The Epic Games Store thread

I'm surprised they're not bundling Fortnite 'exclusives' with new games. PREORDER SHENMUE 3 AND GET THIS NEW OUTFIT!!! That kind of thing. Seems like a no brainer.

That'd actually be quite neat. Fort building with the same texture of the hazuki residence/dojo walls...?

Any kind of 'exclusive' that ties into one of their hit games, really. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons they are not already doing that since they know a thing or two about printing money, but I thought it was at least a thought worth posting.

Wow

I wonder what Ys Net got

Here's a more detailing of how EGS inner-working game-plans goes.

Big thread, long walls of text. Bring coffee.☕:whistle:

If it was an Epic exclusive, I could only buy it in Epic's store for 60€. That's a 25€ difference for the price of exclusivity.
Not really gonna touch the rest of your post, but this isn't strictly true. At least not across the board?

Borderlands 3 and Ancestors : The Humankind Odyssey are both available on key reseller site Green Man Gaming for a 10-15% markdown from the EGS price.

Games in general are getting more expensive on PC though tbh. Steam's own prices used to be pretty good, but at some point they started heading higher as digital grew on consoles (establishing a higher RRP, I guess?), then key resellers started undercutting that, and other key resellers undercutting that, but I'm finding that deals generally aren't as great as they used to be. Maybe that's just my impression of it, but it does feel like older games coming to PC have a markup they never used to.

EGS prices aren't the cause, but they are symptomatic of something that's been heading in one direction for a while now.

Not really gonna touch the rest of your post, but this isn't strictly true. At least not across the board?

Borderlands 3 and Ancestors : The Humankind Odyssey are both available on key reseller site Green Man Gaming for a 10-15% markdown from the EGS price.

Games in general are getting more expensive on PC though tbh. Steam's own prices used to be pretty good, but at some point they started heading higher as digital grew on consoles (establishing a higher RRP, I guess?), then key resellers started undercutting that, and other key resellers undercutting that, but I'm finding that deals generally aren't as great as they used to be. Maybe that's just my impression of it, but it does feel like older games coming to PC have a markup they never used to.

EGS prices aren't the cause, but they are symptomatic of something that's been heading in one direction for a while now.

10% is really minimal when it comes to voucher for online stores. Take a look at isthereanydeal. The norm is usually around 20 to 25%.

And no, the problem isn't EGS prices. Publisher set prices. The problem is EGS exclusivity. EGS exclusivity means no keys on 3rd party sites, except if Epic has a deal with a store or allow a store, which is crazy because it should be the dev who choose freely another store.

The problem is also that a 12% margin, if it became the norm, would mean the 3rd party stores would've no leverage for price competition since it happens on their 30% cut. Hence why we get games 20 to 25% off day one.

Can someone who dislike Epic store please tell me why it's so bad aside from exclusivity-deals?
It is very developer friendly, and selling games there means more profit for the developer which in turn means more games from said developer. This is why I feel Shenmue III might be a good fit there as it increases the chances for Shenmue IV (assuming there isn't some crazy boycott going on).

I downloaded EGS the other day and I think it's fine and does its job.

So why the extreme outrage? I must be missing something because I have seen plenty of death threats directed toward people who enjoy EGS and walls of texts about how EGS is Satan himself.

What is it about it that is so bad, so awful, that people demand refunds rather than just playing a game they actually want to play from the store? To me, a non-PC gamer, the store is okay, gives free games, and is friendly to developers. What is so bad that outweighs all of this?

Can someone who dislike Epic store please tell me why it's so bad aside from exclusivity-deals?
It is very developer friendly, and selling games there means more profit for the developer which in turn means more games from said developer. This is why I feel Shenmue III might be a good fit there as it increases the chances for Shenmue IV (assuming there isn't some crazy boycott going on).

So why the extreme outrage? I must be missing something because I have seen plenty of death threats directed toward people who enjoy EGS and walls of texts about how EGS is Satan himself.

