Where U think the source of Haters originated from???

Fair enough, just as long as you understand it's simply a matter of "I didn't like it".
Yes and if you want to understand why a lot of people respond to it with laughter (as this thread posits), it helps to understand why it didn't work. Chai is cartoonishly out of place for someone who is supposed to be a villain (his fight in the arcade is the hardest fight in the game and he's the final boss fight). Goro is similarly cartoonishly out of place but it works because he's a comic relief character. Chai isn't so it doesn't.

My point was that Shenmue II is full of many stupid things that are easy to pick on a well, but your personal opinion is that Shenmue 2 is a great game so you don't seem as eager to pick on the things others might find stupid.
Shenmue 2 either outright fixes or minimizes everything I said about Shenmue 1. Yes it can be criticized, but those criticisms are much easier to justify because of how much the game does right. Basically it's all about the story, if the story of Shenmue intrigues you in any way then S2 delivers.

They're the same things most people find stupid about 1 + 3. These games are all fundamentally similar to each other.
Hard disagree. S3 is so fundamentally different from 1 and 2 that if you changed the main characters wouldn't even think it was the same franchise. There's stamina, leveling, grinding and a weird, totally unbalanced economy that are all completely unique to this entry and make up the bulk of the gameplay.

I personally very much enjoy the stamina system. It ties everything together in a way that Yu had wanted to do in the past but wasn’t able to. You could previously buy cans of soda that wouldn’t really have any effect on the player or gameplay. Now it does and the system has a purpose to it. I have to laugh at the criticism that the player has to waste countless hours with the mini games. That’s always been a part of Shenmue ffs. If this part of it isn’t enjoyable then I question whether you have actually enjoyed Shenmue in the past or just rushed through the story as quickly as possible. For the record, I prefer S2 I’ve S1 (I still love S1) and I’ve found S3 to be much better than I had anticipated.

Even if the majority do dislike it, which is totally possible, I think its intention makes sense. I don't think it's dumb. It's an integral part of Shenmue 3's game design. If you don't like it, then it makes sense you're not going to enjoy Shenmue 3. I don't think it's wrong for me to try to explain why I think it makes sense. I also said that it could use refinement and adjustment if they get a chance at making another game, not that it's perfect and anyone who disagrees with me is a big dumb-dumb.

What SCQ appears to have accused me of is contorting myself to defend a clearly bad system, which is not what I was doing. It's how I view the system. There are lots of things I dislike about Shenmue 1-3 and I think I've posted those things here and there, but I'm happy to debate points I disagree with. I hope that's not viewed as "shutting down criticism of Shenmue 3 and scaring people away."

Last edited:
Just as a side comment. I run the Dojo Facebook page and from what I've seen around post interaction is generally the game is viewed in a positive light despite the flaws by fans. My own Twitter feed would suggest a similar stance. There's no logic or analysis to this as such but only what I've seen with my own two eyes though on the flip side I've seen some clearly over-reactive/trolling comments but no where near as many as the good ones.

Pretty much. The Metacritic has HUNDREDS of positive user reviews, yet I'm meant to believe the thread here on a forum with a few dozen active posters somehow caused that. The constant reminders about how 'the majority' or the 'true fans' dislike the game are really tiring and it just isn't true when I step outside the community and look around.

I have to laugh at the criticism that the player has to waste countless hours with the mini games. That’s always been a part of Shenmue ffs.
Not to this degree. You have to hit a tree to learn Iron Palm and catch leaves ONCE in S2. You do not need to run up to random trees once a day to practice catching leaves. Most of the other mini games are kept to the periphery except QTE practices like carrying books or walking along planks (hardly the highlight of S2). S1 only forces mini games, if it can even be called that, when you have to drive the forklift and motorcycle (which makes sense given that the controls are very different).

If this part of it isn’t enjoyable then I question whether you have actually enjoyed Shenmue in the past or just rushed through the story as quickly as possible.
Shenmue 2 is one of my favorite games ever and I can defend nearly every decision made in that game. The story dictates the pace so you can take your time with it if that's your thing or you can enjoy something a little faster paced (until Guilin and even that was brilliant for its time).

