Shenmue 3 Streetdate Broken

Well, I wonder for what kind of fan they did the game then, indication to show what you can interact with, npc name on hud, bland free camera, Im sorry but this feel more like shenmue for casual to me.

What you described is mostly regarded as enhancements. You might not like all of the changes but there is no way they'd let the new games have the same bad controls as the first two. And why wouldn't you want a free camera whilst walking? When I played the demo it felt like Shenmue on steroids. Most of these changes are really good. Although I agree there should be an option for interaction-indicators.

The biggest problem with the hotspots is that is just Ugly UI.
I get it the necessity of it in the open world to grab flowers, but in indoor areas is just too obtrusive.
I really dislike the open world decreasing stamina bar also.

Whilst Patient Wolf’s video did a good job explaining the story, it’s way too long for casual gamers or people who are unfamiliar with the series to sit through (owing to the fact that it covers each and every minute detail).

I think the pacing of the official recap video is much better. As for the mystical elements of the story...
the sword, although still mentioned in the letter from Shenhua’s father, seems to have been removed from the rebuilt intro sequence in the cave which suggests to me that Yu Suzuki is having second thoughts about having had a magical floating sword at the end of the game. The original games didn’t do a very good job of explaining these elements of the story anyway.

[/SPOILER]
Yeah. I know he made a movie wich was kinda slow, and i recon you are right that it would be to long and detailed.

But he allso hits the right spors allso :

-he talks alot about destiny
-he talks of prophesy
-he slowly builds up the meeting of ryo and Shenhua
-he talks alot about people trying to change ryos thinking.

I have showed the Patient Wolf clip to two persons with no connection to shenmue and both have said they understand why im so excited for this game.

The recap movie with "Row Hazuki" did not excite me at all. When i saw it, i was thinking it was just a rushed movie based of my favorite book.

[/SPOILER]
[/SPOILER]

I think that’s what they’re going for. Casuals aren’t going to sit through an hourlong recap. Fans already know the story.

What you described is mostly regarded as enhancements. You might not like all of the changes but there is no way they'd let the new games have the same bad controls as the first two. And why wouldn't you want a free camera whilst walking? When I played the demo it felt like Shenmue on steroids. Most of these changes are really good. Although I agree there should be an option for interaction-indicators.
I never see the camera mentionned when someone talk about bad control of 1&2, I think most player don't use the camera that much in them because the dreamcast or xbox stick can't be used well when the dpad is.
The bad controle come from ryo motion which would have been way better with analog directions (even with straight down still being a 180°) and speed (from just rotate like when holding B to walk, and still keeping a trigger to run).

The camera from 1 will always be my favorite since I play it with dual stick and use shoulder buttons instead of front buttons, it was already a downgrade in 2 with the lack of zoom to shoulder, and now it's just a bland free camera like any other game.

And honestly there's not much to remember.
Lan di killed your father for a mirror, your father killed Lan Di's father was the owner of the mirrors, you have the other mirror that wasn't stolen and you are searching for him in the place the mirrors were made.
Hell, the story can be summarized by "guy searching his father killer" and you'll be pretty much up to date.

15 minutes is honestly pushing most people’s interest. And yeah, sorry, they weren’t going to keep the controls and camera of a 20-year-old game from a console that had a controller with one analog stick. I mean I’m not surprised people are already complaining about stuff like this, but...

15 minutes is honestly pushing most people’s interest. And yeah, sorry, they weren’t going to keep the controls and camera of a 20-year-old game from a console that had a controller with one analog stick. I mean I’m not surprised people are already complaining about stuff like this, but...

That was the problem Yakuza games and their recaps had for some people. It was an overabundance of info dump. Especially if you were jumping into Yakuza 3, 4 or 5. I remember some people complaining they were too confusing at times back in the day.

But really, there isn't too much to summarise in terms of Shenmue...at least in terms of the main plot. I haven't watched the recap...I refuse to watch anything until it's on my console and ready to be played. But I don't think it needs to be too long. Just get people up to date with the story quickly and to the point.

And honestly there's not much to remember.
Lan di killed your father for a mirror, your father killed Lan Di's father was the owner of the mirrors, you have the other mirror that wasn't stolen and you are searching for him in the place the mirrors were made.
Hell, the story can be summarized by "guy searching his father killer" and you'll be pretty much up to date.
Then why have we been sitting on the Dojo for the last 15 years i wonder?

Everyone can sit through a good 15 min recap. I mean, some of yakuzas cut scenes goes on for days.

