Where U think the source of Haters originated from???

I played on the normal difficulty and found the fighting (even the first story fights) insurmountable without improving stamina and strength and I suspect this is by design. Also, S1 and 2 do not feature level grinding of any kind. You can level up moves to change their animations but this is not tied to Ryo's overall ability to win fights. You start every fight with full health and can win using the moves you have at the beginning. The economy in S1 and 2 isn't broken because it's barely there. You can buy all the moves in both games for less than the cost of the reverse body check.

Leveling up moves is still grinding, and the upgraded moveset made fights easier on the original games no matter how you spin it. Anyway, about S3 I don't know what to say to you but this is me playing the game on anything below the hard difficulty and with Ryo having less than half his health bar and using mostly default non-upgradable moves:

It has the wait feature. Essentially every NPC points you in the right direction. You can skip most dialogue. The DC version had Japanese voice acting. The fighting is better integrated into the overall game. And it tells a better story with better characters.

If such automated systems were actually good game design, why stop there? Youtube playthrough videos would be the ultimate gaming machine with the ability to skip to any parts players find interesting, leaving the frustration of playing to others and focusing on story cutscenes only. It got to be the least time waster method to experience a game right? And it's free on top of that!

As for the rest of your posts, I gotta stop at the moment as I still have to finish up S3 and you clearly didn't get the memo of not posting spoilers in a non-spoiler section.

Btw, S2 is not mainstream at all. I find many new players liking S1 over S2 actually, including Kyle Hilliard, AKA the IGN guy who gave S3 the 5.9 rating.

You're kidding yourself if you think that Shenmue II has much more mainstream appeal. Nearly everyone who dislikes Shenmue I also dislikes Shenmue II.
I'm not seeing evidence of it. The high profile people who mock Shenmue (Funhaus, Jim Sterling, Yahtzee) have all admitted to not playing the sequel. I'm not suggesting that if you really hated S1, S2 will magically turn you onto the series, I simply said that it doesn't leave itself open to mockery the way S1 and 3 do. It has more mainstream appeal because it moves faster and is closer to what we expect from an RPG. The same reason David Cage games are basically adventure games but still have "mainstream appeal" because they're fast paced and have fancy graphics.

There are just as many mockable things in Shenmue II and the games aren't really that different from each other besides Shenmue II not making you wait.
Nothing that comes even close to asking around for sailors or the nonsensical NPC responses from 3. About the closest I can think of is asking people to play lucky hit and maybe duck racing, but nothing that rises to the meme-tier S1 has attained.

I also don't see how Shenmue I was higher profile when it was only on Dreamcast but Shenmue II was on Xbox as well (and was also playable on Xbox 360).
Because Shenmue 1 sold over 1 million units and S2 sold a lot less than that. S1 was also the recipient of most of the marketing push, S2 didn't even see a US release on DC. S3 had the extremely high profile Kickstarter campaign (and subsequent backlash).

And how is "Ren" something that gives it mainstream appeal?
His character is a much needed counter point to Ryo's stoicism and is the classic noble thief in the vein of Han Solo. Usually these tend to be fan favorites for a reason and S1 doesn't really have anyone like that.

Can I just start listing off my favorite Shenmue I characters and pretend that it has mainstream appeal because of them?
Sure. I like Guizhang as much as the next guy, but he doesn't offer the same contrast that Ren does.

It honestly sounds like you just really loved the story and characters in Shenmue II, but don't like any of the unique things that make the Shenmue series what it is. You shouldn't be surprised that you didn't like Shenmue III, as it sounds like you're not so much a Shenmue fan but just a fan of Shenmue II specifically.
The entire reason I imported S2 is because, despite its flaws, S1 showed great potential (a very robust fighting system, the Hazuki basement is probably the best scene in the series, intriguing story elements, a willingness to experiment with genre etc.). I view it as a flawed experiment and the HD version with its Japanese dub and fast loading times makes it far more appealing to me than the DC version. I like the story of Shenmue and how it's unafraid to bend the gameplay to tell the story; it isn't any one "thing" and S3 tries to turn it into a repetitive formula (one can easily imagine S4 having an identical gameplay loop and similarly suffering for it). So I like the series, I just happen to think S2 executes on the potential of the series better than the other 2.

The potential of the series being this:

There are way too many spoilers in it for the non spoiler forum.
Done. Wasn't aware this wasn't the spoiler forum.

