What is your estimated global sales of shenmue 3

Um you do realize Japan is literally Shenmue's worst market don't you? If It's on such a list in Japan at all, that should give you more faith in the western sales numbers.
I know Shenmue didn’t sold well in japan, but that’s the only time the game have been included in a similar list.
Yakuza is quite popular in Japan and for ages they heard about Shenmue being the inspiration that guided Nagoshi with his series, so something might be changed since the first Shenmue release.
In the west I can’t nearly see any interest at all toward the game, and I’m really concerned about that.

When it's all set and done I'd say between 700k to 1 million.
Keep in mind that would be great numbers for Shenmue 3 given it's budget.
Also keep in mind Yakuza gradually built it's sales to where it is today. Took them 10+ games and many of them were selling under a million but it was enough to continue on before it gained decent traction in the west.

But you never know maybe S3 gets really solid reviews and that will provide a good boost along with positive word of mouth.

After seeing the new Game Informer screenshots and the rate of recent enhancements, Shenmue III may sell 1+ Million Copies Worldwide through the Holiday Season into Next Year... Easy...

And that's just through PS4 & EGS...

Steam will get sweaty, too...

And Deep Silver may port Shenmue III to that vocal market on Xbox and the huge RPG market on Switch...

And that doesn't take into consideration future sales of a Shenmue III: Definitive Edition with all the DLC additions...

Remastered and re-released on PS5 and all other next-gen systems, too...

Maybe even released on Stadia and Apple Arcade for good measure...

It definitely ain't the Dreamcast days...

Lots of marketing and revenue opportunities...

When it's all said and done, we may hit 3+ Million or More Worldwide before Shenmue IV...

And that's being conservative...

Shenmue is International Art...it's getting translated and sold everywhere...

If that plus all the DLC and Epic and other funding still doesn't save the saga...good lord...

Last edited:
Just have some popular youtuber play it and I'm sure it'll get more than a million sales. Detroit: Become Human became popular that way and now has over 3 million copies sold.

Yea, but lets hope funhause Isn't one of those. Usually even bad coverage would be considered good, but omg their lets play of Shenmue 2 I think it was, was downright cringy, I tried to forget it.

After seeing the new Game Informer screenshots and the rate of recent enhancements, Shenmue III may sell 1+ Million Copies Worldwide through the Holiday Season into Next Year... Easy...

And Deep Silver may port Shenmue III to that vocal market on Xbox and the huge RPG market on Switch...

And that doesn't take into consideration future sales of a Shenmue III: Definitive Edition with all the DLC additions...

When it's all said and done, we may hit 3+ Million or More Worldwide before Shenmue IV...

If that plus all the DLC and Epic and other funding still doesn't save the saga...good lord...

Yea exactly

I would love Shenmue 3 on Switch so bad(in the meantime, Sega port Shenmue 1+2 to switch, what's taking you), that would be amazing.

Yea at the end of the day, that's what I'm expecting as well, between 3-4, and that's if it doesn't explode.

Love this guy's optimism! Maybe a litle too much tbh haha but its good to hear some are feeling good about the matter.

I've been saying this all along, reviews will impact the game sales greatly.
If the game has some favourable reviews within the 8 and 9 range, 1 or 2 days before release, the hype will rise a LOT.
New comers will want to taste this different, slower RPG like expirience.

Reviews will play a biiiig part in all this.

However, if the reviews are crapy. 5s and 6s... most people besides the core fans wont botther. It will be just yet another oportunity to trash the game. "Shenmue was never good, would would be good now?"

We don't know yet if Suzuki nailed it. But we will soon find out.

Last edited:
i think if a brand new super small hardcore indie rpg game like Outward (40€ retail) can sell 400.000 copies
without any big promotion (not even PS3 graphics),
and someone like Sega was happy about 1 mil sold Yakuza 6 copies
(PS4 only and new players couldnt even play the old games on PS4)
its realistic that Shenmue 3 will sell between 600.000-800.000 minimum in a time frame of 3-9 months.
i really dont think that it will crash completely. if there are positive reviews and positive fan feedback,
other people will notice that its a unique hand made game with a soul, perfect for a relaxed game session around christmas.

and someone like Sega was happy about 1 mil sold Yakuza 6 copies
(PS4 only and new players couldnt even play the old games on PS4)
Did 6 even have a recap of the previous Yakuza games? Haven't gotten to it yet, but I just assumed it didn't or had something relatively light. Conversely, S3 has a 15 minute one at the start of the game, so they're clearly taking all the people that haven't played the previous games very seriously.

Did 6 even have a recap of the previous Yakuza games? Haven't gotten to it yet, but I just assumed it didn't or had something relatively light. Conversely, S3 has a 15 minute one at the start of the game, so they're clearly taking all the people that haven't played the previous games very seriously.

More importantly you can play Shenmue 1, and 2 on the PS 4(well 2 anyway, unless Sega fixed 1, I hope they fixed Shenmue 1, because damn it was a broken mess of a port)

There are some short scenes of 5 in it and you can read about the rest in very short text.
Its enough to understand whats going on in Yakuza 6 but of course thats just the stuff you have to know and nothing more.
There is way too much going on in every game to recap everything or the intro movie for Yakuza 6
would be 7 hours long. But new players had no other choice, the other games (2, 3, 4, 5) were not available on PS4.

Yeah agreed Joel. Luckily the demo was received way better than any of us could anticipate really, so I'm hoping that reviewers will give it a fairer shot now.
I'm glad the demo was so well received, it for me alleviated alot of concerns I was having about the game too. But I'm trying not to use that too much as a gauge for the game's reception. Like the only people that are playing it super die-hards and even the couple of journalist impressions of it were from self-admitted fans.

The real test of the reviews is that it got to go up against the views of those that don't think the game looks good or the people who already don't like 1 and 2. It's going to be very interesting to see how its gonna hold up. A lot of it, of course, is gonna come down on like the game itself. Now on the other hand hearing the gameinformer impressions were far more relieving cause it sounds like what they were shown off was pretty impressive and seemed better than what they were expecting, and especially for that being the combat which seemed to be the thing worrying people the most thats a very good sign for the games reception.

Thats actually one of my other concerns about the game or rather its marketability, like the combat LOOKS jank and its not until you play it and mess around for a few minutes that it really starts to click, and for me personally it really clicked. But for the people that arent playing it but rather watching someone else do it ie a lets player, I worry the game might come off looking worse than it is, like I sent my friend a video of a fight against gold tiger and his response was "I can't tell if this looks better or worse than i expected it to look, musics nice though"

Thats actually one of my other concerns about the game or rather its marketability, like the combat LOOKS jank and its not until you play it and mess around for a few minutes that it really starts to click, and for me personally it really clicked. But for the people that arent playing it but rather watching someone else do it ie a lets player, I worry the game might come off looking worse than it is, like I sent my friend a video of a fight against gold tiger and his response was "I can't tell if this looks better or worse than i expected it to look, musics nice though"
That's why good reviews will be key.
If the game is good, reviewers can explain what you just said, " The combat might look a bit janky in beginning but then when you start to learn its intricacies it really clicks, and it can even be addicting!".
See?
Reviewers will play a big part on this game reputation. Specially since the prequels are so old now, and many people don't have an opinion on the franchise besides what they see on the net.

Back