What is it about it that is so bad, so awful, that people demand refunds rather than just playing a game they actually want to play from the store? To me, a non-PC gamer, the store is okay, gives free games, and is friendly to developers. What is so bad that outweighs all of this?

tHeRe ArE nO aChIeVemEnTs Or ShOpPiNg BaSkEt

tHeRe ArE nO aChIeVemEnTs Or ShOpPiNg BaSkEt

Lol. Seriously hope that isn't a reason. If that causes people to demand refunds and send death threats, I'm done with humanity

10% is really minimal when it comes to voucher for online stores. Take a look at isthereanydeal. The norm is usually around 20 to 25%.
10-15%, I said. Let's keep that extra 5%, just to be fair and factual (Ancestors has the 15% markdown).

Looking at GMG's "coming soon" page for titles coming to Steam, I'm actually seeing a good few 15% off or less markdowns, so I dunno if it's exactly fair to say 20-25% is the flat norm for new games - no questions asked? Some games have deeper discounts, but many others don't. Even looking at isthereanydeal for many of the same games, the markdown elsewhere doesn't extend that much further on some (WWE 2K20 is 15% off at GMG, apparently best deal is 17% off).

I just dunno if it's the most solid ground for criticism without having to massage the numbers somewhat. Maybe the markdowns appear radically different for you because of the different currency? Idk.

And no, the problem isn't EGS prices. Publisher set prices. The problem is EGS exclusivity. EGS exclusivity means no keys on 3rd party sites, except if Epic has a deal with a store or allow a store, which is crazy because it should be the dev who choose freely another store.

The problem is also that a 12% margin, if it became the norm, would mean the 3rd party stores would've no leverage for price competition since it happens on their 30% cut. Hence why we get games 20 to 25% off day one.
I don't necessarily disagree with this, but is EGS exclusivity the problem given some of the stuff I said above? It might flatten out the deeper discounts in some cases, but otherwise it appears they're actually within a similar range of markdown some games coming to Steam have - give or take a few percentage points. Games are just getting more expensive on PC, and the crazier deals for new titles are starting to go away regardless of the storefront or key vendor.

I explain just up:
-Exclusivity de facto raised the average price you could pay for a game.
For exemple, before the exclusivity deal, Anno 1800 could be found for 42€ on legit 3rd party sites. Because of that, it's now only available through Uplay or EGS, for 60€. That's a 18€ price increase.

-On features: There's a lot of QoL and important features that are deemed a standard nowadays on PC.
-Big Picture which is a TV/Gamepad interface which EGS doesn't feature at all.
-Steam Input which is basically a god send for a lot of people, including some people with disabilities or not because it has extensive remapping and macros.
-Library Sharing, which is basically the only way to lend a game on PC. Basically it's the equivalent of being allowed to lend a game to a friend (imagine that possibility being removed on PS4).
-Cloud saves, which has been recently implemented on EGS'... In a fairly limited way. For now Epic has to implement it themselves on a per game basis. Which means compatibility is low.
-Workshop support which basically allow mod sharing with a single click.
-Proton which allows Linux users to play Windows games.
-Community Guides through a single click.
-Automatic refunds which arent implemented yet on EGS.

Basically those are all either QoL stuff or important stuff that people like to use everyday. I know some clever people here will try to say "MUUUUH SHOOPPING BASKETS". But those are console warriors who'd be pissed off if they didn't have achievements anymore.

In the end, for the sole reason of exclusivity, people pay MORE (I insist on that) for LESS.

10-15%, I said. Let's keep that extra 5%, just to be fair and factual (Ancestors has the 15% markdown).

Looking at GMG's "coming soon" page for titles coming to Steam, I'm actually seeing a good few 15% off or less markdowns, so I dunno if it's exactly fair to say 20-25% is the flat norm for new games - no questions asked? Some games have deeper discounts, but many others don't. Even looking at isthereanydeal for many of the same games, the markdown elsewhere doesn't extend that much further on some (WWE 2K20 is 15% off at GMG, apparently best deal is 17% off).

I just dunno if it's the most solid ground for criticism without having to massage the numbers somewhat. Maybe the markdowns appear radically different for you because of the different currency? Idk.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but is EGS exclusivity the problem given some of the stuff I said above? It might flatten out the deeper discounts in some cases, but otherwise it appears they're actually within a similar range of markdown some games coming to Steam have - give or take a few percentage points. Games are just getting more expensive on PC, and the crazier deals for new titles are starting to go away regardless of the storefront or key vendor.