I mean for years if you asked me what my favorite game was I would say Shenmue 2 but I would never use it to 'show how bad Shenmue 1 was' nor would i ever be so disillusioned to think a lot of people felt the same way I did about Shenmue 2 hence 'why you dont see many people bashing Shenmue 2 like you do with 1 and 3'.
Good for you, but you don't see many people mocking S2 because there isn't as much to mock.

He also ignores the fact less people played Shenmue 2.
Kind of central to my entire thesis but OK.

Yes it is a good game and no, that's not the truth.

69 average score on metacritic, got to mediocre positions in any sales list available so far, and in some it didn’t even chart at all, Huber who is a massive fan barely gave it a 70.

Not to mention here in the spoiler forum where the game got heavily criticized.

By those metrics it’s safe to say that it is was not a good game for most people, that’s how it is. 🤷‍♂️

If it had been a better game it would have gotten 75-80 meta score and got more curiosity (and sales) out of gamers, with a 69 score it’ll probably just come and go.

Leveling up moves is still grinding, and the upgraded moveset made fights easier on the original games no matter how you spin it. Anyway, about S3 I don't know what to say to you but this is me playing the game on anything below the hard difficulty and with Ryo having less than half his health bar and using mostly default non-upgradable moves:
I mean, good for you I guess? Way to exploit the slow motion moves that the game doesn't even explain how to perform? I found the fighting in 3 to be more enjoyable than I thought it would be once I was leveled up, but getting there was a pain in the ass. If you want to suggest that training moves in S1 and 2 is the same thing as tapping A to make Ryo get more health then I'm sorry but that's an insane argument.

If such automated systems were actually good game design, why stop there?
I would argue that arbitrarily telling the player to come back at random times to advance the plot is bad design and in S2 (like most games with specific timed objectives) allows you to skip the waiting. Why is this a bad thing? You don't even need to use it.

As for the rest of your posts, I gotta stop at the moment as I still have to finish up S3 and you clearly didn't get the memo of not posting spoilers in a non-spoiler section.
Sorry, I edited it to be a spoiler post. I'm curious what you think once you finish it.

Btw, S2 is not mainstream at all.
Not mainstream, more mainstream appeal than 1 and 3. Shenmue is not a mainstream game no matter how you slice it. And there are plenty of reviewers from PCGamer to Gamespot who think the opposite.

I found the fighting in 3 to be more enjoyable than I thought it would be once I was leveled up, but getting there was a pain in the ass.

You would hate training in Hung Gar Kung Fu in real life then

Horse stance for days :ROFLMAO:

Kung Fu literally mean hard work. Its not supposed to be easy or one shot mastery like....catching a falling red leaf for a few minutes

69 average score on metacritic, got to mediocre positions in any sales list available so far, and in some it didn’t even chart at all, Huber who is a massive fan barely gave it a 70.
It's fine if you don't like the game, but I feel really bad for anyone that takes metacritic aggregate as gospel.

It has more mainstream appeal because it moves faster and is closer to what we expect from an RPG. The same reason David Cage games are basically adventure games but still have "mainstream appeal" because they're fast paced and have fancy graphics.
Closer to what we expect from an RPG in what sense? The story? The pacing? Because gameplay-wise, Shenmue III is much closer to what we expect from an RPG and those are the aspects of it that you seem to hate the most (grinding, leveling up, etc.). David Cage games have also been published and heavily pushed by Sony since Heavy Rain. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit I would argue is much less mainstream than Shenmue. And are you saying Shenmue didn't have "fancy graphics" in 1999/2000?

Because Shenmue 1 sold over 1 million units and S2 sold a lot less than that. S1 was also the recipient of most of the marketing push, S2 didn't even see a US release on DC. S3 had the extremely high profile Kickstarter campaign (and subsequent backlash).
Okay, point made.

Nothing that comes even close to asking around for sailors or the nonsensical NPC responses from 3. About the closest I can think of is asking people to play lucky hit and maybe duck racing, but nothing that rises to the meme-tier S1 has attained.

Good for you, but you don't see many people mocking S2 because there isn't as much to mock.
I'm sorry, but I still don't agree. Since we've established that Shenmue I was higher profile and more people played it, has it ever occurred to you that you don't see people mocking it because they haven't played it?

