Is Yu Suzuki out of touch with gaming standards?

Who says that Shenmue 3 cannot stand on it's own. That are your words not mine. And why should I waste time to demonstrate that you are wrong? There is no right or wrong on that subject. You have different expecations from a Shenmue game than I do.

What is right for you is wrong for me. and vi·ce ver·sa.

For me the whole portrayal of Ryo in S3 is more human than he was in S2 and 1. He starts to get interested in his surroundings and about the Things other peoples do. The dialogues in Bailu are a good proof of that. The old Ryo is not listening at all and does not care about the stuff other People say.

The interactions with the NPC in 1 and 2 are funny but also quite dull because Ryo does not care. S3 does not make this interactions better in all aspects, but it is a way in the right direction to portray the character. But that is just my opinion.

and again I am just discusing about the game. I am not defending it.

Because there is nothing to defend. It is just a game .

You know why that bike sequence is amazing ? Because it happens at a moment where the player is familiar with Dobuita but is asked to go there at a moment where the player is completly unfamiliar with it: After bed time. While it's a familiar place, it feels completly different and hostile because of that. That's clever. And I'm not even touching the part of that cutscene which is just amazing. Even today, despite the visual gap, it's just a better cutscene than 99% of the stuff you see in 3.

It’s such an underrated moment, everyone remembers the awesome cutscene and race to the harbour but understanding how to get there and being outside at this foreign time really adds to the tension and excitement of that moment. I think this video accurately captures why this works on a few different levels-

It’s such an underrated moment, everyone remembers the awesome cutscene and race to the harbour but understanding how to get there and being outside at this foreign time really adds to the tension and excitement of that moment. I think this video accurately captures why this works on a few different levels-

That definitely echoes my sentiment. And this is what makes Shenmue I and II so brillant. It's that kind of clever set pieces and narrative/gameplay moments. Which Shenmue III totally lacks.

Also the stamina 'issue' is basically an attempt to make you walk instead of run and enjoy the environments more and/or allow the next areas NPCs to load in a reasonable time. Nothing wrong with that.
Come on, that's bogus and you know it.

Anyone implementing restrictions like that is just making bad game design decisions. Punishing the player for moving at their own pace is pure arrogance.

Shenmue 3 is a good a game. It is a modern day Shenmue. That's a small Miracle if you ask me. Of course it is not perfect, it has some rought edges, and the Gameplay is not catered for People that want to rush through the game.
I think this is the main problem that deludes a lot of fans. It is indeed wonderful that Shenmue 3 came about. Accept that, and then judge the game on its own merits. Judge it as a game, don't let your wonderment that it even exists at all cloud your judgement of the product.

If people want to rush, then let them. Design a game that can be played by anyone, not just fans. The excessive padding and faux longevity is not good game design. It's just filler to extend the length of the game.

The post about "fan input" in the S4 forum made me think about what/how sees Shenmue.
Does he really sees the game as a storytelling medium ? Or the story is just the connection to make the player immerse in that virtual world ?
For me it's obvious that YS focused in the gameplay first, world building second and story third.
When asked about what he would like to add to the game YS always talks about random programming challenges like noodles expanding, snails racing, but not even a peep about story (and I remember interviews about YS forgetting some plot related stuff, it was with Shenmue-Master I believe, I don't remember the exact stuff).
It's not like since Shenmue "died" YS tried to do visual novels, wrote books, manga or did movies, he always cared about game design.
And it made me realize that while I do like the freedom, the gameloop of just asking around in this virtual world, I honestly don't care about all the other systems (hell, even the fighting system that is quite integral to Shenmue's journey I could do without). And what excites me is not necessarily what rocks Yu's boat.
I never cared about pawnshops, gambling, gatchapon, arcades, jobs, those were nice bonuses that added to the experience, and would be kinda missed, but not in detriment of the story for me. I wouldn't mind a Shenmue without ingame money (it made some sense in SII, but in S3 it felt... tacked in for some reason).
Maybe his vision was always of making this lifelike world and trying to make it as compelling as possible, and I have to respect that.
The story is what brings it all together. Walking around talking to people is meaningless if there's no story development as the reward. If Suzuki can't recognize the importance of the story, then Shenmue is lost. Without the story, S3 specifically, it's just a collection of very basic mini games like chopping wood and fishing.

