How to access story quest dlc

Should be updated. Do you happen to have an endgame save (right before or at the castle)?

Yes, but when I load that save, it still does not unlock the DLC.

I was going to make a video with the story quest DLC but it looks like I won't be doing that today. The implementation of this has been very poor. A simple title screen selection would have been fine, but require a Niaowu story save to unlock (just like Battle Rally). People shouldn't have to research online how to play something they paid for.

Yes, but when I load that save, it still does not unlock the DLC.

I was going to make a video with the story quest DLC but it looks like I won't be doing that today. The implementation of this has been very poor. A simple title screen selection would have been fine, but require a Niaowu story save to unlock (just like Battle Rally). People shouldn't have to research online how to play something they paid for.

100 percent agree. I think the secret might be to finish a complete day which is what I'm doing now.

I've manage to finish it you need to reach the first battle with the red snake boss to complete the whole story

This coupled with the video guide telling us to reach the Buddist shop is all I needed to know (start to end). I'm looking forward to having a Shenmue all-nighter - many thanks!

I have downloaded the expansion pack. I am getting no notification about anybody. I am in Niaowu. I have loaded a save where you need to get the 5000 yuan, and I have a letter to save right after the pillaging of Xiao temple.

Any ideas??

So, basically this is on PS4 and not PC right? Epic haven't updated the game to reflect a purchase of the Deluxe bundle. That's what's happening?

I just triggered it on PS4, latest same patch that was released a week or so ago. I basically started from a NG+ save in Niaowu and then proceeded to continue with the story until speaking to the kids father who knew something about the thugs. I was warped to Shenhua at the hotel, proceeded to continue talking to her on the balcony and then after sleeping, I spoke to her in the hotel lobby, went outside and turned left, when I was greeted to a familiar face.

On PS4, the message saying something along the lines of 'Added story quest pack' only appeared one time when I had accidentally hit 'Continue' on the main menu. All subsequent save game loads didn't give me this message, so it appears the message only appears once.

On EGS, it's a different story, I'm not hearing of anybody getting it to work as-is.

I just triggered it on PS4, latest same patch that was released a week or so ago. I basically started from a NG+ save in Niaowu and then proceeded to continue with the story until speaking to the kids father who knew something about the thugs. I was warped to Shenhua at the hotel, proceeded to continue talking to her on the balcony and then after sleeping, I spoke to her in the hotel lobby, went outside and turned left, when I was greeted to a familiar face.

On PS4, the message saying something along the lines of 'Added story quest pack' only appeared one time when I had accidentally hit 'Continue' on the main menu. All subsequent save game loads didn't give me this message, so it appears the message only appears once.
I just restarted EGS and got a update for the launcher itself. I hoped that they would sort the problem, so I just did this exact thing (like the video I linked) to test if it worked on PC but nope, nothing there. No Chawan cups either :p

So, basically this is on PS4 and not PC right? Epic haven't updated the game to reflect a purchase of the Deluxe bundle. That's what's happening?

Maybe partially. I did not purchase the deluxe version, just the standard version plus the complete DLC pack. It shows that I "own" the story quest DLC but doesn't appear in-game. Shenmue 3 version is 1.05.1

Had no issues with getting it to download and start and finding Zhang on the PS4. Loaded a save that is around the time trying to find a way to beat Ge.

On PC it certainly isn't accessible at all apparently. Relaunched EGS, the game and PC a bunch of times. Also verified the game on EGS wich made it download some 300mb whatever. Didn't do anything.

It's honestly probably Epic Games bullshit as usual on PC to some extent, I have never had a painless easy experience playing games on their platform outside of Ticket To Ride and Satisfactory. Every other title has given me a lot of grief even simply trying to play the game.

Most recent example was buying Division 2 on sale, literally Epic would not launch Uplay and pair the two accounts. I had to manually open both and launch the game in the Epic Store again. Then to make matters worse the game updated and installed before I did this, and once the two accounts paired Ubisoft downloaded, installed, and updated the game again under a different directory which took several more hours and ignored the Epic launcher while the Epic copy insisted on not launching at all still.

The cherry on top of all of this was once it did launch, the game made me relaunch the title again because of the downloaded updates apparently need that to be applied.

Whole experience was terrible, Epic and Uplay are both absolute garbage but the two combined kicked it up to the next level. Literally so bad that getting a AAA for 3 bucks feels like a mistake.

However silly it may sound to remind one of this: have all with PS4 problems closed out the application and restarted the PS4?

I downloaded the DLC while the S3 app was still open, and no saves (original, NG+, or progress in NG+) worked. Restarted my wheezy console, and I got a "DLC story added" notification at the main menu (not an option to select, but a notification). A notification then appeared in game. I had not a problem thereafter.

(Usual edits for bad grammar and clarification)

Last edited:
It's honestly probably Epic Games bullshit as usual on PC to some extent, I have never had a painless easy experience playing games on their platform outside of Ticket To Ride and Satisfactory. Every other title has given me a lot of grief even simply trying to play the game.

In all fairness the Battle Rally DLC came out a day early on PC. I just think that this specific DLC is horribly implemented to "trigger" whenever it feels like it, and I guess it's not available on PC at all ATM.

Was going to do videos, but I'm going to give that a hard pass. I'm willing to wager that it's far less content than BR DLC anyway.

However silly it may sound to remind one of this, but have all with PS4 problems closed out the application and restarted?
I downloaded the DLC while the S3 app was still open, and no saves (original, NG+, or progress in NG+) worked. Restarted my wheezy console, and I got a "DLC story added" notification at the main menu. Not a problem thereafter.

Yep, in fact, I'd even tried deleting and reinstalling the game. The game doesn't seem to tell you that the DLC is accessible everytime you load a save game, either. It just seems to appear the one time, leading some to think that it is inaccessible in their current save game.

OK that fixed it for me. I close the application, restarted the PS4, and loaded my new game plus save and I am away and going. Thank you all for your help!

Yep, in fact, I'd even tried deleting and reinstalling the game. The game doesn't seem to tell you that the DLC is accessible everytime you load a save game, either. It just seems to appear the one time, leading some to think that it is inaccessible in their current save game.

Without sharpening my knives, I admit It's frustrating that each DLC has its own accessibility (one wonders how the cruise will work, to top it off). Like you, I started with a NG+ save; I didn't have luck with other saves even after that notification, but I trust Bluemue's experience here.

Zwischenablage02.jpg

Heureka, I made it there! And boy, I made a savefile at exactly this point now! :D
(the morning after leaving the Hotel, when I showed the photo of Shenhua's father to the Buddha stand owner the day before)

Zwischenablage01.jpg

P.S.: I had to chop wood, because my money didn't last for the room that night :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Still here on PC almost half way into the day of the DLC. Nothing. Sure pays off to be a season pass holder doesn't it?

Back