There are way more things than the ones you mentioned. For example:

And regardless of how famous/infamous it is, there is nothing wrong with the asking around for sailors part and I'll die on that hill. It's just like any other part of the game. Ryo was told by Liu-san to ask sailors in the vicinity to find out more about Lan Di, since his name implies that he's part of a cartel or the Chinese mafia and they've developed a base in the harbor. So Ryo asks around about sailors until he finds some. It's no different than asking around about cheap travel agencies or running around Hong Kong asking random people about Ren of Heavens.

Some idiots just decided to focus on that one tiny part, take it out of context, and act like Shenmue is some dating simulator in which the main character is a homosexual man with an affinity for sailors. Then it caught on and became this legendary meme for no good reason at all.

The potential of the series being this:
Not even sure what you're trying to say here. What potential is there in a pre-rendered CG teaser from Shenmue's Project Berkley/VF RPG days? I feel like literally the only thing you care about with Shenmue is the story and you'd be happier if it was a movie or an anime rather than a game.

So many of your arguments have to do with Shenmue II being more fast paced and action packed. But that is not the essence of Shenmue and I think many fans would agree. One of the big appeals of Shenmue was the way it focused heavily on the mundane and the realistic world that you got to live in and explore. Then when something exciting did happen, it felt very meaningful because of the contrast between that and the slower, more mundane parts.

The story of Shenmue would be nothing special if it was just a book, manga, comic, movie, anime, etc. Most fans only really got invested in the story because of the way it's presented, as part of this extremely unique and special gaming experience.

Regardless of whether Shenmue III had enough action, enough story progression, or enough memorable characters and moments, I think you're missing the whole point of Shenmue. The things that you don't like about the first game are some of the very things that many of us love about it. From what I've heard you say, I truly believe that Shenmue II was an anomaly and for whatever reason just clicked for you, but that Shenmue on the whole is not your cup of tea.

I mean, good for you I guess? Way to exploit the slow motion moves that the game doesn't even explain how to perform? I found the fighting in 3 to be more enjoyable than I thought it would be once I was leveled up, but getting there was a pain in the ass. If you want to suggest that training moves in S1 and 2 is the same thing as tapping A to make Ryo get more health then I'm sorry but that's an insane argument.

It's not the same thing as S3 went full ahead to adapt stats building from the action RPGs of today, but my point was that S3 is still structured the same way as the original games with the grinding being just a sideline aspect, not its main focus.

I would argue that arbitrarily telling the player to come back at random times to advance the plot is bad design and in S2 (like most games with specific timed objectives) allows you to skip the waiting. Why is this a bad thing? You don't even need to use it.

It may look like I don't like S2, but it's just the timeskip I have an issue with. Most fans don't have a problem with it and clearly prefer the feature, but not me. Why is this a bad thing for me? Shenmue is an adventure game in real time at its core, but having an option to skip time means all those NPCs schedules, day/night cycles and weather patterns became just an aesthetic feature instead of a mechanical one, rendering the clock feature pointless. Being optional changes very little as you the player are always aware that you are the one in control of when and what things get to happen at will, basically full in charge of the in-game world, which was not the case in the first game. But not all timeskip features are bad in design, as it's well implemented in games like Far Cry 2. I just don't like it in Shenmue.

Sorry, I edited it to be a spoiler post. I'm curious what you think once you finish it.

So far it's on par with S2 for me. I think I even like S3 better, but I'm still in Bailu and some of the spoiler comments indicate it gets worse after that which would be a shame.

Closer to what we expect from an RPG in what sense? The story? The pacing? Because gameplay-wise, Shenmue III is much closer to what we expect from an RPG and those are the aspects of it that you seem to hate the most (grinding, leveling up, etc.). David Cage games have also been published and heavily pushed by Sony since Heavy Rain. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit I would argue is much less mainstream than Shenmue. And are you saying Shenmue didn't have "fancy graphics" in 1999/2000?

Okay, point made.

I'm sorry, but I still don't agree. Since we've established that Shenmue I was higher profile and more people played it, has it ever occurred to you that you don't see people mocking it because they haven't played it?

There are way more things than the ones you mentioned. For example:

And regardless of how famous/infamous it is, there is nothing wrong with the asking around for sailors part and I'll die on that hill. It's just like any other part of the game. Ryo was told by Liu-san to ask sailors in the vicinity to find out more about Lan Di, since his name implies that he's part of a cartel or the Chinese mafia and they've developed a base in the harbor. So Ryo asks around about sailors until he finds some. It's no different than asking around about cheap travel agencies or running around Hong Kong asking random people about Ren of Heavens.