Cool video.

What's interesting about that video is that's not how I played it in my most recent playthrough. I knew to go for the bike, so I didn't stumble around in the night talking to people. I don't remember how it originally played out for me back when the game initially released back in the day, but when I played it last time "I rushed" to the motorbike and skipped all that stuff.

Shenmue 1 and 2 gave us options and choices. It didn't force me through all of that other stuff. That's on the player to decide what to do. And that goes back to what Alex Bana said, stating Shenmue 3 implemented a stamina system to force you to take your time.... bad game design, plain and simple.

Good game design would encourage you to want to take your time because the world and the people are interesting, like in S1 and S2. Bad game design slows you down with unnecessary and intrusive systems., like needing to get $2000 for a bottle of wine early on in the game, when maintaining money was difficult because I was consuming so much garlic. That's bad game design.

Yeah, I'm not ready to commend Ys Net for implementing a system that forces you to walk because NPCs can't load that fast. They don't even load immediately when I walk, to be honest with you... I am still surprised the pop-in (might be the worst I've seen in years) and graphical glitches didn't come up much in reviews. I also agree "taking it slow" should be a choice, not something the designers force you to do. Clearly the choice to force stamina wasn't a popular one. I rarely see it come up as a big plus. I am ok with it in theory, but it wasn't implemented in a way that made me appreciate it. Rather, it's just an inconvenience.

Last edited:
Those elements have always been there. Ryo every day taking moment to pick up his allowance in first game, or short good morning sequence he would receive from Fangmei, Cool Z or Joy depending on his location.

Maybe it’s just my perspective but I always took this to create sense of familiarity and routine, which I think inherently are part of the games.
I see it a little different with the picking up allowance because its literally a 3 second scene that immediately transitions back to in game, as opposed to stopping, fading to black and having dialogue for 10 seconds then fading to black again. You can go from your room to out the house in 10-seconds. Seems nitpicky, but the shenhua break in action dialogue starts entering loading screen time lengths. This is on top of the mandatory conversation you need to have with her before leaving the actual house.

As far a waking up to Fengmei, Cool Z, etc., it happens as you wake up before you take control of the character so theres no second break in action like with Shenhua.

I see it a little different with the picking up allowance because its literally a 3 second scene that immediately transitions back to in game, as opposed to stopping, fading to black and having dialogue for 10 seconds then fading to black again. You can go from your room to out the house in 10-seconds. Seems nitpicky, but the shenhua break in action dialogue starts entering loading screen time lengths. This is on top of the mandatory conversation you need to have with her before leaving the actual house.

As far a waking up to Fengmei, Cool Z, etc., it happens as you wake up before you take control of the character so theres no second break in action like with Shenhua.
I don't find it immersive. It's literally one cutscene I need to watch possibly up to 50 times per area. I don't see the benefit of forcing the cutscene. If there were various cutscenes, perhaps it'd be a little more useful but I'd question the need to include multiple "farewell, have a nice day" cutscenes. One time would've been enough for me. I find it most annoying in the hotel since I need to talk to both the innkeeper and Shenhua and it breaks for both conversations. Of course the new patch makes it a little easier to skip it, which I appreciate

I don't find it immersive. It's literally one cutscene I need to watch possibly up to 50 times per area. I don't see the benefit of forcing the cutscene. If there were various cutscenes, perhaps it'd be a little more useful but I'd question the need to include multiple "farewell, have a nice day" cutscenes. One time would've been enough for me. I find it most annoying in the hotel since I need to talk to both the innkeeper and Shenhua and it breaks for both conversations. Of course the new patch makes it a little easier to skip it, which I appreciate
I agree with both of these.