I personally very much enjoy the stamina system. It ties everything together in a way that Yu had wanted to do in the past but wasn’t able to. You could previously buy cans of soda that wouldn’t really have any effect on the player or gameplay.
It's an integral part of Shenmue 3's game design. If you don't like it, then it makes sense you're not going to enjoy Shenmue 3. I don't think it's wrong for me to try to explain why I think it makes sense.
These are related so I'll respond to them together. I understand what S3 was going for; the systems integrating together is a good idea in theory. It's almost like Dark Souls where if you come at it with the wrong mentality (ie: trying to play it like an action game), you're gonna have a bad time. I get it. However, one of my favorite moments in Shenmue 2 is when Ryo is given the option to say goodbye to the people who helped him in Wan Chai precisely because there was no incentive to do so. I liked that the game didn't provoke a sociopathic response in my brain; I wanted to thank Jainmen because the game did an excellent job of making him a character that I cared about. You lose that mystique especially with martial arts when characters almost literally say "you have to level up your kung fu to continue". To say nothing of what it does for the replayability of the game...

Last edited:
That video is valid because, as I mentioned, it has much higher views than most Shenmue related videos, especially prior to S3. It's not proof that the game is bad per se, but it definitely provides plenty of material to make fun of. Just off the top of my head:
1. The poor English voice acting and stilted, robotic delivery
2. Waiting IRL to advance the game clock
3. Following leads that are obviously going nowhere until Ine San hands you the letter (even Yahtzee points this out in his review)
4. The almost complete lack of fighting for the first 2 acts of a game about martial arts, suddenly shifting gears and going full on action mode where Ryo (a high school kid) single handedly defeats a gang of 70 thugs.
5. Ryo's almost complete disconnect from the people and places he has ostensibly known his entire life
6. Every meme-able moment that has been used to make fun of the game for 20 years (Chai being grotesquely out of place, looking for sailors, the forklift etc.)

I would say that Ryo losing stamina to the point of near death simply by existing (and then replenishing it by eating 10 heads of garlic) is dumber than anything in any Shenmue game. Shenmue 2 also has a dozen other moments that are better than anything S3 even attempts.

Maple! I don't recognize the avatar though.

If those guys wanted to make a video picking apart Shenmue 2 just as much as they did for Shenmue 1 they would.
They just didnt care to. Pretty sure if they did, they would find just enough if not more stuff they'd think sucks about Shenmue 2 to make bad jokes of.

I have just been reading this thread, and I don't want to be a nag, but can some of you please not post spoilers? This thread is in the non spoiler part of the forum and I have come across a few spoilers in this thread and just managed to drag my eyes away from what I'm sure was a major one.

Not to this degree. You have to hit a tree to learn Iron Palm and catch leaves ONCE in S2. You do not need to run up to random trees once a day to practice catching leaves. Most of the other mini games are kept to the periphery except QTE practices like carrying books or walking along planks (hardly the highlight of S2). S1 only forces mini games, if it can even be called that, when you have to drive the forklift and motorcycle (which makes sense given that the controls are very different).
Mini games is the one area in which I can say that I unequivocally prefer Shenmue III over Shenmue II. Earning money in Shenmue II is one of my least favorite parts of the series. The only reliable way to earn cash is to carry crates with Delin/Congo and that's about as fun as gouging my eyes out with a rusty butter knife. Other than that, you can get a part time job at a Lucky Hit stand, which is probably even worse. You just stand around for what feels like forever and you maybe make $25-$50 if you're lucky but usually end up with nothing.

There's gambling obviously, but that's not reliable either without save scumming. I don't like save scumming, and needing to save scum to avoid having a bad time is just poor game design. The street fights aren't too bad but there are none even available until you get to Beverly Hills Wharf. And then I feel like an idiot doing the Yan Ren fight over and over again. First of all, it makes no sense that it keeps getting tougher to win the more Ryo beats on him, nor does it make sense that he keeps putting more money on the line each time Ryo wins. Secondly, there's no skill involved; I just keep doing the Lunging Strike until he drops. And lastly, it's very annoying that there's no "Continue" option. I have to keep re-entering the fight and listening to the same spiel, and then everyone acts surprised when Ryo says "I'll do it" and wins, even though he's already done it like five times in a row.