Some idiots just decided to focus on that one tiny part, take it out of context, and act like Shenmue is some dating simulator in which the main character is a homosexual man with an affinity for sailors. Then it caught on and became this legendary meme for no good reason at all.

Not even sure what you're trying to say here. What potential is there in a pre-rendered CG teaser from Shenmue's Project Berkley/VF RPG days? I feel like literally the only thing you care about with Shenmue is the story and you'd be happier if it was a movie or an anime rather than a game.

So many of your arguments have to do with Shenmue II being more fast paced and action packed. But that is not the essence of Shenmue and I think many fans would agree. One of the big appeals of Shenmue was the way it focused heavily on the mundane and the realistic world that you got to live in and explore. Then when something exciting did happen, it felt very meaningful because of the contrast between that and the slower, more mundane parts.

The story of Shenmue would be nothing special if it was just a book, manga, comic, movie, anime, etc. Most fans only really got invested in the story because of the way it's presented, as part of this extremely unique and special gaming experience.

Regardless of whether Shenmue III had enough action, enough story progression, or enough memorable characters and moments, I think you're missing the whole point of Shenmue. The things that you don't like about the first game are some of the very things that many of us love about it. From what I've heard you say, I truly believe that Shenmue II was an anomaly and for whatever reason just clicked for you, but that Shenmue on the whole is not your cup of tea.

I think Shenmue II is the gold standard of the series. I'd even say it's the greatest open world game of all time. It encapsulates story, pacing, and gameplay almost seamlessly. I enjoyed the hell out of Shenmue I when it first came out, but when the re-releases were here I found it to be tedious to get through. Shenmue III is a worse culprit in that regard. That's not to say I dislike the game, far from it. But when or if we get Shenmue IV, I hope it's as action packed as the second game was.

I think Shenmue II is the gold standard of the series. I'd even say it's the greatest open world game of all time. It encapsulates story, pacing, and gameplay almost seamlessly. I enjoyed the hell out of Shenmue I when it first came out, but when the re-releases were here I found it to be tedious to get through. Shenmue III is a worse culprit in that regard. That's not to say I dislike the game, far from it. But when or if we get Shenmue IV, I hope it's as action packed as the second game was.

LIke I mentioned before, Shenmue 2 was one of my all time favorite games and its also the same for many others here.

However

I think some people are propping it up way too much in an effort to bash Shenmue 3 and Shenmue 1 since those two had more spotlight than it.
Less people played Shenmue 2 than Shenmue 1 due to the fact it was made less available. It was an import and it was an Xbox exclusive for years. That alone made it even more niche.
The people who didnt like Shenmue 1 obviously also didnt bother buying Shenmue 2 so thats another huge factor.

And people are glancing over things like Delin crate box moving job, Lucky Hit job, which really were the only two ways of earning money in that game and you had to earn 500 to even speak to Ren remember? So whats all this whining about 2000 yuan for age 50 yr old liquor for Master Sun and 5000 yuan for the Bajiquan archane book when its so much easier to earn money in Shenmue 3.
Not to mention ignoring the airing out book minigame that didnt earn you any money?
Saying the 'game is faster paced' yet ignoring all the times you had to slowly follow an NPC if you didnt know where to go which would take forever due to how bigger the world was? How is that faster pacing??
And then the whining about martial arts training in a game with martial arts as its main theme but then complimenting the fact you were catching leaves in Shenmue 2 as martial arts training or letting a QTE fail in a barber shop which would cost you a day not to mention waiting half a day just to do it? what?
my god the nitpicking hindsight is getting out of hand here.

Closer to what we expect from an RPG in what sense? The story? The pacing?
The pacing, primarily how quickly the plot advances and how many new characters are introduced. It's much closer to an RPG and I'd argue S1 is closer to an adventure game. I don't even know what I'd compare S3 to besides a filler episode of a TV show.

Because gameplay-wise, Shenmue III is much closer to what we expect from an RPG and those are the aspects of it that you seem to hate the most (grinding, leveling up, etc.).
It shares some superficial mechanical similarity with RPGs, yes but I wouldn't compare it to the kind of character progression you get from a real RPG. You play Wario Ware-esque microgames to level up health, it's not exactly Planescape Torment.

