of has something to do with Shenmue III, this isn't just a derail post...I apologize in advance) and while some complaints over there are valid, there is also just that air of cynicism for the sake of cynicism.

I think this is the reason I stay away from "communities" at large. That's why I hesitated joining this forum for so long even though I've lurked it for many years (not an insult to anyone here but hopefully you get what I mean.) Because there is so much of it that is "follow the leader" or "follow group think" in most communities that it is just overbearing at times to get caught up in.

It just gets tiring as a whole. Again, this not fanboyism (I will gladly admit if the game is a dud on arrival and be the first to say it out loud...very sadly if that be the case, but I don't think it will be a dud) but sometimes, I just don't see the point of wasting time whining and complaining about something that we don't even know enough about yet. I think this is what drove me away from communities for a long time...because it just got so tiring to deal with the overbearing cynicism that comes from most of them.

For all I care, I'm still stoked as hell that we're even getting this game...after near 20 years of waiting, I still want it. I'm still stoked as all hell and just clamoring for more info...screw the cynicism of the haters.

Anyways, I don't wish to derail...that's just my feeling on "communities" more so than anything.

Damn, this week is going to feel like the longest week ever. I think I'm even more hyped for this trailer than I was for Gamescom 2018. I think this trailer will be the one that silences the doubters, to a certain degree. Of course cynical haters will always find something to beat Shenmue and its fans with, but what I mean is I think this trailer will be the one to convince people with genuine doubts that yes, the game is coming out in August and yes, it finally looks like a damn good game.

Damn, this week is going to feel like the longest week ever. I think I'm even more hyped for this trailer than I was for Gamescom 2018. I think this trailer will be the one that silences the doubters, to a certain degree. Of course cynical haters will always find something to beat Shenmue and its fans with, but what I mean is I think this trailer will be the one to convince people with genuine doubts that yes, the game is coming out in August and yes, it finally looks like a damn good game.

I hope so. I really hope so. Just show me something more substansial than another tease and that will go a long way to allieviate the few doubts I have.

I just finished reading a rather interesting article regarding the upcoming crowd-funded platformer, Psychonauts 2. The game had raised approximately $4 million through crowdfunding, while the publisher Starbreeze picked up the remaining costs, providing an additional $8 million of funding.

If a rather modest publisher like Starbreeze is able to provide such a substantial amount of capital, it makes me wonder what amount a much larger Deep Silver has committed towards Shenmue 3. Surely Yu Suzuki shopped various publishers in search of the greatest deal - and so perhaps the amount of funding provided by Deep Silver is greater than any of us realize.

Definitely. It ideally does need to be something more substantial this time.
It's difficult for the team I think because they also don't to give too much away.

I'd like to see some fighting in the trailer and a decent amount of gameplay. English voices in the trailer would be intriguing.

I'm more hyped than I've ever been for Shenmue III, except from the reveal, which was fever-dream levels of excitement. I don't think I'll feel that again until the moment the disc is sitting inside my PS4 ready to be played.

But as far as the build up to release goes, this is the first time I've felt that what we'll be seeing in a week will be representative of the final product, and not some early, unfinished thing.

i'm hyped too and i really hope they can deliever.
a lot of people will be happy if it really is some kind of real 3+ minute trailer
with the improvements we saw in the latest screenshots and new gameplay scenes.

if it is some kind of "still in progress" trailer with just some 2 second gameplay snippets here and there
and missing effects or old faces etc
the whole "this project is doomed" discussion will start again.

So I've been thinking about how waiting should work in Shenmue III, I know some are against the press button to wait option entirely but I think it is kinda required for most newcomers or people who disliked the first games that want to try the game out still.

So, I have 2 main ideas.

1. Benches and books. Just place benches around the world that Ryo can sit on and read books that help his martial arts stats. Like in Fallout 3 & 4 allow the user to set how many hours that Ryo will sit. Unlike Fallout, which just skips to the time set immediately, in Shenmue III there should be a time lapse showing Ryo reading, standing up to stretch, sitting back down, showing other random NPCs sitting down beside him and them talking to each other. I think the amount of time to wait in this method should be limited to 6 hours in game time, and should have 2 options "Wait until next objective" and "Set amount of time"

2. Just allow Ryo to go back to whatever room he is staying in at the time and sleep/nap for however long he wants, as well as have the option to wait until next objective. If there are multiple objectives and he oversleeps and misses the deadline for a main one, just reset the game to before he overslept. Also have several unmentioned deadlines where you can complete objective alternatively, so if it doesnt reset you back you know you can still do what you need to some other way.