In stark contrast, I actually enjoyed almost all of the ways you can make money in Shenmue III. In fact, I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed them. Chopping wood and picking herbs was surprisingly addictive. I also liked driving the forklift and catching ducks. Even the gambling is way more forgiving and less annoying than it was in Shenmue II. Even if I lose, I can just recoup the money I spent on tokens by chopping some wood. Plus, you can greatly increase your chances by visiting the fortune teller. When I lose money in Shenmue II, it's like a nightmare because I know I'm going to have to help Delin carry crates again. Fighting at the Rose Garden makes way more sense than beating on Yan Ren over and over until five Lunging Strikes aren't enough to take him down, and even things like pail toss are actually fun.

And considering that Shenmue II is the game that forces you to air out books every morning until you advance to a certain point in the story, it's pretty hypocritical to complain that Shenmue III is a game based around martial arts that makes you train your martial arts skills. It's also ironic that you think Shenmue I is a bad game when, by your own admission, it doesn't have any of the forced mini games that Shenmue II or III do. Yes, there are times when you have to wait but that's when you can really go nuts doing whatever you want, such as going to the arcade or buying capsule toys. I never even play arcade games or buy capsule toys in Shenmue II because the lack of Ine-san's allowance combined with the horrible jobs that are available makes money extremely precious to me in that game.

Shenmue III also has a New Game+, so you really only have to level up your Kung Fu during one single playthrough if you don't want to keep doing it every time you replay the game.

Hard disagree. S3 is so fundamentally different from 1 and 2 that if you changed the main characters wouldn't even think it was the same franchise. There's stamina, leveling, grinding and a weird, totally unbalanced economy that are all completely unique to this entry and make up the bulk of the gameplay.

Aside from stamina, all other elements are present within all three games and so they are not unique to S3. They make up the bulk of the game as much as they did in 1 & 2, as it is possible to beat 3 without grinding with Ryo still even being able to level up within the story battles. So I don't really see how this is so fundamentally different in S3 than the previous games.

Shenmue 2 either outright fixes or minimizes everything I said about Shenmue 1. Yes it can be criticized, but those criticisms are much easier to justify because of how much the game does right. Basically it's all about the story, if the story of Shenmue intrigues you in any way then S2 delivers.

Shenmue 2 is one of my favorite games ever and I can defend nearly every decision made in that game. The story dictates the pace so you can take your time with it if that's your thing or you can enjoy something a little faster paced (until Guilin and even that was brilliant for its time).

S2 fixes nothing. Having almost every action sequence in the game rely on QTEs or some other variation does not improve neither the game experience or pacing. Worse, command QTEs at every moment actually diminish immersion as it breaks the action sequence fluidity to a halt. And if players are so keen on timeskip as improvement, the development team might as well used that in Guilin where the game is basically automated from that point on with nothing to do beside having players choose random dialogues that lead literally to nowhere gamewise, unlike in S3 (if you don't what I'm talking about, play it again with careful eyes).

Anyway even if S2 is really the crown jewel of the series in the eyes of most fans and you bashing the other games, it won't make anyone else hate the series any less than what they do today, so I don't see your point. It's a niche game with a small cult following, so it's bound to be hated like so many of its kind.

I have just been reading this thread, and I don't want to be a nag, but can some of you please not post spoilers? This thread is in the non spoiler part of the forum and I have come across a few spoilers in this thread and just managed to drag my eyes away from what I'm sure was a major one.
I don't know what I skimmed over but I'm glad I skimmed over it.

And if players are so keen on timeskip as improvement, the development team might as well used that in Guilin where the game is basically automated from that point on with nothing to do beside having players choose random dialogues that lead literally to nowhere gamewise, unlike in S3 (if you don't what I'm talking about, play it again with careful eyes).
Also, why even have parts of the game where you have to wait for something if you can just use the time skip ability? It's totally pointless. It made sense in Shenmue I because the life simulation aspect of that game was a major part of it. And sometimes you have to wait for things in life (as us Shenmue fans have become painfully aware of). It also encouraged players to explore the game world, do side activities, talk to people, etc. In Shenmue II, having to wait for something becomes meaningless because you don't actually have to wait.

I also think it was implemented poorly. There should have been a loading screen and then Ryo is in the same spot the next morning, like when you appear at Shenhua's house after 9 PM in Shenmue III. Instead they went for the time-lapse approach, but this implied that Ryo literally stood there the entire time and didn't sleep or do anything else.