David Cage games have also been published and heavily pushed by Sony since Heavy Rain. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit I would argue is much less mainstream than Shenmue. And are you saying Shenmue didn't have "fancy graphics" in 1999/2000?
Yes and S1's sales reflect that. My entire point is that if S1 and 2 were 1 game and those same people saw the content on offer in S2, the series wouldn't be as widely hated (hence the point of this thread). Because S1 was split and its length padded out, it is far more open to being mocked.

It's certainly possible, especially with the horrible English dub. I just haven't seen any evidence for it since almost all the mocking is at S1 and 3's expense. I know S2 is, shall we say, "quirky".

And regardless of how famous/infamous it is, there is nothing wrong with the asking around for sailors part and I'll die on that hill.
I feel you. It's more the disconnect that it establishes between Ryo and his environment. If I had to guess, S1 in its original state had only a couple of scenes and probably included the letter from Yuanda Zhu as part of the opening cutscene.

Not even sure what you're trying to say here. What potential is there in a pre-rendered CG teaser from Shenmue's Project Berkley/VF RPG days?
The tone of that trailer, and most of the trailers for the Shenmue games is much more conducive to a martial arts epic than a life simulator, I like the mix but I like it to err on the former, rather than the latter. There's a lot of interesting looking shit in that trailer that I would like to get to before game, I don't know, 7...

I feel like literally the only thing you care about with Shenmue is the story and you'd be happier if it was a movie or an anime rather than a game.
Not at all. I didn't like S3 and I consider S1 to be a fatally flawed game. I don't think Shenmue would make a very good movie or anime without dramatically changing it, though I would prefer to see the ending to the story even if it means taking a form other than a game.

So many of your arguments have to do with Shenmue II being more fast paced and action packed. But that is not the essence of Shenmue and I think many fans would agree.
I argued why Guilin is necessary for the pacing and that the Hazuki basement is perhaps the best part of the entire series, what do you mean?

One of the big appeals of Shenmue was the way it focused heavily on the mundane and the realistic world that you got to live in and explore.
As someone who can't look at an elevator without thinking of Shenmue, I totally get this. But there's more to Shenmue than just the detail of the world, interesting things need to happen in it.

Debatable. I certainly see a lot of potential in the story but I can't tell if it's got the goods one way or the other (S3 certainly didn't fill me with confidence). I don't see a reason to continue this series in particular if you're not going to continue the story. If it's gameplay you want then YS could've released a "spiritual successor" and saved a ton of headache.

From what I've heard you say, I truly believe that Shenmue II was an anomaly and for whatever reason just clicked for you, but that Shenmue on the whole is not your cup of tea.
I'm open to that. I'm here to articulate why I think a lot of people are Shenmue haters as I appear to be one of the few on this forum who consider S1 to suffer from enough flaws to call it a bad game. Though it is greatly enriched after playing S2.

Shenmue is an adventure game in real time at its core, but having an option to skip time means all those NPCs schedules, day/night cycles and weather patterns became just an aesthetic feature instead of a mechanical one, rendering the clock feature pointless.
I posted about Shenmue's weird relationship to time in another thread, but I agree with this sentiment depending on the design, I just don't think S1 made a great case for it being necessary.

So far it's on par with S2 for me. I think I even like S3 better, but I'm still in Bailu and some of the spoiler comments indicate it gets worse after that which would be a shame.
I won't spoil anything, though I vastly prefer Bailu.

LIke I mentioned before, Shenmue 2 was one of my all time favorite games and its also the same for many others here.

However

I think some people are propping it up way too much in an effort to bash Shenmue 3 and Shenmue 1 since those two had more spotlight than it.
Less people played Shenmue 2 than Shenmue 1 due to the fact it was made less available. It was an import and it was an Xbox exclusive for years. That alone made it even more niche.
The people who didnt like Shenmue 1 obviously also didnt bother buying Shenmue 2 so thats another huge factor.

And people are glancing over things like Delin crate box moving job, Lucky Hit job, which really were the only two ways of earning money in that game and you had to earn 500 to even speak to Ren remember? So whats all this whining about 2000 yuan for age 50 yr old liquor for Master Sun and 5000 yuan for the Bajiquan archane book when its so much easier to earn money in Shenmue 3.
Not to mention ignoring the airing out book minigame that didnt earn you any money?
Saying the 'game is faster paced' yet ignoring all the times you had to slowly follow an NPC if you didnt know where to go which would take forever due to how bigger the world was? How is that faster pacing??
And then the whining about martial arts training in a game with martial arts as its main theme but then complimenting the fact you were catching leaves in Shenmue 2 as martial arts training or letting a QTE fail in a barber shop which would cost you a day not to mention waiting half a day just to do it? what?
my god the nitpicking hindsight is getting out of hand here.

