What is your estimated global sales of shenmue 3

I think you're writing off RDR2 far too much there. Regardless of what anyone thinks of critical scores or review aggregators, it's rated as the eighth-best game of all time on GameRankings, and the third-best of this generation behind only Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild.

It's hardly going to fade into super obscurity.

I'm talking about staying power here, not initial or general perception.

If you want to talk about general perception though, outside mainstream media outlets, It's not the great masterpiece that people hoped/wanted it to be. There's a lot of problems with the basic mechanics of the game, that people have, and rockstar's choices on what to focus on.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why a Shenmue fan would pre order the game but not have backed the Kickstarter, unless they were oblivious of the whole crowdfunding initiative.

What I don't understand is why a Shenmue fan would pre order the game but not have backed the Kickstarter, unless they were oblivious of the whole crowdfunding initiative.

It's common for people to miss out on the KS though, so that's not fair. Also the segment of fans who would back a KS, is a lot smaller then then overall fanbase(in like every possible case, if there is a exception, it would be Shenmue, however there's other factors you need to account for as well. Most notably the false info on what the original games cost that is still floating around, and the individual's faith that a real Shenmue game can be made off of mostly KS funding)

Also lets be real, in the overall grand scheme of the gaming community, very few people are into informing them selves on anything in general to beginwith(how do you think scum like EA keeps getting away with their BS)..

Didn't Untitled Goose Game just sell a ton of copies?

We really have no idea what to expect.

All it'd take is one popular influencer telling his/her impressionable fans to play Shenmue 3. I really wish Epic would start cross-promoting Fortnite with their exclusives!

All it'd take is one popular influencer telling his/her impressionable fans to play Shenmue 3. I really wish Epic would start cross-promoting Fortnite with their exclusives!

Lmao yea there's that as well. Just more proof that people are underestimating Shenmue 3 to the extreme.

I actually remember a really big Fortnite/DOTA player going on and on about Shenmue at one point on Twitter.

Wish I could remember who it was...

I don't think it will be too much of a problem though. RDR 2 doesn't even have a noticeable fraction of the clout people acted like it would, when it first came out, and RDR online is complete trash. After just 1 week, buzz for RDR 2 dropped off a cliff, free falling to the point, history will remember it as a super obscure game, if it remembers it at all. Considering RDR 2 already exists elsewhere, and Shenmue 3 comes out the 19th, Shenmue 3 should be in the clear.

You know the most frustrating thing? The moment there is a RDR2 article people jump on it and comment away like its the best game ever. Erm. It really isn't.

I found it so bloody boring. How many more times did I wanna do just "one last job?". How many last jobs did we do?! It was clear from the off, Dutch was a trouble making, no good worthless cunt of a character and yet his people kept obeying him. C'mon....

To traverse over that map time and again. Then walk...WALK through the bloody camp just to talk to someone. Why couldn't I run? Frustrating as hell to play.

Why does it draw so much attention, love and praise? Surely if people can walk through a bore fest of a game like RDR with a drag of a story Shenmue 3 SHOULD sell like hot cakes. Right? Am I living on another planet?

Shenmue 3. 20million units sold. Heard it here first guys!

This is the guy I was thinking of.

All Shenmue 3 needs is one big influencer telling all their impressionable young fans to check it out.

Shame he's not a Fortnite player. He's a DOTA guy.

RDR 2 will also likely be featured on EGS but yeah it's a good point.

UGG and indy games in general sold especially well on Switch, I don't know about PC figures though. Also, UGG cost only 15 bucks.

Anyway UGG is the prove that a good concept and thematic do everything in the quality of a game, above any reflection regarding gameplay or technique. As I said, Shenmue 3 has exotic culture and martial art storytelling on its side. There's no deep reason that people straightly categorize this game as more "niche" than an abstract puzzle game.

I don’t even know how I managed to finish it. I found the whole package really uninteresting. People can Jeer Shenmue’s NPCs’ appearance, but at least I can remember what they look like and the sorts of things they say. RDR2’s world is completely forgettable.

I don’t even know how I managed to finish it. I found the whole package really uninteresting. People can Jeer Shenmue’s NPCs’ appearance, but at least I can remember what they look like and the sorts of things they say. RDR2’s world is completely forgettable.
John Marsden himself kept me playing to the end. He was the only character I was the least bit interested in. Only thing was, I completed the game and was so burnt out by it that I never played the epilogue chapters where you played as him? Thing is I don't feel like I missed out. It was such a chore just to get there.

You know the most frustrating thing? The moment there is a RDR2 article people jump on it and comment away like its the best game ever. Erm. It really isn't.

I found it so bloody boring. How many more times did I wanna do just "one last job?". How many last jobs did we do?! It was clear from the off, Dutch was a trouble making, no good worthless cunt of a character and yet his people kept obeying him. C'mon....

To traverse over that map time and again. Then walk...WALK through the bloody camp just to talk to someone. Why couldn't I run? Frustrating as hell to play.

Why does it draw so much attention, love and praise? Surely if people can walk through a bore fest of a game like RDR with a drag of a story Shenmue 3 SHOULD sell like hot cakes. Right? Am I living on another planet?

Shenmue 3. 20million units sold. Heard it here first guys!

Yea that's annoying, it would be dead for awhile, but as soon as 2k/rockstar makes a noteworthy announcement, all of a sudden people are back to acting like It's the best ever, even though they don't believe it themselves, damn tools.

I was going to make this point myself, but didn't have a chance: Yes RDR 2 is very much trying to be a Shenmue game, with a western setting. Missing the mark on most fronts, but for a western company, It's probally way better then ever has a right to be.

However yes It's funny as hell, preaople will praise that to high heaven, even though the execution is complete trash on most aspects, yet they'll downplay Shenmue calling it slow, boring, tedious, has bad controls, ect. I don't know about you, but I don't recall it ever taking 20 seconds to pick up a item in a Shenmue game, there's also a competent running system in Shenmue(which there Isn't in RDR 2), ang the battle system in Shenmue games are way better then the gun play in RDR 2, ect.

It's so sad sigh.

This sells 300k if I'm being optimistic
That's kind of where my mind was at for a long while, but the fact that the HD collection has already surpassed that makes me think otherwise.

And as far as my personal guestimate, man, I don't even want to speculate at this point. Imo, this is a game that could so very easily experience a breakout beyond the core fans and become a million seller. And it could also very easily not. It feels like a coin flip.

Back