The Epic Games Store thread

Well apparently the new Oddworld is going to be EGS exclusive:
ECW8E9rW4AUbkph.jpg:large

Let's see if my theory of "just being honest and not being dicks" holds water or not.

Just talked to a friend of mine who is a Shenmue 3 slacker backer for the digital PS4 version and he hadn't even heard of the "Epic Scandal". Now one guy isn't representative but maybe the damage won't be as bad as we expected.

Apparently the guys making DARQ rejected the Epic exclusivity and Epic went full butthurt and denied them to publish in their store.
Developers now saying they'll donate to charity their revenue if they accept the game:
Honestly Epic sucks.
BTW no big "toxic whatever" went to the oddworld developers, seems like not being dicks and honestly actually works.

Oddworld Soulstorm is not a Kickstarter / Patreon / whatever game. so thats why you dont have any backers at all
who will be against this and theres no need for any big controvery videos.
if Shenmue 3 wouldn't be a Kickstarter game, there wouldn't be any of those
"omg they betrayed the backers" videos and none of these comments, thats why you cant compare the situation.
if you look closely what the Shenmue 3 rage videos are about, its not really about Epic,
its about "they promised backers Steam". if you look what the Ooblets controvery is about,
its not really about Epic, its about how the devs announced the deal.
three different situations about three different things. of course if people are already angry,
it doesnt help at all that Epic is involved in that. but thats just more fuel to a already burning fire.

even the Oddworld announcement has the typcial comments about pirating with hundreds of likes
but yes, of course the mood in general is better because there is no money from fans involved,
no one funded or pre ordered anything. its a 100% self funded game.

we could only compare these three things if we were able to see what would happen if the Ooblets devs
wouldnt have said anything or if Ooblets was a 100% self funded game
and the same for Shenmue 3.

Last edited:
Oh so it's not about "toxic entitled gamers" like media says, but a bunch of paying costumers not getting what they paid for in the most convenient way ?
:unsure:
Big if true.

And yet the developers behind Pathologic 2 announced their game flopped on steam and they were reduced to a Skeleton crew of four people. I'm pleased the Darq guys game is selling but let's not act like no one needs additional Epic funding if offered.

Oh so it's not about "toxic entitled gamers" like media says, but a bunch of paying costumers not getting what they paid for in the most convenient way ?
:unsure:
Big if true.

come on, do we really have to start at page one again? the paying customers for Ooblets were 1200 Patreons,
not 1,5 mil community members from the Quartering or YongYea.
please show me the comments of the 1200 Patreons and how all of them are against this deal.
where is the proof? all i'm seeing is thousands of mad people because of the dev statement.
i'm pretty sure that you know that the reasons for these outrages are about different things.
Oddworld, Ooblets and Shenmue 3 are three different scenarios. the Epic hate just comes on top of all three.

why would Oddworld get the same hate, its a self funded game.
yes, the Shenmue 3 situation would never have been like it is now if Shenmue 3 was 100% self funded
but Yu Suzuki couldnt afford it. and even if he would have been able to self fund it,
it would have been a completely different game than it is now.
i mean, even with the KS money, Suzuki said that Shenmue 3 will not be the same Shenmue experience.
Deep Silvers additional help was the reason that the game we will get in November
will be a full Shenmue experience. which brings us to the discussion if we only want what we payed for
and a worse game experience or do we want a better game but with some freedom for the publisher?

again, its about different things.

Last edited:
Yeah, being dicks and insulting people really does wonders.

yeah sure and now what? Ooblets outrage is because of the dev statement + Patreon game + Epic hate on top,
Shenmue 3 outrage is because of "betrayed backers" + publisher doesnt care about backers + Epic hate on top,
Oddworld is a self funded game, no risk for anyone outside the dev team, no fan money involved, no external publisher
but still some Epic hate on top.

in all three scenarios Epic is a "evil" part but the core discussions are about three different things.
a "friendlier" Shenmue 3 Epic announcement would still get hate
because the core discussion is not about some statement. also there is absolutely no proof
that more people would have been interested in Ooblets without that dev statement. tons of people jumped on this train
because they heard of the statement controvery but they never heard of the game.

thats why we cant compare it just because Epic is involved.
the comparison has like 10 different "if" "maybe" "could" scenarios and we dont have the answers.

Oddworld is a self funded game, no risk for anyone outside the dev team, no fan money involved, no external publisher
Exactly why Epic going mostly for KS games is a shitty practice.
a "friendlier" Shenmue 3 Epic announcement would still get hate
Yes, and if people want a refund they should get a refund (and they'll get one, thanks to the backlash).
also there is absolutely no proof
that more people would have been interested in Ooblets without that dev statement. tons of people jumped on this train
because they heard of the statement controvery but they never heard of the game.
Do you need to buy a kinect to "bitch" that they were recording you ? (this goes for any shitty market practice).
Do you need to know a guy beforehand to criticize a public dick statement ?
but still some Epic hate on top.
And they should get criticism, I don't understand at this point why they should be defended.
They tried to get an exclusivity and when they didn't got it stopped them from publishing it in their platform, how is that not a dick move ? So much for caring about the devs.
It's amazing to what point people care to cover for multinational corporations, it's quite funny.

"Following a blog post citing the reasons for the decision" is a very strange way of saying "After actively insulting people who funded their game".

Has it been pointed out yet in this thread that the Ooblets devs had always taken a tongue-in-cheek, irreverant tone in their blog? Of the kind that's easily taken out of context by people arriving late because of their interest in a particular hot button issue rather than the game?

Has it been pointed out yet in this thread that the Ooblets devs had always taken a tongue-in-cheek, irreverant tone in their blog? Of the kind that's easily taken out of context by people arriving late because of their interest in a particular hot button issue rather than the game?

yeah, and before even reading your message, seemed pretty evident the only ones offended by such obvious, mild sarcasm--were lemmings.

Seems like quite the strategy to get people on board with EGS.

How can people resist weekly FREE games? Quality games, at that. All for the price of a free download.

Seems like quite the strategy to get people on board with EGS.

How can people resist weekly FREE games? Quality games, at that. All for the price of a free download.

...I don't normally play PC games. But I think I want to go and download the Epic launcher for these games. This is rad.

They literally give away free games every week. It's kind of insane if you think about it. Many of them are fairly new and highly regarded games, too.

They literally give away free games every week. It's kind of insane if you think about it. Many of them are fairly new and highly regarded games, too.

Yep. Installing Epic now as we speak. If I'm gonna get free games every week, why not install it? Seems very pro-customer to me.

Back