I also think it was implemented poorly. There should have been a loading screen and then Ryo is in the same spot the next morning, like when you appear at Shenhua's house after 9 PM in Shenmue III. Instead they went for the time-lapse approach, but this implied that Ryo literally stood there the entire time and didn't sleep or do anything else.

Logically I should agree with this, but I really like the time-lapse for some reason.

Earning money in Shenmue II is one of my least favorite parts of the series. The only reliable way to earn cash is to carry crates with Delin/Congo and that's about as fun as gouging my eyes out with a rusty butter knife. Other than that, you can get a part time job at a Lucky Hit stand, which is probably even worse. You just stand around for what feels like forever and you maybe make $25-$50 if you're lucky but usually end up with nothing.
Totally agreed, this is probably the worst part of S2 and I was extremely disheartened to see S3 make it a pillar of the franchise. What I will say in defense of this in S2 is that Ryo is stripped of his money as part of the story, and a brilliant way to differentiate being a stranger in a strange land from the relative safety of his hometown, so there is a reason for him to need money. In S3, he's in a tiny village in the mountains; he should be training and learning about the Shenmue tree, Phantom River Stone, and the poem, not trying to make enough money to buy $2000 wine (which is the same amount that the ticket to HK cost and that was considered prohibitively expensive). Never mind when he needs to do it again for $5000.

There's gambling obviously, but that's not reliable either without save scumming. I don't like save scumming, and needing to save scum to avoid having a bad time is just poor game design.
Agreed. But it's way faster than any option in S3, including save scumming, because S3 fundamentally changed how gambling works by lowering the stakes and adding the weird token-item-money loophole. In about 15 minutes of save scumming big or small, I had enough money to fulfill the needs of the story and buy every move in the game (with about $3k left over).

Chopping wood and picking herbs was surprisingly addictive. I also liked driving the forklift and catching ducks.
Agreed, these were fun. I didn't like picking herbs because of the stamina system and the annoying need to go into first person. What isn't fun is having to repeat these tasks for hours. Ditto the martial arts training.

And considering that Shenmue II is the game that forces you to air out books every morning until you advance to a certain point in the story, it's pretty hypocritical to complain that Shenmue III is a game based around martial arts that makes you train your martial arts skills.
Except that in S2 you are training under Xiuying (who we know is a major recurring character) and it's part of the story. She's trying to teach Ryo patience and he is rewarded with several moves and an important book that holds key information. On top of learning moves from several other masters. In S3 you literally meet the master who taught Ryo's father and nothing happens, he just tells you to go to another location. All of the martial arts training is side content related to grinding with the exception of the two body check moves.

It's also ironic that you think Shenmue I is a bad game when, by your own admission, it doesn't have any of the forced mini games that Shenmue II or III do.
That's not why I consider Shenmue 1 a bad game. When playing S2, I never felt like my time was being wasted or that what I was doing was going to lead nowhere and if I did, the game quickly remedied it by introducing memorable characters or moving the story forward.

Shenmue III also has a New Game+, so you really only have to level up your Kung Fu during one single playthrough if you don't want to keep doing it every time you replay the game.
While I'm thankful for the New Game+ option, I can't see myself replaying S3 until S4 comes out. Not many moments I care to revisit.

Aside from stamina, all other elements are present within all three games and so they are not unique to S3. They make up the bulk of the game as much as they did in 1 & 2, as it is possible to beat 3 without grinding with Ryo still even being able to level up within the story battles. So I don't really see how this is so fundamentally different in S3 than the previous games.
I played on the normal difficulty and found the fighting (even the first story fights) insurmountable without improving stamina and strength and I suspect this is by design. Also, S1 and 2 do not feature level grinding of any kind. You can level up moves to change their animations but this is not tied to Ryo's overall ability to win fights. You start every fight with full health and can win using the moves you have at the beginning. The economy in S1 and 2 isn't broken because it's barely there. You can buy all the moves in both games for less than the cost of the reverse body check.

S2 fixes nothing.
It has the wait feature. Essentially every NPC points you in the right direction. You can skip most dialogue. The DC version had Japanese voice acting. The fighting is better integrated into the overall game. And it tells a better story with better characters.