In Bailu, I would talk to Shenhua on my own in the morning before leaving her house. Then I would exit the house and that mandatory cutscene would interrupt, with loading screens. It's invasive and there's no fluidity to it.

Again, it's another element that is forced on the player rather than letting the player choose.

Good game design would encourage you to want to take your time because the world and the people are interesting, like in S1 and S2. Bad game design slows you down with unnecessary and intrusive systems., like needing to get $2000 for a bottle of wine early on in the game, when maintaining money was difficult because I was consuming so much garlic. That's bad game design.
You mean like how Shenmue II forced me to save $500 just to meet Ren, when maintaining money was difficult because carrying crates with Delin and running a Lucky Hit stand were the most annoying and boring jobs imaginable?

I'm not trying to shit on Shenmue II, by the way. I love Shenmue II. But I always scratch my head when people spout off this specific complaint about Shenmue III, while touting Shenmue II as the pinnacle of gaming. Shenmue II made you do the exact same thing, except it was way more annoying there.

Neither Shenmue or Shenmue 2 are perfect. Justifying bad game design in Shenmue 3 in 2019 because it existed in either S1 or S2 20 years ago is irrational.

S1 and S2 are the base from which to build upon. We'd hope S3 would have learned from those games and improved upon them, not amplify the negatives of those games.

Additionally, you didn't have to buy foods in S1 or S2 like you do in S3. Everything you earned in those games would have gone directly to your goal of $500. In S3 you have to earn money just to maintain your health, so not only do you need to grind to reach those monetary goals, but you have to grind just to maintain.

Yeah, I'm not ready to commend Ys Net for implementing a system that forces you to walk because NPCs can't load that fast. They don't even load immediately when I walk, to be honest with you... I am still surprised the pop-in (might be the worst I've seen in years) and graphical glitches didn't come up much in reviews. I also agree "taking it slow" should be a choice, not something the designers force you to do. Clearly the choice to force stamina wasn't a popular one. I rarely see it come up as a big plus. I am ok with it in theory, but it wasn't implemented in a way that made me appreciate it. Rather, it's just an inconvenience.

And honestly, the loading of NPCs thing is inexcusable for a game that's not that, or shouldn't be taxing on the system. I mentioned a while back how I have a launch day Ps4. This 7 year old, creaky piece of junk runs games like the RDR2s, GTA Vs, Horizon Zero Dawn's, Just Causes, etc. With no problems. They shrink into the distance and dont pop in. Objects disappear over the horizon.

Encouraging us to walk for that reason is poor way of hiding technical flaws. And while the environments are nice, no environment is that interesting and immersive when there is nothing to do in certain stretches of land except pick herbs.

I dont think people are gladly walking from Shenhuas house, down the pathway, across the bridge and up the hill every day in-game to admire the throne Shenmue tree, flowers and the river. Same with Niaowu. Just like I don't think anyone felt a loss of immersion or enjoyment of the environments running all over the S1 and S2 maps.

Nobody is walking in GTA, RDR2, Skyrim, the Witcher, etc. because they want to enjoy the environments more. The environments factored in with the enjoyment of the game overall are what make the environments enjoyable while still being able to run everywhere. Simply having nice pretty flowers ain't gonna cut it. That's where games like LA Noire failed. Why should I take my time and expre this massive virtual LA? Why should I take my time and stroll down the hill to admire the colorful flowers?

@Thomasina I see the game as a game and i also see the flaws, but the flaws are typical Shenmue Gameplay elements. In 1 you had to wait a whole day if you fail to trigger a certain gameplay element, which can by very annoying Especially in the Harbor, when some events are only triggered when you visit locations in a certain way during a certain time frame. S2 had the money earning feature twice. Costed also lots of time. The airing the books segment is also quite annoying. The plank segment in s2 also from another world. Very time consuming.

