Shenmue III will be "playable at E3" for press

Still feels surreal that Shenmue III is gonna be playable to so many people in roughly a month. This is gonna bring the game to a spotlight that it hasn't before. Feels so close yet so far.

It never hurts to reflect once in a while of the achievement that we have made, in spite of all the negativity that can be on the air sometimes, i'm so grateful and i say thanks to the community for never giving up on this fight and making this dream possible. We did it, people.

Let's all get excited but lets all brace for impact too. I doubt the game will be perfectly flawless and some press may want to rip the game apart for click bait at the least.
I hope we can all take these first impressions well and realize,
A) it's not finished yet.
B) it's probably way better then any game journo who played Shenmue 1 for 30 minutes back in 200X thinks it is.

Agreed on point B. I genuinely think Shenmue III will surprise people who have only been exposed to memes, "hot takes", and the worse end of Let's Plays for Shenmue out there.

Point A... I dunno. It'll still have a month and a half to go Gold, and another month remaining if they plan to do a Day One patch; but there's not going to be a huge amount we can explain away with "it's not done yet".

I guess it depends if it's marked as "WIP" like the MAGIC 2019 trailer was.

No, I am pretty sure we have seen more gameplay of Death Stranding than Shenmue 3. There was a long trailer with the character in game walking around dilvering packages and it shows many different locations of him doing it. You might say that that isnt gameplay but its you directly having control of the character, and moving him with your agency. Thats more than we have seen from Shenmue 3's actual gameplay outside of tech demos and prototypes. I dunno about anyone else but I would be estatic to see a video of Ryo just walking around an enviroment for a minute. Instead apart from cutscenes as far as actual gameplay goes, we have a short cinematic fight scene, and like 2 seconds of a mini game.

We have seen more screenshots of gameplay from Shenmue 3 than Death Stranding though, so that deserves a lot of credit. We just havent seen more in motion.

I understand your point of view. I partially agree and disagree at the same time. In terms of actual moving gameplay footage you're right. In terms of actual FREE footage, only thing I can recall we've seen is Ryo opening a cabinet door and that was like in 2016 lol. In Death Stranding's case yes you're right that there is footage of the main character walking around in-game, but we still know nothing of what the game is about. We've gotten cryptic and unclear messages at best in terms of story and concept.

Shenmue III on the other hand has a clear identity of what it is and isn't. We know exactly what we're getting more or less out of Shenmue III, the frustration is the fact we haven't seen it with our own eyes. At the end of the day I'm still cautiously skeptical that we may only get a few written reports and backstage unseen footage of the game. Won't be surprised if we don't hear anything until July/August. If anything, it may just be my old school conditioning of not to expect anything Shenmue until I see it actually happen.

Agreed on point B. I genuinely think Shenmue III will surprise people who have only been exposed to memes, "hot takes", and the worse end of Let's Plays for Shenmue out there.

Point A... I dunno. It'll still have a month and a half to go Gold, and another month remaining if they plan to do a Day One patch; but there's not going to be a huge amount we can explain away with "it's not done yet".

Indeed and with the Monaco trailer it was using a mix of older and newer assets imo.

They could use a 'newer' trailer but not quite current at E3 which would be interesting.

I imagine the final build like the originals won't be seen until right at the end, day one patch or not.

We do not know anything about the death stranding. Just a dude Walking around is no gameplay. We have no idea what genre this game will be and what to expect from it. We got far more info about Shenmue 3 then we got from Death Stranding.

Also no one should forget that we are talking about Hideo Kojima game. The guy might be just playing with the fanbase and the final game will be completly different and we have not seen aything essential. I still have no clue what Death Stranding is about.

The message of Shenmue 3 is much clearer.

hahahah "hot takes"
I know you wern't talking only about his video but that rerez video was so unfair. I'm glad they deleted it.

Last edited:

I've literally never seen "hot take:" preceding an intelligent statement. It's basically a defensive, reverse-psychology attempt to keep people attacking their massively retarded thought to a minimum.

I don’t have a dog in this fight but reading through this thread is why I am happy here at the Dojo. There’s an actual discussion going on and both sides are acting like adults. Keep on keeping on!

Looking forward to seeing the game at E3--I really have a a good bit of hope it will reveal to be substantially more evolved than we've seen, especially visually.

Why? Bloodstained came out with their release date today(just a little over a month away) and showed a DRASTICALLY improved visual aesthetic. They shut everyone up and did so very quickly with a trailer that specifically called out naysayers and doubters. I doubt Yu would be so bold(but the Dracula wine toss by Iga was great)

We've talked about not judging a games visual acuity until much closer to launch. This proves that case to me and if Yu worries about visuals last, I think everyone will be surprised come E3.

I used to do game testing back in the day for some big game companies such as Sony..
You'd be surprised how many AAA games are absolutely trash and broken just weeks before launch. I'm talking hard crashes, progression block bugs. It's an absolute joke. Even after going "gold".