I don’t want to run damage control, and I think some of you know I’ve been critical about a ton of stuff surrounding this game so I hope you believe me, but if the biggest criticisms so far are that the game has improved controls and that Ys Net took the guesswork out of which items can be interacted with, this game is probably pretty amazing.

Last edited:
I never see the camera mentionned when someone talk about bad control of 1&2, I think most player don't use the camera that much in them because the dreamcast or xbox stick can't be used well when the dpad is.
The bad controle come from ryo motion which would have been way better with analog directions (even with straight down still being a 180°) and speed (from just rotate like when holding B to walk, and still keeping a trigger to run).

The camera from 1 will always be my favorite since I play it with dual stick and use shoulder buttons instead of front buttons, it was already a downgrade in 2 with the lack of zoom to shoulder, and now it's just a bland free camera like any other game.

Different Engine, Different Tech....that doesn't mean they made "Shenmue for casuals", it means you can't realistically expect a 1:1 recreation on a completely different engine.

I don’t want to run damage control, and I think some of you know I’ve been critical about a ton of stuff surrounding this game so I hope you believe me, but if the biggest criticisms so far are that the game has improved controls and that Ys Net tooo the guesswork out of which items can be interacted with, this game is probably pretty amazing.

Could still be patched out...I mean isn't there talk of Patch 1.04 or something? Could be apart of that...it doesn't bother me too badly...so long as the camera frame is optional in first person view, I can live with plants being marked out.

It’s meant to catch casuals up to speed, not be a Bible for hardcore Shenmue fans. If you need more context, play the ports!

Well, I wonder for what kind of fan they did the game then, indication to show what you can interact with, npc name on hud, bland free camera, Im sorry but this feel more like shenmue for casual to me.
I think the biggest issue is how ugly and invasive they are, but I don’t see it as the devs watering the game down for casuals.

There seem to be a lot of items in the game that look like they can be interacted with that can’t (I expect due to limited resources) and a lot of the herbs blend into the background and are hard to spot. I don’t think indicators are a bad idea with these things in mind, but would prefer the option to play without them or a ‘shimmer’ effect to help preserve the immersion a little better.

Different Engine, Different Tech....that doesn't mean they made "Shenmue for casuals", it means you can't realistically expect a 1:1 recreation on a completely different engine.
It was a deliberate choice and certainly not about the engine, I came close to it easily in blender game then unity when I ported my project on it, and I'm just an autodidact. But as I already said the camera was already downgraded in 2, so I didn't expected much here.

I think the biggest issue is how ugly and invasive they are, but I don’t see it as the devs watering the game down for casuals.

There seem to be a lot of items in the game that look like they can be interacted with that can’t (I expect due to limited resources) and a lot of the herbs blend into the background and are hard to spot. I don’t think indicators are a bad idea with these things in mind, but would prefer the option to play without them or a ‘shimmer’ effect to help preserve the immersion a little better.
Part of shenmue was about searching items by yourself in the environment to me and now it's markers all over the place, you won't make me think it isn't downgrade for casual, even if the dev didn't feel like it.

I stop here now since it isn't the thread for it, I go in the "pro and cons" next time.

It was a deliberate choice and certainly not about the engine, I came close to it easily in blender game then unity when I ported my project on it, and I'm just an autodidact. But as I already said the camera was already downgraded in 2, so I didn't expected much here.

Even if it is a deliberate design choice...how the hell does a free rotating camera suddenly = "Shenmue for Casuals"?

To me that's just a dumb argument in general and just sounds like nitpicking because the game isn't doing something the way it used to.

We make fun of the critics and what their reviews are gonna be like, but I actually think the hardcore fans are gonna be worse with the nitpicking.

No offence intended nor am I looking for a fight, but I don't think the camera change = Shenmue for Casuals...I think it equals "it's 2019 and we've got to modernise this in some shape or form. We can't just keep the tank controls and camera locked to the head. We do have to modernise it in some shape or form."

Considering Yu has always said that he wanted these games to be approachable for everyone then who are we to question his design choices?

As for the in game markers...I hope for an option to turn them off, but if not, it's not gonna take anything away from it for me.

What about Nightmare Difficulty mode? Could it be that everything gets turned off in Nightmare mode? (like in-game markers and such...if so, that would be interesting.)

I mean I do kind of hope for the option to turn that stuff off but again, it's not a big deal for me one way or the other really. But if everything were turned off in Nightmare difficulty then I would seriously consider playing it in that difficulty.

Last edited:
The indicators can be patched out. I suggest you urge them for an option to remove them if you feel that passionately about it.

Personally hoping they patch in:

tenor.gif

Back