Having almost every action sequence in the game rely on QTEs or some other variation does not improve neither the game experience or pacing. Worse, command QTEs at every moment actually diminish immersion as it breaks the action sequence fluidity to a halt.
Agreed, it leans pretty heavily on QTEs but this is something I forgive due to its age. It was a pioneer on this front and other games that followed suit (like RE4) are still good despite them. Plus S3's QTEs are the fucking worst, they're super unforgiving and several of them require one button press for Ryo to dispatch what should be high-level enemies. S3 is not an old game, what's the excuse here?

And if players are so keen on timeskip as improvement, the development team might as well used that in Guilin where the game is basically automated from that point on with nothing to do beside having players choose random dialogues that lead literally to nowhere gamewise, unlike in S3 (if you don't what I'm talking about, play it again with careful eyes).
S3 treading ground that S2 covered pretty well is not a point in its favor. Shenhua is on the cover of both games, recites a poem foretelling their destiny, and Ryo dreams about her once he finds the Phoenix Mirror; in that context being able to talk to her about pretty much anything is a very interesting idea especially after the slam bang action assault that was the Yellowhead building. Imo Shenmue is at its best when the gameplay serves the needs of the story so for it to allow that kind of downtime for the sake of properly building to that cliffhanger ending is not something I'm ever going to hold against it. And you can skip most of their dialogue on the nature walk. S3 has Shenhua grow slightly warmer toward Ryo if you talk to her every night but it gets entirely dropped in Niaowu because S3 completely forgot how setup and payoff work.

Anyway even if S2 is really the crown jewel of the series in the eyes of most fans and you bashing the other games, it won't make anyone else hate the series any less than what they do today, so I don't see your point. It's a niche game with a small cult following, so it's bound to be hated like so many of its kind.
The point, as this thread asks, is why Shenmue gets so much hate, and it's because S1 and S3 are bad games in ways that S2 is not. S2 has much more mainstream appeal (it's faster paced, the story is more interesting, Ren, etc.). Obviously it's still weird and quirky but it doesn't open itself up to being outright mocked the way S1 and 3 do but S1 and S3 are MUCH higher profile. I was hoping for the HD rerelease to remedy this but alas, most reviewers seem to only have reviewed the first game.

Last edited:
Here's something to ponder:

Shenmue 2 programmer credits (73 people):
DirectorEigo Kasahara
Scenario Flow (Chief Editor)Shinichi Yoshino
Scenario Flow (Editors)Masanobu Fukazawa, Daisuke Tazaki, Akira Uematsu
System Planning (Chief Planner)Hideo Choumabayashi
System Planning (Planners)Ken Odanaga, Masaaki Somaki, Yasuhiro Kondou
Event Planning (Manager)Yoshihiro Okabayashi
Event Planning (Chief Planner)Misako Hamada
Event Planning (Planners)Satoru Tsuji, Takehiro Imai, Yuuichi Taniguchi, Makoto Suda, Yūji Sobue
Battle System (Manager)Yoshihiro Okabayashi
Battle System (Planners)Hiroyuki Matsumoto, Kentaro Arakawa
Map & Property Layout (Chief Planner)Shin Ishikawa
Map & Property Layout (Planner)Koumei Akazawa
Script Data (Manager)Shin Ishikawa
Script Data (Script Writers)Tatsuya Ohmachi, Kenji Ishikawa, Masayoshi Takatori, Nobuhiro Onodera
Script Data (Minutes)Tadafumi Wagatsuma, Shinsuke Imai
Script Data (Planning Section Assistants)Junya Kuroki, Hiroshi Nonaka
Original Version » Software
DirectorMakoto Wada
System Program (Chief Programmers)Makoto Wada, Takayuki Iida
System Program (Adviser)Takeshi Hirai (UGA)
System Program (System Programmers)Masayuki Sumi, Shigenobu Iga, Norimasa Yoshizawa, Satoru Takeshima, Yoshikazu Nagasawa, Yoshinori Isoda, Toshihiko Gouya, Tetsuya Ino, Souta Kageyama
Event System (Chief Programmers)Takeshi Hisajima, Yusuke Shimizu, Takayuki Iida
Event System (Event Programmers)Kouji Hanaoka, Takeshi Yamaguchi, Takashi Suwa, Takeshi Machida, Shin Kuroiwa, Takayuki Ota, Tamio Munekata, Tomofumi Muramatsu
Life Control System Unit (Chief Programmer)Takayuki Iida
Life Control System Unit (Programmer)Kensaku Maeda
Life Control System Unit (Data Management)Yusuke Matsuyama
Life Control System Unit (Data Production)Hidetomo Hara, Hitoshi Kagawa, Junichi Yabuki
Battle System (Chief Programmer)Hiroaki Shoji
Battle System (Programmers)Norihiro Sekine, Yasutaka Igarashi, Hideaki Miyagushi
Real Time Movie Program (Chief Programmer)Yōichi Ugajin
Real Time Movie Program (Programmer)Kazuhiro Nomura
3D Library & Effect Program (Chief Programmer)Takeyuki Ogura
3D Library & Effect Program (Programmers)Kazunori Masuda, Junichi Komori, Susumu Morii
3D Library & Effect Program (Hang On Porting)Masatoshi Hashimoto, Shinichirou Mukaigashira
3D Library & Effect Program (Software Section Assistant)Naoko Kikuchi