This is in addition to all the mini games, training, job distractions.

Last edited:
1. Benches and books. Just place benches around the world that Ryo can sit on and read books that help his martial arts stats. Like in Fallout 3 & 4 allow the user to set how many hours that Ryo will sit. Unlike Fallout, which just skips to the time set immediately, in Shenmue III there should be a time lapse showing Ryo reading, standing up to stretch, sitting back down, showing other random NPCs sitting down beside him and them talking to each other. I think the amount of time to wait in this method should be limited to 6 hours in game time, and should have 2 options "Wait until next objective" and "Set amount of time"

Rather than overcomplicate it like this, have it be a fixed two hours like the Chawan signs.

You can always just sit down again if you need another two hours.

So I've been thinking about how waiting should work in Shenmue III, I know some are against the press button to wait option entirely but I think it is kinda required for most newcomers or people who disliked the first games that want to try the game out still.

So, I have 2 main ideas.

2. Just allow Ryo to go back to whatever room he is staying in at the time and sleep/nap for however long he wants, as well as have the option to wait until next objective. If there are multiple objectives and he oversleeps and misses the deadline for a main one, just reset the game to before he overslept. Also have several unmentioned deadlines where you can complete objective alternatively, so if it doesnt reset you back you know you can still do what you need to some other way.

This is in addition to all the mini games, training, job distractions.

Good suggestions, and what do you think about also having certain “time flies” activities, like training, mini games, arcade, etc, where the time speeds up the more you’re “in the zone” or progressing during those activities?

Last edited:
I appreciate those suggestions, but feel it sounds a bit too 'game-y' to me. I would personally prefer what it was like in Shenmue 2, with 'wait' options being limited to certain scenarios.

Last edited:
Good suggestions, and what do you think about also having certain “time flies” activities, like training, mini games, arcade, etc, where the time speeds up the more you’re “in the zone” or progressing during those activities?

I don't think this would work out too well, it seems hard to be balanced and too easy to get in the way, say you're doing a mini game or you're training and you randomly get a "times fly" and you're locked out of some event. I think it's necessarily that there will be no random elements to time progression. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

I don't think this is what you mean but if you're talking about Ryo randomly doing activities when you he waits, I feel those sorts of activities should have user engagement and not be passive. That would make things like training useless if you can just go to a rest spot and get the same benefits without doing the necessary rhythm/time based mini games that go along with them.

I think S2 time skip feature for main story beats are good enuf. I think other time-sensitive side content should be kept as an eye candy reward for those who put in the time effort to discover them.(IE-Festivals/holidays/birthdays-etc.)

Massively disagree. I don't think Ryo just standing around doing nothing at all, while the day and night passes around him is acceptable anymore to be honest. If there is a wait feature it needs to evolve and be more immersive. I'd actually prefer no time skip at all over Ryo just standing idle all day.

Changing outfit was known since the kickstarter. May I recall you everyone that we're supposed to receive a Kickstarter exclusive ingame jacket for those who backed the Collector Edition (250 dollars and beyond) ?

I don't think this would work out too well, it seems hard to be balanced and too easy to get in the way, say you're doing a mini game or you're training and you randomly get a "times fly" and you're locked out of some event. I think it's necessarily that there will be no random elements to time progression. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

I don't think this is what you mean but if you're talking about Ryo randomly doing activities when you he waits, I feel those sorts of activities should have user engagement and not be passive. That would make things like training useless if you can just go to a rest spot and get the same benefits without doing the necessary rhythm/time based mini games that go along with them.

Massively disagree. I don't think Ryo just standing around doing nothing at all, while the day and night passes around him is acceptable anymore to be honest. If there is a wait feature it needs to evolve and be more immersive. I'd actually prefer no time skip at all over Ryo just standing idle all day.

Good points, what do you think of “Quicker Time Events” to make the time go by quicker? These QTE’s may happen at certain locations or during certain activities without affecting the standard gameplay. Imagine if there are QTE Timex mini games like Ryo adjusting his watch’s time to fast forward also in game if completed correctly.

Last edited:
Back