Hence why I talked about isthereanydeal which list only legit 3rd party stores.
As you can see the markup is 20% on some sites... And those have additionnal 10% coupons to bring the price even lower.

And the markup for GMG can be even higher for some games.
So yes, EGS exclusivity is the problem.

I'm surprised no one is raging about the recent launch of the Rockstar Game Launcher. As we move forward, it seems like more and more companies (at least the bigger ones) will probably eventually split from Steam and do their own thing. Makes sense, why give Steam a portion of your cut? At this point, isn't Steam just the Gamestop of online gaming e-commerce? If these publishers hate Gamestop taking a portion then what makes Steam any different?

As we go forward it's clearly gonna split even more. I was looking at my new PC and thinking "I already have 4 launchers here"

- Steam
- Microsoft Store (I signed up for Game Pass today)
- GOG
- Epic Games Store

And if I buy Modern Warfare for PC this year then I'll probably be forced to download Activision's store front.

I have four different launchers now on my PC as is...well 5 if you include Retroarch ;)

If Rockstar turn around and say here's Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC BUT it's exclusive to OUR launcher then that would mean I would be downloading another launcher (if I went the route of buying RDR 2 PC and IF that happened)

So why not the rage towards Rockstar (clearly) moving towards its own distribution method?

I feel as we go forward, Steam will get hit more and more by the big boys who can afford to do their own shit. EA's already gone. Acti/Blizz is mostly gone. R* just launched their own storefront (how long will they last?) Microsot is mostly playing all fields (but still pushes Gamepass.) Epic is gone doing their own thing.

The fragmentation is already here. And going forward, it just makes you wonder if Steam will budge to offer better deals? Isn't that why Deep Silver bit with Epic? Epic was offering better deals. Regardless of storefront quality (I don't think it's terrible, just basic compared to Steam)

Steam could serve the Indies and other publishers. But the big boys that have enough clout are already leaning towards their own shit. I just wonder why no real outrage towards the other big boys moving away from Steam? Or am I just out of the PC loop? (as in has there been outrage?)

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one is raging about the recent launch of the Rockstar Game Launcher. As we move forward, it seems like more and more companies (at least the bigger ones) will probably eventually split from Steam and do their own thing. Makes sense, why give Steam a portion of your cut? At this point, isn't Steam just the Gamestop of online gaming e-commerce? If these publishers hate Gamestop taking a portion then what makes Steam any different?

As we go forward it's clearly gonna split even more. I was looking at my new PC and thinking "I already have 4 launchers here"

- Steam
- Microsoft Store (I signed up for Game Pass today)
- GOG
- Epic Games Store

And if I buy Modern Warfare for PC this year then I'll probably be forced to download Activision's store front.

I have four different launchers now on my PC as is. If Rockstar turn around and say here's Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC BUT it's exclusive to OUR launcher then that would mean I would be downloading another launcher (if I went the route of buying RDR 2 PC and IF that happened)

So why not the rage towards Rockstar (clearly) moving towards its own distribution method?

I feel as we go forward, Steam will get hit more and more by the big boys who can afford to do their own shit. EA's already gone. Acti/Blizz is mostly gone. R* just launched their own storefront (how long will they last?) Microsot is mostly playing all fields (but still pushes Gamepass.) Epic is gone doing their own thing.

The fragmentation is already here. And going forward, it just makes you wonder if Steam will budge to offer better deals? Isn't that why Deep Silver bit with Epic? Epic was offering better deals. Regardless of storefront quality (I don't think it's terrible, just basic compared to Steam)

Steam could serve the Indies and other publishers. But the big boys that have enough clout are already leaning towards their own shit. I just wonder why no real outrage towards the other big boys moving away from Steam? Or am I just out of the PC loop? (as in has there been outrage?)

You said it yourself: No one is raging at Uplay, Origin nor Rockstar Launcher (which btw is basically social club) for many reasons:
First of all, they dont stop 3rd party stores. Second, THEIR games are exclusive to their service (yet release on other stores).
People aren't raging for "another icon". People are annoyed because they end up paying more for an artificial exclusivity to launch a subpar service

Back