Shenmue 3 Gamescom Trailer & Release Date! [KS Update 90]

Sounds like kids who have no idea what PS2 games actually looked like. Or Xbox trolls who are bitter.

I never know which it is. One user actually said the God of War 2 graphics are better.

I mean it's just objectively false, regardless of the fact the animations/graphics in this new trailer are not quite there yet.

I am so impressed how beautiful everything looks in the game. I think thats the Sage Master from Naquan that Yu talked about.

Watched it in the embedded window and thought, "Hmm..." Then watched it full screen and WOW, did Shenhua ever look TONS better once maximised.

Also love that all of the locations were brand new, save for the cave; this will definitely be a continuation and the story will indeed progress, that's all that matters to me!

I let out a loud yelp and cheer at work too, once I saw the release date lol.

L
For anyone who already wants a full listen to the orchestra music at the end of the trailer, this is what plays in there.

Interesting story how I got that. I got a copyright claim on the music in the trailer very shortly after uploading it myself to spread its greatnes. Details lead to this, Jibby helped in finding that video though. I just find it very noteworthy that this isn't music from the game apparently. It sounds sooo Shenmue, it's no wonder they used this and nobody suspected anything. Except for those nasty algorythms of course.

Good spot! I wonder whether with the increased budget they will be able to hire an orchestra at all for some of the music in Shenmue III?

Wow! I think it's beautiful. I like the slightly ominous feeling of how it starts off. It gives a lot of weight to Shenhua's prophetic poem.

That's more a criticism of the story itself rather than the trailer.

The scene lacks a lot of context. Who knows why they're in that room or what the situation is? There are so many different ways for the story to arrive at that scenario so I don't think it's fair to judge the encounter based on a few seconds of it from the trailer.

For me it's exclusively a critique of the trailer. The way the story in Shenmue I and II was told is that Ryo is in persuit of Lan Di and on his way to accomplish that he may strave away from that but we don't know that as of right now. How we as fans benefit from seeing them meet in a trailer is beyond me.

Other than the facial animations and some lighting issues, particularly with the old man, it looks great! A year from now, things will be different for the better.

Shenhua’s new voice sounds more mature than Hazuki Ishigaki, who had a much higher voice. But I can dig it. I hope they can bring back Toshihiko Sakurai as Lan Di.

But I hope we can get news of Shenmue 4 soon lol

Other than the facial animations and some lighting issues, particularly with the old man, it looks great! A year from now, things will be different for the better.
I think the environment is amazing, graphics are pretty good, Ryo's face is wide though, Lan Di looks okay a little off, the old man has some lighting issues as you mentioned.

Overall, I'm really happy though, I hope the game is long and has a great story... graphics are one thing, game play and story is another.

Wait... so we are going to have Ryo AND Lan Di in the same room IN THIS GAME??? They really dropped that bomb right at the end of the trailer. HYPE!

Wait... so we are going to have Ryo AND Lan Di in the same room IN THIS GAME??? They really dropped that bomb right at the end of the trailer. HYPE!
Yes my jaw dropped when that happened, wasn't expecting that. I still can't believe how good Shenhua looks, very close to her artwork image.

I feel totally drained.. Wow, this has been a hell of day! The game looks absolutely incredible. The environments look fantastic! Lan Di. Get hype. Ren. Get hype.

I mean not many years ago, we had NOTHING, barely any hope. Today, August 21st 2018 we got this:
  • Shenmue III gets a release date
  • Shenmue III gets a great trailer
  • Shenmue I & II are officially re-released for modern consoles.
I'm just floored.
August 21 is officially Shenmue Day in my book. Marking my calendar for the future RIGHT NOW.

Good spot! I wonder whether with the increased budget they will be able to hire an orchestra at all for some of the music in Shenmue III?
I was thinking about the orchestral score for III myself. This is obviously something that requires a pretty hefty amount of money.
Toyed with the idea that they could possibly license music like in that video for the game itself. But that would of course not be unique enough. And after all trailer music is trailer music and often not related to the OST at all.

Once thing to keep in mind is that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of overall music produced and what they used in the games so far. They can just pick these out. Don't know how much of it is big music but the orchestral OST at least has some things to still be used in the games. Even if they have been heard for 20 years I'd still go crazy over them in an epic scene in the game. Heck, Shenmue really only need its two main themes as orchestral pieces and I'm happy even if the series is up to Shenmue XIII

Back