S3 is not doing anything worse or better than Shenmue 2. So I really do not get it when people bash S3 and call bad game design, and are just talking good things about the other games.

And what is ths bad game design supposed to be anyway? And what is good game design?

Yeah, I'm not ready to commend Ys Net for implementing a system that forces you to walk because NPCs can't load that fast.

Not only signaling you out but I don’t know why users are taking this posters idle speculation as fact when we received no such indication from pre release interviews. Unless he’s conflating the forced walking sections in Niaowu, which from all indications appear to be there to help stream/load map and assets.

While the pop-in of models was distracting I found the uncapped framerate more egregious. I am considering saving my replay for PC, so I can enjoy fluid 60FPS which based off my time with the trial significantly improved the moment to moment gameplay thanks to additional fluidity.

Last edited:
I assume that’s what those are for as well. It’s the same reason most games have the oft-maligned ladder/rope sections. They are a bit jarring, but don’t really bother me. Better than a loading screen. If Ys Net didn’t want us to run, then they could’ve just completely removed a run command...

Yes, so just as I said, deflect and shit on other things because we both know S3 cant stand on its own. Because otherwise you could've give me exemples of good chara dev in S3, other than "Ryo is smiling !" (He did in 2 too). Instead you prefer syaing "Robo ryo in i and ii" which I demonstrated to be false.
Game, set, match. Point. Trick. Game over. End of game.

Neither Shenmue or Shenmue 2 are perfect. Justifying bad game design in Shenmue 3 in 2019 because it existed in either S1 or S2 20 years ago is irrational.

S1 and S2 are the base from which to build upon. We'd hope S3 would have learned from those games and improved upon them, not amplify the negatives of those games.
See, now you're changing your argument. First it was "Shenmue I & II had great game design, but Shenmue III has terrible game design!" Now it's "Shenmue I & II also had poor game design but Shenmue III didn't improve upon it!"

The fact of the matter is that for almost every "poor game design" choice in Shenmue III, I can come up with something analogous in the first two games. That's just Shenmue. Could the stamina system have been implemented better? Probably. But I accept it because it was part of the new circular economy system, which I think was very well thought out overall. With the exception of maybe combat and the QTE implementation, I find Shenmue III to be the best in the series from a pure gameplay perspective.

Shenmue 1 and 2 gave us options and choices. It didn't force me through all of that other stuff. That's on the player to decide what to do.
I feel like Shenmue III gives you the most options and choices in the series. Yes, you have to earn money and train. But they give you many different ways to do this and they're all fairly fun. And I actually like the fact that you basically need to train to be proficient at fighting. That was always a concept in Shenmue, but the gameplay never reflected it. As Ryo said in Shenmue I, "I'll lose my edge if I don't practice." Shenmue III is the first game in the series that makes the player adhere to GON.

Disc 3 of Shenmue I and Disc 4 of Shenmue II were essentially on-rails. How many options and choices did you have there?

I agree with both of these.

In Bailu, I would talk to Shenhua on my own in the morning before leaving her house. Then I would exit the house and that mandatory cutscene would interrupt, with loading screens. It's invasive and there's no fluidity to it.

Again, it's another element that is forced on the player rather than letting the player choose.
You know what? Forget about the Come Over Guest House example. Now that I think about it, what about Disc 3 of Shenmue I? Each morning you have to watch Ryo wake up and look at his notebook. Then there's a loading screen. Then you have to watch Ryo get off the bus. Then you have to watch Mark's forklift race introduction. Then you have to compete in the forklift race. Then you have to watch Mark give you your prize. Then you have to watch Mark tell you about your route for the day. After all of that, you can finally begin your mandatory forklift job for the day where you still have no real choices or options.