It all boils down to your gaming personality at the end of the day and yes, Shenmue II is an infinitely faster paced game than III. For me I never used the feature where an NPC would escort you to the designated location, I preferred to go explore on my own and find it. But that's just my personal preference. Money farming in Shenmue II was also way easier and once of my biggest gripes of III.

I used the exact same methods to earn money in Shenmue III as I did in 2 (Save Scumming Roll It On Top) and it took me about 5-7 IRL hours to get the money I needed for the rest of the game. Whereas in Shenmue II I was done in 45 minutes tops. Not to mention the fact that you have to earn tokens and then exchange it for prizes and then sell the prizes at a pawn shop was extremely tedious and just added to the time.

Earning money in Shenmue II was much more manageable and there was always events in between that kept you occupied. Shenmue III has this feeling of always moving the goal post more and more and more and the payoff wasn't as rewarding as it was by the time you got to Dou Niu in Shenmue II.

Call it nitpicking or whatever you want, but that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it as much as you are entitled to your own Shenmue III is a hard 7/10 for me because of how much it goes out of it's way to pad the story for the sake of plodding along with little to no payoff. For what it's worth, the ending to Shenmue I left a bitter taste in my mouth as I was thinking "That's it? Well can't wait for Shenmue II". That's how I felt about the ending to III and now I'm looking forward to IV as I think it's a game that will be suited to my personal taste of Shenmue.

It's not the end of the world if Shenmue III is not everyone's favorite Shenmue III game. I actually felt more "ripped off" when Yakuza 5 came stateside after all that bargaining with Sega to bring it over. Only for it to be even more of a plodding mess than Shenmue III was and really a filler game with Dance Dance Revolution with Haruka. Still didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of Yakuza 6 though.

If we get Shenmue IV, I hope most of the people here can finally stop being on edge about the outcome of Shenmue III. We can only let time run it's course now.

Last edited:
It all boils down to your gaming personality at the end of the day and yes, Shenmue II is an infinitely faster paced game than III. For me I never used the feature where an NPC would escort you to the designated location, I preferred to go explore on my own and find it. But that's just my personal preference. Money farming in Shenmue II was also way easier and once of my biggest gripes of III.

I used the exact same methods to earn money in Shenmue III as I did in 2 (Save Scumming Roll It On Top) and it took me about 5-7 IRL hours to get the money I needed for the rest of the game. Whereas in Shenmue II I was done in 45 minutes tops. Not to mention the fact that you have to earn tokens and then exchange it for prizes and then sell the prizes at a pawn shop was extremely tedious.

Earning money in Shenmue II was much more manageable and there was always events in between that kept you occupied. Shenmue III has this feeling of always moving the goal post more and more and more and the payoff wasn't as rewarding as it was by the time you got to Dou Niu in Shenmue II.

Call it nitpicking or whatever you want, but that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it as much as you are entitled to your own.

Save scumming sucks its a cheap BS way to earn money and most people used the NPC follow tactic

Save scumming sucks its a cheap BS way to earn money and most people used the NPC follow tactic

I could care less if that's how you feel. That's how I choose to play the game and get the maximum enjoyment out of my time. No other human being would be affected or cheated on whether I decide to save scum or not. It's just me and a computer machine. Anyway, How would you know about how many people used the NPC follow tactic? Any raw data or facts to back up this claim?

I'm not seeing evidence of it. The high profile people who mock Shenmue (Funhaus, Jim Sterling, Yahtzee) have all admitted to not playing the sequel. I'm not suggesting that if you really hated S1, S2 will magically turn you onto the series, I simply said that it doesn't leave itself open to mockery the way S1 and 3 do. It has more mainstream appeal because it moves faster and is closer to what we expect from an RPG. The same reason David Cage games are basically adventure games but still have "mainstream appeal" because they're fast paced and have fancy graphics.

This is very poor logic.
"It doesnt leave itself open to mockery because reviewers and many gamers ignored it entirely that is why it has more mainstream appeal."

S3 is closer to what an RPG is. Not S2.

Back