I definitely always say it's not done until after release.
And then we can get into day one patches, numerous post patching. These days a game isn't really 100% all there bugs and quality wise until 6 months after release.

I can't blame them too much. Games are extremely complicated. Some need more patching then others but 99% of the time, they need patching. Simply not enough man power and time to find bugs, fix, patch and wait for Sony to approve patch and launch it. Especially in the case of Shenmue 3, I dont think they have a ton of bodies sitting and testing like other AAA games.
I fully expect bugs galore and the press eating it up for click bait like it's some shocker.
So we should all sit tight and brace for that eventuality like a guarantee.

Last edited:
I used to do game testing back in the day for some big game companies such as Sony..
You'd be surprised how many AAA games are absolutely trash and broken just weeks before launch. I'm talking hard crashes, progression block bugs. It's an absolute joke. Even after going "gold".

And then we can get into day one patches, numerous post patching. These days a game isn't really 100% all there bugs and quality wise until 6 months after release.

I can't blame them too much. Games are extremely complicated. Some need more patching then others but 99% of the time, they need patching. Simply not enough man power and time to find bugs, fix, patch and wait for Sony to approve patch and launch it. Especially in the case of Shenmue 3, I dont think they have a ton of bodies sitting and testing like other AAA games.
I fully expect bugs galore and the press eating it up for click bait like it's some shocker.
Oh, no - that's the stuff that genuinely can be explained by not being finished. I was referring more to presentational aspects, because inevitably there will still be people calling for better visuals when it's pretty obvious the scope for change is incredibly narrow.

Basically, E3 will be time for some to make peace with how the game looks.

In any case, I'm not going into E3 expecting a technical mess. Even in a worst case scenario they'll have branched off a build that gets enough attention that it doesn't burst into flames the second someone other than a developer touches it.

Full game, I dunno. We'll see when it gets here. If they've genuinely been in Beta since March or earlier though, even with modest testing resources provided by the publisher it should be okay?

I'm not holding out for a big visual improvement over the MAGIC trailer, but a few model and animation tweaks could go a long way to improve people's overall perception of the visuals, and I think that's within the realm of possibility.

As for the presses' general reactions, I'm sure they'll run the gamut, from "Shenmue III is real and it looks surprisingly good" to "Yep, this is Shenmue on a budget -- only hardcore fans will enjoy this game" to "Shenmue III looks rough, but what did you expect?".

The saving grace is that while the team is small its led by Yu Suzuki who I think runs an older methodology of quality than current companies.

I think a day one patch is likely given the size of the team and that's fine but I honestly believe they will have the game up to a good standard bugs wise by release.

You're quite right imo that the press would smash the game if it was buggy but I don't think it will be buggy like Kingdom Come for example. That had game breaking bugs from the offset and took a while to fix.

Last edited:
I hope DeepSilver bring thier A-game tho...no more WIP/BETA builds. I'm not saying they need a vertical slice but just the most honest/non-outdated & recent build. Only two major gaming tradeshows left on the horizon. They gotta put thier best foot forward this e3 and the other foot once Gamescom arrives to hype the launch date in a week.:geek:☕

I hope DeepSilver bring thier A-game tho...no more WIP/BETA builds. I'm not saying they need a vertical slice but just the most honest/non-outdated & recent build. Only two major gaming tradeshows left on the horizon. They gotta put thier best foot forward this e3 and the other foot once Gamescom arrives to hype the launch date in a week.:geek:☕
In fairness to Deep Silver, they can only work with what is provided by the developer, and it sounds like they really needed their arm twisting to allow press and public looks at the game earlier than their marketing plan dictated this year.

And in fairness to Ys Net, any build is WIP pre-release, and the way they've been working this whole time has back-loaded a lot of the visual presentation work into the final year of production. Yu said pretty constantly you couldn't judge the progress on the game by visuals alone, and he's right. That position is well justified now we know how much work as gone into the actual game design and creating a harmonious flow of mechanics.

As long as they've been preparing and planning for E3 well in advance, they should definitely be able to put the best foot forwards, as you said. By Gamescom? We'll be seeing what launches on disk, basically.

As long as Shenmue III doesn't get steamrolled with "hurr durr duke nukem forever" types of memes we should be fine. Shenmue was always a niche game anyway.

As long as Shenmue III doesn't get steamrolled with "hurr durr duke nukem forever" types of memes we should be fine. Shenmue was always a niche game anyway.

For what it's worth, I thoroughly enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever. I don't know what people were looking for, but it was exactly what I expected out of a Duke Nukem game. But I digress.

Shenmue III is produced and directed by Yu Suzuki and that fact alone puts me at ease. Sometimes it's the small things, but when the YS chime appeared on the last Shenmue trailer, my mind was put at ease. Shenmue III is an AM2 game at heart without the official logo.

Back