Or how about in Shenmue II when you're forced to air out books every morning until you reach a certain point in the story? Is that not invasive?

Please note that I'm not even complaining about these things. Shenmue I is my favorite game in the series and I love pretty much every moment of it, including Disc 3. I also actually enjoy airing out the books, mostly because of the excellent music and the relaxing atmosphere of it. And Disc 4 of Shenmue II is one of my favorite parts of the series. But considering all of these things (and those are just a few examples), I fail to see how Shenmue I & II give you so many "options and choices" but Shenmue III "forces you through stuff." In many ways, it is quite the opposite.

I completely understand the criticisms about things like story, lack of character development outside of Ryo and Shenhua, and writing/localization. I share many of the same feelings about these aspects of the game. But I 100% disagree that it has "bad game design." It has the most robust gameplay of the series. You despise the inclusion of Face Off so deeply, but the first two games allowed you to pay money to watch a cutscene of Ryo drinking a soda which did absolutely nothing! It's the same thing. Like I said, that's just Shenmue. It's the way it's always been.

See, now you're changing your argument. First it was "Shenmue I & II had great game design, but Shenmue III has terrible game design!" Now it's "Shenmue I & II also had poor game design but Shenmue III didn't improve upon it!"

The fact of the matter is that for almost every "poor game design" choice in Shenmue III, I can come up with something analogous in the first two games. That's just Shenmue. Could the stamina system have been implemented better? Probably. But I accept it because it was part of the new circular economy system, which I think was very well thought out overall. With the exception of maybe combat and the QTE implementation, I find Shenmue III to be the best in the series from a pure gameplay perspective.

I feel like Shenmue III gives you the most options and choices in the series. Yes, you have to earn money and train. But they give you many different ways to do this and they're all fairly fun. And I actually like the fact that you basically need to train to be proficient at fighting. That was always a concept in Shenmue, but the gameplay never reflected it. As Ryo said in Shenmue I, "I'll lose my edge if I don't practice." Shenmue III is the first game in the series that makes the player adhere to GON.

Disc 3 of Shenmue I and Disc 4 of Shenmue II were essentially on-rails. How many options and choices did you have there?

You know what? Forget about the Come Over Guest House example. Now that I think about it, what about Disc 3 of Shenmue I? Each morning you have to watch Ryo wake up and look at his notebook. Then there's a loading screen. Then you have to watch Ryo get off the bus. Then you have to watch Mark's forklift race introduction. Then you have to compete in the forklift race. Then you have to watch Mark give you your prize. Then you have to watch Mark tell you about your route for the day. After all of that, you can finally begin your mandatory forklift job for the day where you still have no real choices or options.

Or how about in Shenmue II when you're forced to air out books every morning until you reach a certain point in the story? Is that not invasive?

Please note that I'm not even complaining about these things. Shenmue I is my favorite game in the series and I love pretty much every moment of it, including Disc 3. I also actually enjoy airing out the books, mostly because of the excellent music and the relaxing atmosphere of it. And Disc 4 of Shenmue II is one of my favorite parts of the series. But considering all of these things (and those are just a few examples), I fail to see how Shenmue I & II give you so many "options and choices" but Shenmue III "forces you through stuff." In many ways, it is quite the opposite.

I completely understand the criticisms about things like story, lack of character development outside of Ryo and Shenhua, and writing/localization. I share many of the same feelings about these aspects of the game. But I 100% disagree that it has "bad game design." It has the most robust gameplay of the series. You despise the inclusion of Face Off so deeply, but the first two games allowed you to pay money to watch a cutscene of Ryo drinking a soda which did absolutely nothing! It's the same thing. Like I said, that's just Shenmue. It's the way it's always been.
You can get winning Cans to draw tickets for l
Prizes at tomato convenience. There was a point to buying sodas. Also, the soda cutscene itself was likely just product placement for coca cola as they had the license to use it in japan. Im not sure what face off was for.

Back