Shenmue 3 programmer credits (30 people):

I'll guess some of those 30 people weren't actually full time coders.

The point, as this thread asks, is why Shenmue gets so much hate, and it's because S1 and S3 are bad games in ways that S2 is not. S2 has much more mainstream appeal (it's faster paced, the story is more interesting, Ren, etc.). Obviously it's still weird and quirky but it doesn't open itself up to being outright mocked the way S1 and 3 do but S1 and S3 are MUCH higher profile. I was hoping for the HD rerelease to remedy this but alas, most reviewers seem to only have reviewed the first game.
You're kidding yourself if you think that Shenmue II has much more mainstream appeal. Nearly everyone who dislikes Shenmue I also dislikes Shenmue II. You're the exception, not the rule. There are just as many mockable things in Shenmue II and the games aren't really that different from each other besides Shenmue II not making you wait.

I also don't see how Shenmue I was higher profile when it was only on Dreamcast but Shenmue II was on Xbox as well (and was also playable on Xbox 360). And how is "Ren" something that gives it mainstream appeal? Can I just start listing off my favorite Shenmue I characters and pretend that it has mainstream appeal because of them?

It honestly sounds like you just really loved the story and characters in Shenmue II, but don't like any of the unique things that make the Shenmue series what it is. You shouldn't be surprised that you didn't like Shenmue III, as it sounds like you're not so much a Shenmue fan but just a fan of Shenmue II specifically. Also, your post should be in a spoiler tag. There are way too many spoilers in it for the non spoiler forum.

You're kidding yourself if you think that Shenmue II has much more mainstream appeal. Nearly everyone who dislikes Shenmue I also dislikes Shenmue II. You're the exception, not the rule. There are just as many mockable things in Shenmue II and the games aren't really that different from each other besides Shenmue II not making you wait.

I also don't see how Shenmue I was higher profile when it was only on Dreamcast but Shenmue II was on Xbox as well (and was also playable on Xbox 360). And how is "Ren" something that gives it mainstream appeal? Can I just start listing off my favorite Shenmue I characters and pretend that it has mainstream appeal because of them?

It honestly sounds like you just really loved the story and characters in Shenmue II, but don't like any of the unique things that make the Shenmue series what it is. You shouldn't be surprised that you didn't like Shenmue III, as it sounds like you're not so much a Shenmue fan but just a fan of Shenmue II specifically. Also, your post should be in a spoiler tag. There are way too many spoilers in it for the non spoiler forum.

Yeah his posts are coming off really odd now. Some really narrow tunnel visioned nostalgia glasses going on. I mean for years if you asked me what my favorite game was I would say Shenmue 2 but I would never use it to 'show how bad Shenmue 1 was' nor would i ever be so disillusioned to think a lot of people felt the same way I did about Shenmue 2 hence 'why you dont see many people bashing Shenmue 2 like you do with 1 and 3'.

He also ignores the fact less people played Shenmue 2.

The Xbox version wasnt even released in Japan and the Dreamcast version wasnt released in North America. You had to import it from EU and it had no English dub (something people in the West would often scoff about with any import game or game from Japan that was localized)

Back